Houston
Sponsored by

Terrible Texans season

6,595 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigjag19
Boo Weekley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BowSowy said:

Boo Weekley said:

Texans suck and always will. I am 100% convinced I am in sports hell. Occasionally one of my teams will make a solid run, but this is only to let me down in the big game when it counts. If i care about a team, they are going to suck. Maybe I should try to develop a genuine affinity for our rivals, but not sure how I could ever do that when I hate them? Open to ideas.
Please don't be an Astros fan
I have tried pretending like I don't care about a team and it doesn't work. The Stros will get the city's hopes up and then lose in the ALCS in dramatic fashion and will never be the same again. None of our teams will ever do anything of real merit in our lifetimes. Hold your wives, spend time with your kids and cherish the moments of laughter and camaraderie with your friends. Sports don't matter.
RK
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Texans suck and always will. I am 100% convinced I am in sports hell. Occasionally one of my teams will make a solid run, but this is only to let me down in the big game when it counts. If i care about a team, they are going to suck. Maybe I should try to develop a genuine affinity for our rivals, but not sure how I could ever do that when I hate them? Open to ideas.
you have a pick a good team that you are pretty emotionally neutral about. i'm a full-bore Clemson fan at this particular time.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ATM9000 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Miller will learn how to be physical and get away with it. He's not a small dude at WR- listed at 6'2" 216#; he's just still very much learning how to play WR.

If Braxton Miller is in the league 2 seasons from now, I'd be shocked. He's a sloppy and inefficient route runner and, while he's a great athlete, he's not near athletic enough to get away with that inefficiency. Maybe he gets better, but I've not seen it yet.

But that's my problem generally w/ Bill O'Brien and why I think he sucks. Rick Smith gets too vilified as a GM in my opinion. What should bug everyone is that you see little development and growth from players under O'Brien. That's on the coach and why I think our staff stinks. It's more than just we've had bad quarterbacks... the players on the team just don't really get much better... especially on the offensive side of the ball. As the starts get older, that's going to get to be a big problem.

That could potentially be true on Miller. He was drafted largely on athletic potential and it's definitely on the staff to develop him, teach him to run routes properly, etc.

But taking him with a 3rd round pick is on Smith. There's no chance in hell he deserved to go that high. He was a 5th or later pick, maybe should have been a UFA. And Smith's problems in the draft predate O'Brien by a long time.

O'Brien sucks but you cannot let Smith off the hook. Smith has been the GM since 2006 but his first draft was 2007. Look at his picks after the first round since then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history#2006

There's a whole lot of nothing in there.
Coog97
Finn Maccumhail said:

O'Brien sucks but you cannot let Smith off the hook. Smith has been the GM since 2006 but his first draft was 2007. Look at his picks after the first round since then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history#2006

And that 2006 draft (Casserly's last) was the best one they've had... and it could've been even better, had fat Ron Dayne not fallen on Spencer's leg and ended his career before it started. Mario was the right pick at #1, though I still feel like they should've traded that pick to the Jets and moved down to #4 and picked up extra picks in the early rounds. New York was a slam dunk to take Bush first... even if the Texans truly wanted Williams, if the Saints had taken him second, well, take Ferguson at four and they have their franchise left tackle (and don't take Brown the next year,) plus the extra picks with which to build.
Boo Weekley
RK said:

Boo Weekley said:

you have a pick a good team that you are pretty emotionally neutral about. i'm a full-bore Clemson fan at this particular time.
Funny you mention that, I have adopted a similar strategy. I have become a die hard Clemson and Bama fan. Have been to both states and they're beautiful and everyone I met there was friendly and I felt like I could have just as easily been born in either place. Go Clemson and Roll f-ing Tide.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Boo Weekley said:

BowSowy said:

Boo Weekley said:

Please don't be an Astros fan
I have tried pretending like I don't care about a team and it doesn't work. The Stros will get the city's hopes up and then lose in the ALCS in dramatic fashion and will never be the same again. None of our teams will ever do anything of real merit in our lifetimes. Hold your wives, spend time with your kids and cherish the moments of laughter and camaraderie with your friends. Sports don't matter.
ATM9000
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

ATM9000 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Miller will learn how to be physical and get away with it. He's not a small dude at WR- listed at 6'2" 216#; he's just still very much learning how to play WR.

If Braxton Miller is in the league 2 seasons from now, I'd be shocked. He's a sloppy and inefficient route runner and, while he's a great athlete, he's not near athletic enough to get away with that inefficiency. Maybe he gets better, but I've not seen it yet.

But that's my problem generally w/ Bill O'Brien and why I think he sucks. Rick Smith gets too vilified as a GM in my opinion. What should bug everyone is that you see little development and growth from players under O'Brien. That's on the coach and why I think our staff stinks. It's more than just we've had bad quarterbacks... the players on the team just don't really get much better... especially on the offensive side of the ball. As the starts get older, that's going to get to be a big problem.

