Houston
Sponsored by

NHL in Houston?

6,231 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Plus Vegas had to pay 500 mil to just get the rights to create an expansion team.
7nine
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Just bring back the Candy-paint blue, red, and white as the color scheme.

You can call them the Houston Hustlers, Rustlers, or Roughnecks or whatever....

I also see a dearth of other colors represented as NHL team colors:

Where is the green, purple, gray, yellow, black primary?
Ag_07
AG
Damn the Roughnecks with a Luv Ya Blue color scheme would be pretty sick. Think that would already kinda get people's attention and rope them in.

Doubt you could use the oil derrick but Luv Ya Blue color scheme with a pump jack or something would be cool.

BTW just as a side note while image searching roughneck I fell down into the rabbit hole of roughneck tattoos and I'm not sure if they're impressive or disturbing. Wow
David_Puddy
AG
Ice soccer doesn't belong in a city where it doesn't ever get cold enough for the ice to freeze. Bad idea.....keep that sh-t up north for the yankees and Canadians.
Coog97
Ag_07 said:

True but that was before the Aeros.

My guess is that once the Aeros ship sailed he didn't see it as a profitable enough to pursue bringing a hockey team back to Houston or he would have. Or he wouldn't have let the Aeros go in the first place.

Although if hockey can work in Vegas why not here?

I'm not a business savant so I'm not gonna say one way or the other. Like I said I'd be a casual fan if it happened.
The Rockets-Aeros relationship was toxic for years, dating back to when Les and the Rockets were actually tenants to Chuck Watson and the Aeros ownership group, who controlled the Compaq Center lease. Watson's NHL expansion bid was also selected over Alexander's, which led to Les sabotaging the first attempt to strike a deal for a new arena (and why the Watson NHL bid, of which Bob McNair was also a part, was ultimately unsuccessful.) Les didn't "let the Aeros go," he drove them out of town over that old grudge, despite the fact that Aeros team ownership had changed.
BassCowboy33
SpreadsheetAg said:

Just bring back the Candy-paint blue, red, and white as the color scheme.

You can call them the Houston Hustlers, Rustlers, or Roughnecks or whatever....

I also see a dearth of other colors represented as NHL team colors:

Where is the green, purple, gray, yellow, black primary?

That color graph is a bit outdated. The Stars haven't used those black/gold jerseys in 4-5 years. They now have a solid green with black and white stripes. Unfortunately for me, I bought the black jersey about a month before they switched to green.

The Wild jersey on there is misleading as well, because of the red. More often than not, they wear their solid green at home these days.

One of the reasons the Stars went to the full green is that no other team used it as a sole primary color. Minnesota will still use the red jersey at times.

Edit: Because I can't figure out how to post pictures.
Ag_07
AG
Coog97 said:

Ag_07 said:

My guess is that once the Aeros ship sailed he didn't see it as a profitable enough to pursue bringing a hockey team back to Houston or he would have. Or he wouldn't have let the Aeros go in the first place.

I'm not a business savant so I'm not gonna say one way or the other. Like I said I'd be a casual fan if it happened.
The Rockets-Aeros relationship was toxic for years, dating back to when Les and the Rockets were actually tenants to Chuck Watson and the Aeros ownership group, who controlled the Compaq Center lease. Watson's NHL expansion bid was also selected over Alexander's, which led to Les sabotaging the first attempt to strike a deal for a new arena (and why the Watson NHL bid, of which Bob McNair was also a part, was ultimately unsuccessful.) Les didn't "let the Aeros go," he drove them out of town over that old grudge, despite the fact that Aeros team ownership had changed.

Huh that's interesting. I never knew they were tenants to the Aeros.

I always assumed Les drove the Aeros away because he figured he could make more money off of concerts.

I just find it odd that if the NHL would be so successful here why didn't Les pursue it more diligently?
Coog97
Ag_07 said:

Coog97 said:

Ag_07 said:

Huh that's interesting. I never knew they were tenants to the Aeros.

I always assumed Les drove the Aeros away because he figured he could make more money off of concerts.

I just find it odd that if the NHL would be so successful here why didn't Les pursue it more diligently?
Les made a pretty serious play to buy the Edmonton Oilers, then bring them here... then, his was one of three initial ownership bids for a team in Houston during the late 90s NHL expansion (before losing out to Watson when those three were pared to one.) After neither worked out, I guess he lost interest. Who knows?

FWIW, I'm a lifelong NHL hockey fan, despite having been raised here, and I'm skeptical that the NHL will play in Houston. The Aeros were the right situation as far as professional hockey in Houston, IMO.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
SpreadsheetAg
AG
vaahhhrrry nnniiiiiceeeee /borat
KDubAg
AG
Maybe they can kick Joel Osteen out and turn Lakewood Church back into a sports venue.

Playing at Toyota Center would be my biggest problem. Hate driving into downtown for an evening event during the week.
Ag_07
AG
KDubAg said:

Maybe they can kick Joel Osteen out and turn Lakewood Church back into a sports venue.

Playing at Toyota Center would be my biggest problem. Hate driving into downtown for an evening event during the week.

That's odd. I think moving the sports venues downtown has been great.

Lots of cool places to eat and drink both before and after games. Getting there has never been an issue even during the World Series.
Panama Red
AG
KDubAg said:

Are you my grandmother?
Forum Troll
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Forum Troll said:

Aeros did fine here and they were a minor league team. NHL here would do good. If it comes though, hope to God they don't make some ****ty team name like the Texans.

Go back to Wisconsin
People like our NFL team's name? Who knew.
MAS444
AG
Odd that you're okay to drive the 15 - 20 minutes in from any suburb in town but not the extra few exits to downtown.
KDubAg
AG
Every once in a while is fine. But I wouldn't want to drive into downtown 3 nights a week if I had season tickets. If I worked or lived near downtown, it'll be cool. Most of my driving to and from work is around 5:30am-6:15am two days a week.

Just my opinion.
The Original AG 76
AG
Here is a well made video that any Houston Aero ( WHA) fan will enjoy.

WES2006AG
AG
Having baseball and basketball in downtown is one of the best ideas ever. There's a lot to do downtown now.
htxag09
AG
he's probably driving in from sugar land or Katy...
JYDog90
AG
What's the NHL labor situation like?
Formerly Willy Wonka
Scantron882
AG
Would like to see the NHL here

Would hope they would go with Aeros and the 70s colors/logo
Satellite of Love
crosswalk said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Houston Eulers!!!

Or 1836

Or Roughnecks

Or Armadillos

(**** Bud Adams)
Mexicans don't care about hockey so they ain't gonna batch about it like they did for the Dynamo.

They would show up in droves to buy all the championship gear in a heart beat! Show that support for none of the effort.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Al Bula
AG
I wouldn't mind another sports franchise for Houston but the downtown area is gonna be murder for years starting in 2020 or 2021 due to the insane plan to redo the freeways. Might deter attendance.
schmendeler
AG
It's amazing to me how confounding one way streets are to people who don't come downtown. People at my office throw fits if we have events downtown. "Where do we park?!?!"
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.