Houston
Sponsored by

Amica

11,279 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgLiving06
Aggie Oilman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know Texags loves Amica, and even got me to switch last year, but they just raised my homeowners 20% and auto 50% for next year. No accidents or claims. I feel like they gave me really low rates to switch and then jacked them up once they had me.
cr0wbar
AG
That's unfortunate to hear. I just signed on with them for home and auto on our new townhome on December 9th
MelvinUdall
Be ready, all carriers are getting killed on Auto claims, the whole market will be going up, more stolen cars, higher population density, low gas prices, and wrecks involving cell phones are driving rates up.
HBCanine08
AG
damn, i was going to call them today. NVM.
rbcs_2
AG
My Amica policy is good until the end of April. I've resigned myself to shopping around every year until the day I die. It's just the nature of the best.
aggiedent
AG
I've had them for about 7 years and I've only had minor yearly premium increases. Last year I went insurance shopping with other companies but Amica was still cheaper than most. Combine that with about the best customer service in the business and it was an easy decision for me. I love them.
Al Bula
AG
LOLPoors who can't afford Fred Loya
Ags #1
AG
Call Liere. Pm me for a refferal
inch05
AG
I'm still using liere too
CDUB98
AG
Never had a big rate increase with Amica. Even after BDUB caused an accident.
MouthBQ98
AG
Call Liere. Then check back with them about every 2years for a better deal.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Liere sucked for me. Saved $700/yr switching from them.
Bregxit
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Liere isn't an insurer. How did you "switch" from them?
Buck O Five
AG
You have to figure the flooded out cars and homes from the past two memorial day rains have raised costs for insurers in Houston.
88jrt06
AG
They lost that smokin redhead in their ads.
Replacement: Really?

Premiums to HQ plummeted.
NEVER let a smokin' redhead get away! You will pay!
(Personal note)
cagwell10
AG
dlance said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Liere isn't an insurer. How did you "switch" from them?

Isn't Liere a broker? Brokers normally have 20-30 insurance providers that they are able to shop. Couldn't you find another broker with 20-30 other insurance providers who could provide comparable coverage at a better rate? Ya dude, technically you're not leaving the broker, but I think you already knew that.
bthobig12
AG
I'm with Goosehead Insurance, an independent agency, and I'd be happy to take a look at everything for you. Whenever you have 5 minutes today, please give me a call and I'll gather the necessary information. We have great product across the state (especially in Houston), but if I can't find you a good option I'll at least point you in the right direction.

Jared Sinclair
713-966-6620
gougler08
AG
bthobig12 said:

I'm with Goosehead Insurance, an independent agency, and I'd be happy to take a look at everything for you. Whenever you have 5 minutes today, please give me a call and I'll gather the necessary information. We have great product across the state (especially in Houston), but if I can't find you a good option I'll at least point you in the right direction.

Jared Sinclair
713-966-6620

I used Goosehead for my new house and was very happy with the policy, definitely would recommend them
chrisrrtx
AG
bthobig12 said:

Jared Sinclair
713-966-6620

I know your wife! Good people - might just give you a call soon because my GEICO is just too damn much
Bryan_Massey
Aggie Oilman,

My name is Bryan Massey '02 with Liere Insurance and as some people mentioned we are an Aggie owned independent insurance agency that writes all over the state of Texas, including Houston. We would love the opportunity to provide you with a quote on your insurance. Please email me at bmassey@myliere.com or give me a call at 855-776-2300. Thank you and I will hope to hear from you.

Bryan Massey

Thank you for the referral Inch and Ags #1!
JSKolache
AG
Just reupped auto w/ farm bureau. Went up about $11.
texsn95
AG
Jared has quoted us both home and auto policies and while we're still deciding on which route to go, he's been extremely helpful and has pointed out a few things that we need to change on our current policy if we decide to stay with who we're with. Good bull
scottjg2
AG
Texas Insured Property Losses Setting Record in 2016

2017 could be a rough year on renewal premiums across the board.
schmellba99
AG
Insurance has to be one of the biggest scams pulled on us. Gotta give them credit - they got their business pretty much codified into law as a requirement too.

Auto insurance - have an accident or get a ticket, your rates go up because of your driving habits. Go years without an accident or ticket, your rates go up because of the "pool" of drivers. They are completely selective in which metric they use to grade you - whichever one produces a rate increase. Neither my wife or I have had an accident or ticket in 7 or 8 years - auto goes up every time it's renewal time anyway.