That could potentially be true on Miller. He was drafted largely on athletic potential and it's definitely on the staff to develop him, teach him to run routes properly, etc.

But taking him with a 3rd round pick is on Smith. There's no chance in hell he deserved to go that high. He was a 5th or later pick, maybe should have been a UFA. And Smith's problems in the draft predate O'Brien by a long time.

Couple of points:

1. Miller was basically projected in the mid-2nd to mid-3rd round in 2016. As a prospect, he wasn't considered a 5th round or later prospect. The problem isn't that Rick just takes a **** on draft values and drafts guys way early or late. In fact, just search Texags Texans drafts and you'll see for the most part, people aren't pissed off on the Sunday after the draft... that's a good indicator that he's not drafting guys way early, etc.

2. Even the best GM's draft history is going to look like that after the first round. If you look at 2007-2013-ish, he drafted a lot of NFL starters and contributors that lasted more than 4 seasons in the league... that's a good indicator he's not **** the bed in the draft. What would bug me is break that list down now between 2007 and 2013 (Kubiak years) and then the BOB years... If you look at it that way, you should notice a drop off in late round player contributions and general early career development.

I don't love Rick Smith by any means, but people should be pissed and pretty concerned with how little players develop under the current regime. Butt chin is a bad coach. That's not even mentioning his putrid offensive mess... Good God he's such an aimless playcaller.

But hey... he drops a lot of f bombs and yells so the non-football players can get their little boners over what a hardnosed coach he is. QB guru my ass.
ATM9000
AG
Coog97 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

And that 2006 draft (Casserly's last) was the best one they've had... and it could've been even better, had fat Ron Dayne not fallen on Spencer's leg and ended his career before it started. Mario was the right pick at #1, though I still feel like they should've traded that pick to the Jets and moved down to #4 and picked up extra picks in the early rounds. New York was a slam dunk to take Bush first... even if the Texans truly wanted Williams, if the Saints had taken him second, well, take Ferguson at four and they have their franchise left tackle (and don't take Brown the next year,) plus the extra picks with which to build.

Mario was drafted in a time where there was no rookie scale when negotiating a contract at number 1 was almost just as important as who you picked. I question how true those rumors were for that reason plus I remember the rumors leading up to the draft of the Jets being most concerned with Ferguson being on the board still at 4. I don't think they were close to a sure thing to take Reggie Bush in 2006.
Coog97
ATM9000 said:

Coog97 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Mario was drafted in a time where there was no rookie scale when negotiating a contract at number 1 was almost just as important as who you picked. I question how true those rumors were for that reason plus I remember the rumors leading up to the draft of the Jets being most concerned with Ferguson being on the board still at 4. I don't think they were close to a sure thing to take Reggie Bush in 2006.

They tried to make a deal with New Orleans to move up to two to take Bush.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/sports/football/jets-offer-is-easy-to-refuse-as-saints-snap-up-bush.html
Ciboag96
The Texans investors are Raking. It. In.

Why would they worry about wins and crap? Profitable by a mile. One giant beer commercial.

And those yankee and west coast transplants are eating it up. "I've been there since the beginning. Go Texans!! Woooo!!" Yeah? You transferred 16 years ago from Tonawanada and have had season tickets for your 2.5 kids and premium parking for your X5. **** you. You weren't here when Campbell was plowing fools over, or Bradshaw was losing his 5th tooth, or Buffalo ripped our hearts out. You don't know ***** We were a blue collar town with a blue collar team, Derek Dolls who we dreamed about and Crazy George banking the **** out of his snare, while we were covered in Columbia Blue and Bud Adams was a ****ing dick. Take your "Texans" and shove them up your Columbia Law asses.

I just remembered it's been over 2 weeks since I pissed on Bud Adams grave. I gotta get on that.
K Bo
AG
Garbage secondary on that last drive and wtf burning 10s not calling a timeout. Good game but disappointing result.
Icecream_Ag
S
K Bo said:

Garbage secondary on that last drive and wtf burning 10s not calling a timeout. Good game but disappointing result.
He made Sumlin look like a good clock manager
K Bo
AG
Sumlin to the Texans
sts7049
AG
another moral victory
schmellba99
AG
K Bo said:

This. For the life of me i cannot comprehend WTF a timeout was not called and a full play's worth of time was wasted. Amateur hour.
sts7049
AG
jj and mercilus go down
Icecream_Ag
S
sts7049 said:

jj and mercilus go down
and not Texans but Terrell who was hurt on the opening kick is an Aggie
Ags #1
AG
Now 3-3 and Watson looking good
bigjag19
AG
Smith still needs to go
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.