Houston
Sponsored by

NHL in Houston?

6,220 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
gindaloon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tillman NHL
Aggie Rick
AG
Uncle Tito needs to focus on not screwing up the Rockets and not serving overpriced seafood before trying to bring an-undoubtedly-sure-to-fail NHL team to Houston.
Texaggie7nine
MAROON
AG
NHL would do just fine in Houston.
bearkatag15
AG
The NHL would do well here. There are so many transplants here from areas of the country that are big into hockey plus there will be plenty of new fans converted to the sport. Dallas does well averaging about middle of the league in attendance. We would be similar I believe.
HvilleAggie
AG
I'd watch
GCRanger
AG
The Aeros leaving left a void for hockey fans. I knew quite a few people that went regularly or had season tickets. I'd certainly go if we got an NHL team.
mazag08
AG
I would have season tickets
The Milkman
AG
Aggie Rick said:

Uncle Tito needs to focus on not screwing up the Rockets and not serving overpriced seafood before trying to bring an-undoubtedly-sure-to-fail NHL team to Houston.
I think Tilman knows how to price his seafood. Landry's is doing just fine
tandy miller
AG
Ice lacrosse
MAS444
AG
Yeah I wonder if Tilman will ever figure out the whole restaurant thing. What a dummy.
The Original AG 76
AG
This would be great. I had season tickets to the WHA Houston Aeros and loved the game. Its great in person but takes some getting used to for TV.
Big Cat `93
AG
Agreed. It's okay on TV but absolutely killer in person.
KDubAg
AG
Yep. That's what I normally told people. Okay on tv but pretty cool in person. I didn't live in Houston so I grew up watch the Stars back when Mike Modano, Ed Belfour, and Brett Hull were playing. Those were some badass games and good memories with my grandfather.

I enjoyed the Aeros games when I went but it doesn't compare to watching professional hockey.

Give up my Aggie Football Tickets and get season tickets to hockey in Houston.
88jrt06
AG
I like fights!
Puts WW to shame. Real fists.
Bring it , Uncle Tillman!
88jrt06
AG
tandy miller said:

Ice lacrosse

Some would consider your death, here.
Not me, BTW!
ATM9000
AG
Be cool to see NHL in Houston but unsure how it works.

I saw a study where apparently there are only like 150k people in the greater Houston area who ascribe themselves hockey fans... I guess that's probably solve out in time. But the big problem is that a hockey team would almost guaranteed get the secondary dates at Toyota Center to the Rockets and be secondary on the lease. That works for cities with either huge populations or aren't commuter cities and places with crappy weather where sports is all you have in the winter where drawing crowds is pretty easy on a weeknight. It will crash and burn in a commuter city like Houston though. Probably work out like the Atlanta Thrashers did.
Forum Troll
AG
Aeros did fine here and they were a minor league team. NHL here would do good. If it comes though, hope to God they don't make some ****ty team name like the Texans.
bearkatag15
AG
Does anyone think having green and black as primary colors with the Aeros logo for an NHL team being an issue considering Dallas uses those colors for their team colors?

Put it on the list of s**t to worry about later but just thought it was something to consider. I've never seen 2 same state teams in any sport have the same primary colors for their team colors. That would lead me to believe the Aeros would not be in play.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Houston Eulers!!!

Or 1836

Or Roughnecks

Or Armadillos

(**** Bud Adams)
Arthur Stilwell
SpreadsheetAg said:

Houston Eulers!!!

Or 1836

Or Roughnecks

Or Armadillos

(**** Bud Adams)
Mexicans don't care about hockey so they ain't gonna batch about it like they did for the Dynamo.
The Original AG 76
AG
Forum Troll said:

Aeros did fine here and they were a minor league team. NHL here would do good. If it comes though, hope to God they don't make some ****ty team name like the Texans.
THE original Aeros were not a minor league team and had great fan support . The WHA team that featured Gordie Howe and co and won a couple of Avco World Cups had a great looking dark blue and white color scheme. Hopefully the new Aeros will also feature that logo.
BMX Bandit
Forum Troll said:

Go back to Wisconsin
Your Friend
Forum Troll said:

"Now taking the ice, your Houston Texians!!!"
ATM9000
AG
Forum Troll said:

They did fine... Until Les killed their below market lease and raised the rent 300% and refused to share concession sales, etc with them. He realized he could make a hell of a lot more money on concerts than on doing minor league hockey for 6 months.

Realize the NHL is a bigger ticket, but how much bigger is the question when they get porked on most of the prime time nights to hose games on.

