Houston
Sponsored by

Goodbye, old friend...

17,332 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by P.H. Dexippus
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
First Wahoo Saloon in SPI, then Blanco's, then Horseshoe Lounge in Austin and now Kay's- my all time favorite. I just can't...

Don't forget about Burlap Barrell.
I miss the Barrel
txaggie_08
AG
quote:
velvet Melvin still holdin it dine.
That place is turrble, as was Kay's. Never got the draw of it. I guess it was just a nostalgia thing. I went a few times and just didn't care much for it.

I live down the street from Velvet Melvin, and don't really care if I go again.
jetch17
AG
Barrel Fridays
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
velvet Melvin still holdin it dine.
That place is turrble, as was Kay's. Never got the draw of it. I guess it was just a nostalgia thing. I went a few times and just didn't care much for it.

I live down the street from Velvet Melvin, and don't really care if I go again.

Seek help.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:
so what's next?

WAIH, Warren's Inn, Richmond Arms, or Alice's?

Don't forget what they did to the Marquis II.
Completely ruined it.

Man that place used to get turnt on a Tuesday.
cone
AG
same with the roll-n

obama's america
Chewy
AG
The new Marquis is proof you can't replicate these places. There will never be another Kays so no need in even trying. Gonna suck saying goodbye.

There's not a place in the world where I've consumed more alcohol in public than Kays and there's not even a close second.
gindaloon
AG
Aquarium Lounge on W. Dallas. RIP
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
The new Marquis is proof you can't replicate these places. There will never be another Kays so no need in even trying. Gonna suck saying goodbye.

There's not a place in the world where I've consumed more alcohol in public than Kays and there's not even a close second.

They took everything that made the Marquis great and threw it away. I went there once after the reopening and have never gone back. It was disgusting.
cone
AG
replaced the W Alabama Woodrow's with a ****ing Ruggles Green

we deserve this world
Chewy
AG
quote:

They took everything that made the Marquis great and threw it away. I went there once after the reopening and have never gone back. It was disgusting.

I did similar as I was Kays thinking of moving back from DFW and told my buddy I wanted to hit the Marquis and he was like, uh, it's not the same. I said how bad could it be and went down the road.

Took one step inside, looked around, stepped back outside to make sure the sign read correctly, stepped back inside to take another look and then hustled back to Kays.

Haven't been back.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:

I did similar as I was Kays thinking of moving back from DFW and told my buddy I wanted to hit the Marquis and he was like, uh, it's not the same. I said how bad could it be and went down the road.

Took one step inside, looked around, stepped back outside to make sure the sign read correctly, stepped back inside to take another look and then hustled back to Kays.

Haven't been back.
I had a buddy piss on the front door in disgust the remodel of Marquis

I thought I was going to jail that night
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Haven't been back.
I had a buddy piss on the front door in disgust the remodel of Marquis

I thought I was going to jail that night
Different than most nights out?
ilikeit
I guess Griff's could be next
Sazerac
AG
Are Lizard's and LZ still open??
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
quote:

Haven't been back.
Chewy - you just reminded me of a great Homer/Catch story!!!
swimmerbabe11
You should be banned for this post.

Just tell the story.
Serotonin
AG
Lol
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
You should be banned for this post.

Just tell the story.
I'm not that great of a story teller, but here goes...

Myself, Chewy, Catch, Catch's roommate we called Homer (which a story in and of itself) and who know how many other of our drunken running buddies were at Marquis one night. Who knows where we had been before, but it wasn't our first stop.

Home decides he needs another LIT and that's he's getting us all a round - he sees what he believes to be a bar without anyone really there and heads over.

We notice after a while that he's missing and we ultimately find him at that "empty bar" so we go over to see what's up. He's PISSED that he can't get any service and is being ignored by the bartender.

We politely inform him that the particular bar he was standing at was dark and closed, and quite possible that had something to do with his lack of service.

The night goes further and Homer tries to fight someone over something and he winds up sprinting out the door. We follow and get out just in time to see him trip over a curb and bloody a good portion of his body.

I'm sure there's more and Chewy or Catch would be better suited to pass along those details but the memory of Homer being so pissed because it was taking him so long to get us drinks the closed bar always makes me chuckle.
digging tunnels
AG
LZ closed at least 4 years ago. Changed to Mugsy's and even that has changed as well
Texan1976
quote:
replaced the W Alabama Woodrow's with a ****ing Ruggles Green

we deserve this world
That was my spot in the early 00s.
Texan1976
quote:
Lizard's still is. Nasty couches and all.

I spend most of my limited bar time now at Kirby Ice House or The Owl.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
Lizard's still is. Nasty couches and all.

I spend most of my limited bar time now at Kirby Ice House or The Owl.

