Houston
Sponsored by

Best tent camping near Woodlands

2,971 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JSKolache
TexAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to do a bit of tent camping during the long weekend. Anyone have any good/cheap suggestions?
The Wonderer
AG
Sam Houston National Forest.

There are campgrounds on/around Lake Conroe.
herb96
AG
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.732528,-95.3794197,19z
Liquid Wrench
Just hold out for the Middlelands Festival.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Huntsville State Park is just up the road. Have camped there in tent and in more recent years in our travel trailer. Nice park.
Texaggie7nine
ChiliBeans said:

Just hold out for the Middlelands Festival.

He said cheap.
7nine
SpreadsheetAg
AG
HumbleAg said:

Huntsville State Park is just up the road. Have camped there in tent and in more recent years in our travel trailer. Nice park.
Booked for nearly every weekend according to the TX State Park reservations website
TXTransplant
My son and his dad like to camp at Lake Houston - the Lake Houston Wilderness Park.
TexAg2001
AG
Huntsville State Park is great. Also try Lake Livingston State Park and maybe Martin Dies State Park
Texaggie7nine
Anyone know of any places within a few hours or so from Houston where you can basically tent camp anywhere in a given area of the park, so you aren't stuck in camping grounds with other people?

I always get jealous of my cousin in Colorado who posts pictures of their trips where they just pitch a tent at some random lake in the middle of some vast park and there are no other people in sight.
7nine
The Wonderer
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone know of any places within a few hours or so from Houston where you can basically tent camp anywhere in a given area of the park, so you aren't stuck in camping grounds with other people?

I always get jealous of my cousin in Colorado who posts pictures of their trips where they just pitch a tent at some random lake in the middle of some vast park and there are no other people in sight.
Not unless you head way out west . Most parks want you in certain designated areas.
Texaggie7nine
Well I got curious and looked it up. You are right except for one small National Reserve not too far from here. Big Thicket National Reserve.

https://www.nps.gov/bith/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm

Anyone been here?

I might check this out.
7nine
Jack Cheese
AG
Stubblefield Lake is a smaller camping area near New Waverly. I've had some luck over the years snagging a site on short notice.
southernskies
An unknown tidbit that we capitalized on all the time while living in Montana....You can camp wherever you want for free in any National Forest. Now there may be pockets of National Forests that are off limits but they are the way to go for camping. $Free.99 and never have to make a reservation
agz win
AG
Wolf Creek Park near Coldspring on Livingston. There is large acreage to the left of it with no people around and waterfront.
randy828
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

HumbleAg said:

Booked for nearly every weekend according to the TX State Park reservations website
There was a random weekend this past October that I decided on the last minute to take my son camping...called and they said they were booked, but they have a "no-show" call at 2pm...deal is you have to show up...and they had a waiting list...so I thought I would at least take my son fishing and would show up at the office (you have to be there in person to get a "no-show" spot...so we got t their office about 1:30 and they told us they thought we would get a spot..so we waited around a few minutes and they went ahead and gave us a spot. Worked out great as a cold front blew in that night...perfect for camping.
OXDL45
AG
TXTransplant said:

My son and his dad like to camp at Lake Houston - the Lake Houston Wilderness Park.

Always wanted to visit there. Wasn't sure if anyone actually camped out though.
Ragoo
AG
Find an army corps park.
TXTransplant
OXDL45 said:

TXTransplant said:

Always wanted to visit there. Wasn't sure if anyone actually camped out though.
I think they've been there a couple of times. They've also camped on the beach in Galveston, and done a couple of weekends at the cabins at Camp Cullen, too. Camp Cullen is actually a great deal for cabin "camping", but you have to book in advance through the YMCA, and they only offer it on select weekends.
Aggielandma12
AG
Silver Leaf resort
Big Cat `93
AG
I grew up in the Big Thicket 5 miles from Kountze and a mile from Village Creek. You can't go wrong there. It'll be quiet, for sure. Just pray that the wind doesn't blow from the east and carry the smell of the paper mill in Evadale with it.
Jack Cheese
AG
newmayne4 said:

An unknown tidbit that we capitalized on all the time while living in Montana....You can camp wherever you want for free in any National Forest. Now there may be pockets of National Forests that are off limits but they are the way to go for camping. $Free.99 and never have to make a reservation

Maybe in Montana, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case in TX. Look up Davy Crockett National Forest - need reservations for camping via recreation.gov and it costs a little $$.
Orozco05
Check out Ratcliffe Lake...close to Lufkin. Also Lake Sam Rayburn. 2ish hours away.
Bighamp03
AG
Jack Cheese said:

newmayne4 said:

Maybe in Montana, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case in TX. Look up Davy Crockett National Forest - need reservations for camping via recreation.gov and it costs a little $$.

You can primitive camp in the Sam Houston National Forest anywhere off of the Lone Star Trail (for sure, but I think anywhere period) anytime other than deer season.
FarmerJohn
AG
Maybe we should spend more money on parks. They seem popular.
JSKolache
AG
Double Lake in Sam Houston Natl Forest is good for kids. They have paddle boats, bike trails, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.