Homeowners - same thing. File a claim, your rates go up because you filed a claim. Don't file a claim, your rates go up because somebody else filed a claim. Then down on the coast the insurance companies managed to get the state to carve out separate policies required with Wind & Storm, same with flood. Rate structure is the same - my wind and storm goes up 5% every year automatically, even if I have exactly 0 claims - somebody else has a claim, and I get to help pay for it. I kind of hope a hailstorm comes one day and effs up my roof so i can at least get a new roof out of my insurance premium increases.

We had a 500 year flood this year when the Brazos jumped its banks. Water never got more than 1/4 mile from my house - hell, didn't even have it in the ditch. But I'm still in a flood zone and pay the higher flood rates. Makes no sense.
Bregxit
AG
Yep. Wife and I have paid enough auto premiums over the last 20 years with no claims or tickets to pay for a pretty decent new car and the rates increase every six months.

Homeowners nearly doubles every few years with no claims. I'm in the same boat as you, hoping a nice hailstorm does enough to get a new roof to at least make the years of premiums worth it.
schmellba99
AG
I've got the red ass about insurance right now. Just bought a new truck and expected my rates to go up some, but they jumped $160+ this month. Granted some of that is because I'm still covering my old truck with liability until it sells, but still - that's significantly more than what I anticipated.

My wind and storm bill also came in - fuggin $2200. 5 years ago when I bought the house it was $1800. That's a monster increase over a short period of time, and the fact that it is a selective tax that the insurance companies got pushed through so they could offset obligations and I just get mad. Combine that with taxes, increase in my HOA that I still am chapped about because I get pretty much nothing of real value out of it IMO and the state mandated septic tax and I pretty much spend the first couple of weeks of every year pissed off and thinking of ways I can live off the grid.

I may be calling some of the folks on this thread though, time to shop around some and see if it's worth a change.
bthobig12
AG
schmellba99,

If you are in an area that requires Texas Windstorm, I would highly recommend giving us a call. Of the carriers we write, three of them allow us to include wind coverage even when homes are located in a Tier 1 area. This would allow you to drop the Texas Windstorm policy, which would more than likely save you a large amount of money while improving your coverage.

Also, regarding rate increases, the only way to beat them is to periodically shop your policies. Regardless of where you live, there is almost always a highly rated carrier looking to expand their footprint in your area.
03_Aggie
bthobig12 said:

schmellba99,

If you are in an area that requires Texas Windstorm, I would highly recommend giving us a call. Of the carriers we write, three of them allow us to include wind coverage even when homes are located in a Tier 1 area. This would allow you to drop the Texas Windstorm policy, which would more than likely save you a large amount of money while improving your coverage.

Also, regarding rate increases, the only way to beat them is to periodically shop your policies. Regardless of where you live, there is almost always a highly rated carrier looking to expand their footprint in your area.

This. We're in the process of switching from Allstate to Farmers as they can set us up with windstorm outside of TWIA. That alone is saving us a little $700/yr while also lowering our deductible from 3% to 1%.
bthobig12
AG
Sounds about right. Farmers can act as a broker in some areas, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are using one of the same carriers that I was referencing.
03_Aggie
UPC?
schmellba99
AG
03_Aggie said:

bthobig12 said:

schmellba99,

This. We're in the process of switching from Allstate to Farmers as they can set us up with windstorm outside of TWIA. That alone is saving us a little $700/yr while also lowering our deductible from 3% to 1%.
I'm with Farmer's. Can't complain much about the homeowner's or flood prices (eff you FEMA and your 1985 hand drawn map while completely disregarding modern technology to determine X and AE zones....). But windstorm just pisses me the hell off. It's expensive, only certain counties are required to have it (and last i checked, pretty much the whole fuggin state gets storms with high winds, not just the coast) and it is an automatic 5% per year increase no matter what.

At some point in time, taxes and insurance are going to drive me out of the place I live.

Keep in mind that I know i'm complaning a lot here, just that time of the year for me. Between property taxes, insurance premiums and policy renewals, HOA, etc. I just hate the first couple of weeks of the year. Lots of money goes out the door that, by in large, is something I really don't get a benefit from if I don't burn my house down or wreck my car.
phillyag92
AG
Liere is good people. They will find a policy that fits your needs.
phillyag92
AG
I've had Farmers and Safeco. Both had low rates in the beginning, and increased 20-30% over 2-3 years.
Bryan_Massey
Thank you PhillyAg!
HouTXAg
AG
TTT

Just bought a new car. When we called Amica to switch the insurance over, it went up significantly so I'm shopping around.

Recommendations?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.