You have that... And the NHL is apparently asking half a billion dollars for the next expansion team... That's not a discount to the valuation of most existing franchises. I just don't see how they make NHL economically viable unless Tillman is willing to purchase a franchise and effectively rob some of the advantages the Rockets have by being the primary event in the Toyota Center to make it work... And I wouldn't call that an economically viable move.
The Milkman
AG
Isn't scheduling for the leagues done independently of the team? Not sure how it works in cities with teams sharing an arena, but how would one team get an advantage on scheduling since we don't do it ourselves.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not sure how viable it is as a business, but I kinda think if Les didn't pursue it that's probably not worth it.

If it did happen I'd probably become a fan.
Texaggie7nine
Ag_07 said:

I'm not sure how viable it is as a business, but I kinda think if Les didn't pursue it that's probably not worth it.

If it did happen I'd probably become a fan.
Les tried buying the Edmonton Oilers back in like 98. The deal fell through when the owners got more funding to keep the team. So Les did at one point think NHL would have worked here.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
True but that was before the Aeros.

My guess is that once the Aeros ship sailed he didn't see it as a profitable enough to pursue bringing a hockey team back to Houston or he would have. Or he wouldn't have let the Aeros go in the first place.

Although if hockey can work in Vegas why not here?

I'm not a business savant so I'm not gonna say one way or the other. Like I said I'd be a casual fan if it happened.
runontexas
AG
Houston will never be a hockey town.
AgCPA95
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Forum Troll said:

THE original Aeros were not a minor league team and had great fan support . The WHA team that featured Gordie Howe and co and won a couple of Avco World Cups had a great looking dark blue and white color scheme. Hopefully the new Aeros will also feature that logo.
BassCowboy33
Big Dallas Stars fan here. A few notes:

1) I've been pining for an NHL team in Houston for years. The city supported the Aeros well back in the day, and I think that they'd support an NHL team well. It'd also allow Houston to join the group of Major Sports Cities that have all four major North American sports.

2) It'd be great for Dallas to get a "real" rival in the Western Conference. The Stars have switched divisions multiple times since they moved to Dallas, and it's hurt any budding rivalry. In the 90s, the Dallas-Colorado-Detroit rivalry was pretty strong, because those three teams dominated for about a decade+; however, as the success of all those teams died off, so did the hatred.

In the 00s, it was Dallas-Anaheim-San Jose, but I think the hate from the California teams towards Dallas was worse than the other way around. Getting another Central Division team in Texas would be awesome.

3) On y'all's color combination, don't go with green. There are already two teams in the Central whose primary colors are green: Dallas (Green/Black/White) and Minnesota (Dark Green/Red/White). I'd suggest Houston do what Pittsburgh does, and choose a color of a team that's already there. I think the Navy/Orange combination that the Astros have would look awesome. There aren't many teams in hockey that have any kind of combination like that.
The Milkman
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

3) On y'all's color combination, don't go with green. There are already two teams in the Central whose primary colors are green: Dallas (Green/Black/White) and Minnesota (Dark Green/Red/White). I'd suggest Houston do what Pittsburgh does, and choose a color of a team that's already there. I think the Navy/Orange combination that the Astros have would look awesome. There aren't many teams in hockey that have any kind of combination like that.
I was thinking exactly this. I love that Pittsburgh has one color schedule for all their teams. That way their fans can easily have their sports wardrobe crossover.

I think the Astros color scheme is by far the best and the most unique, but I'd be surprised if Tilman went with colors of a team he didnt have an association with. If they instead went for an retro Rockets Red/Gold/White I think that would look pretty sharp and also unique for the NHL
XpressAg09
AG
I'm wondering if he took notice of the Golden Knights expansion team leading their division in their first year and hopes he can pull something similar here. Only concern is that expansion teams don't typically start this hot, so if/when the team struggles, how long until there's a lack of attendance and interest.
BassCowboy33
XpressAg09 said:

I'm wondering if he took notice of the Golden Knights expansion team leading their division in their first year and hopes he can pull something similar here. Only concern is that expansion teams don't typically start this hot, so if/when the team struggles, how long until there's a lack of attendance and interest.
The NHL changed their expansion rules. The new way of getting an expansion team allows for a much better chance of being instantly competitive, although Vegas probably shouldn't be considered the norm.

Edit: I also think you'd be surprised how quickly hockey catches on. It grew like wildfire in DFW. When the Stars moved in 1994, there was one hockey rink in the entire metroplex. Now, there are 30ish and still growing. It's become a high school sport (still working on UIL) and the area is beginning to put players in the NHL. It's the fastest growing sport in all of DFW, and it creates a great alternative for families who are worried about concussions, while still wanting to enjoy physicality and teamwork that come as part of growing up. Hockey has done an excellent job of regulating hitting in youth play, while still letting kids be physical. Other than football, no sport creates the teamwork aspect like hockey. The big downside is that it's mad expensive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.