Have the bartenders at the Owl figures out that people like to be served?
Al Bula
AG
quote:
I'm not that great of a story teller, but here goes...

Myself, Chewy, Catch, Catch's roommate we called Homer (which a story in and of itself) and who know how many other of our drunken running buddies were at Marquis one night. Who knows where we had been before, but it wasn't our first stop.

Home decides he needs another LIT and that's he's getting us all a round - he sees what he believes to be a bar without anyone really there and heads over.

We notice after a while that he's missing and we ultimately find him at that "empty bar" so we go over to see what's up. He's PISSED that he can't get any service and is being ignored by the bartender.

We politely inform him that the particular bar he was standing at was dark and closed, and quite possible that had something to do with his lack of service.

The night goes further and Homer tries to fight someone over something and he winds up sprinting out the door. We follow and get out just in time to see him trip over a curb and bloody a good portion of his body.

I'm sure there's more and Chewy or Catch would be better suited to pass along those details but the memory of Homer being so pissed because it was taking him so long to get us drinks the closed bar always makes me chuckle.
jesus Christ, someone made post this pic AGAIN.

Speedbird087
AG
Diggity
AG
looks like more townhomes

quote:
THE CITY'S PERMITTING records show that the land beneath soon-to-closeKay's Lounge (and that recently freed-up cute lot next door) have been sliced into a total of 6 new pieces (not counting the shared driveway running down the middle). The application for the property line redraw, noted by a reader, was submitted last October and approved a few weeks later. The same records say the 2-turned-6 lots at 2332 and 2324 Bissonnet St. are intended for single family residences; the properties were bought last May by an entity connected to Frasier Homes. Kay's last night in action will be Saturday the 3rd, providing final visitors with a Labor Day recovery buffer.

Kay's Lounge To Clear Out for a Townhome 6-Pack
IrishTxAggie
AG
Those places are gonna be vandalized so hard...
FtBendTxAg
AG
They would've been a badass location if Kay's stayed open.
Chewy
AG
I know Kays wasn't slammed 6 nights a week but it boggles my mind the cash flow on an owned piece of property can't justify the one time profit the developer is gonna see on 6 townhouses right there.

I know the owners wanted to cash out so I guess its just taking the million(s) they got offered and taking off to the Hill Country.
Chewy
AG
Oh and on Ezra's story he does suck at storytelling but mostly you need to know Homer to find the story funny. In his prime he ran circles around Catch. Not debauchery wise but when it came to just flat out getting hammered he had no peer.

This is the same guy that left Front Porch on a Tue night headed down West Gray and stopped behind the cars that parked on the street in the right lane as you got close to Montrose. He thought they were stopped at a light and after a while started honking at them and flashing his lights. Luckily Catch was following him and after realizing why he had stopped Catch either got out or called him to let him know those cars where straight up parked and he should use the left lane to continue home. Homer properly signaled into the left lane and continued on his way home with Catch on his tail.

Another Homer story is he called me one Monday evening around 7:00 and asked if I wanted to hit the bar to watch some sporting event. Told him I would see him in 30 minutes. Around 8:30 we had gone through a pitcherish of beer and he decided to take a "nap." I knew he wasn't sober when he showed but didn't know he was hammered.

Called Catch (pre text days) and asked what they'd been up to. Catch says he just got home and hadn't seen Homer. I told him we was stone called passed out at the table at 8:30 and Catch said he had no clue. Catch then said, "Hold on. There's a bottle of Crown on the counter that's half empty and I'm almost positive it was full when I left this morning." I told him the mystery was solved. Waitress came around and asked if he was okay and I said, "He had a little bit to drink before here so he's just playing a little opossum. He'll be fine in 30 minutes." Sure enough Homer popped his head up about 30 minutes later and acted like nothing happened. Half a bottle of Crown between 5:00 and 7:00 on a regular Monday and then wanted to hit the bar.

Those two events were Regular During The Week Homer. Special Event Homer was a spectacle you didn't want to miss as he rarely disappointed.
BillYeoman
quote:
They'll get Kenneally's one of these days, I fear.

The Ale House...RIP

I hope not. Big fan of Kenneally's. Ale House was haunted apparently.
Coog97
quote:
quote:
They'll get Kenneally's one of these days, I fear.

The Ale House...RIP

I hope not. Big fan of Kenneally's. Ale House was haunted apparently.
Upstairs!

The Ale House was a wonderful place.
agnatgas
AG
The rib and I are going to tour these awesome bars one last time before they all close this weekend
Ol_Ag_02
AG
quote:
The rib and I are going to tour these awesome bars one last time before they all close this weekend

Damn the Metroplex.
Kay's Lounge
AG
Who the hell are all these yahoos here?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.