Houston
Sponsored by

I hate cougar high

18,609 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jaydoug
BillYeoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UH is a great school and has done great things. Some have mentioned this but I know a lot of Aggies whose parents went to UH. Said parents were working class and generally the 1st in their family to get a college education. A&M has some similar stories going back to the 1920s, 30s, and 40s...some claim that the opportunities that A&M gave some of these 1st time college students (and the eventual success) drove giving back to A&M for decades to come. UH is now (finally) trying to adopt the same mentality with our alumni base.

I know this doesn't assuage the OP's difficulty with living in the big city of Houston but just thought I would add something....
MelvinUdall
I don't have a problem with UH other than it is an awful side of town and it would be hard for me to encourage my kids to attend.
Jett01
AG
Sounds like someone is jealous.

My husband is a UH alum and I enjoy going to the games with him. Aside from a few annoying kids that are still in college, or just graduated, most of their fan base is pretty decent.

AZAG08
AG
quote:
I am an alum from both schools. It is fun to support the Coogs when they have these types of years
+1
El Duke
quote:
Sounds like someone is jealous.

Quit VERBALLY ACCOSTING the OP, it's getting tired.

He is right. His family should never talk positive about their alma mater. They are a stain on Houston. O'Doyle Rules.

Panama Red
AG
First documented case of someone being both butthurt about & having peenus envy of UH.
MichaelJ
AG
No envy of uh. Just tired of idiots talking smack to me when unprovoked. It's not like I ran my mouth to any of them before or during this season, not sure why the need to literally go out Of their way to bring up my school's troubles or their successes.

It's very "new money" but they have none.
Coog97
Granting that the Aggies have faced a much higher level of competition over the last 13 years (and since the demise of the SWC)...

2003: Houston's first season under Art Briles...
Houston's record 2003-present: 100-63

2003: Texas A&M's first season under Dennis Franchione...
A&M's record 2003-present: 92-68

Will Houston continue to be a stepping-stone program? Yes. Will the fan support continue to be tepid, despite the on-field results? Yes. But it is what it is... and to say we'll lose Herman and then "go back to sucking" just isn't accurate... at least not based on the last decade and a half. We're not an SEC team playing in a 106K seat palace... we never will be and that's fine. I can be just as proud of and root just as hard for my school as you do yours... and it doesn't make me an ignorant fan. Isn't optimism, even when misplaced, part of being a fan?
El Duke
quote:
No envy of uh. Just tired of idiots talking smack to me when unprovoked. It's not like I ran my mouth to any of them before or during this season, not sure why the need to literally go out Of their way to bring up my school's troubles or their successes.

It's very "new money" but they have none.

WE KNOW! They verbally accosted you, we get it. You were minding your own business, and your gang member, trashy UH-alum family members had to the nerve to speak about their 9-0 football team. How dare they.
MichaelJ
AG
Be proud of your school. That's great. 9-0? Spectacular, albeit against crap competition.

But don't in the same breath say, where is a&m ranked and essentially go neener neener neener. It's unnecessary.
Blue Trane
Both my parents went to U of H. They were from working class families and worked their way through school like many UH grads.

I root for the Coogs - the vast majority of their alums are good folks. The University has made great strides despite the challenges they face with the location of campus.

Hoping UH keeps up their run and ends up in the playoffs.

MichaelJ
AG
They won't end up in playoffs. Not a chance. They are 9-0 and not even ranked top 10. If Baylor didn't make it last year. Uh for sure isn't.
Panama Red
AG
You may have deeper seeded issues.

ATM9000
AG
Get your panties out of your ass. We all know your annoyance has more to do with our program sucking than it does Cougar fans. Overall, Coog fans are pretty nice and not annoying.
MichaelJ
AG
Well that's for damn sure. If our program weren't crappy they would be ranked ahead of uh, where they should be, and I just wouldn't have to listen to them.
BillYeoman
quote:
Well that's for damn sure. If our program weren't crappy they would be ranked ahead of uh, where they should be, and I just wouldn't have to listen to them.

Brw, it is okay to root for the Aggies and UH (or another team.). I have a bunch of friends who went to A&M. I cheer for A&M to have success (I am a big Sumlin fan too) b/c my buddies went there. Nothing wrong with it. I also know how bad it feels to lose games and face the inevitable "What happened to UH last weekend?" comments.

I also know UH and A&M are not really football rivals except for a small stint in the SWC. Big deal. I suggest the OP go to the Memphis game with your family, wear a WWF wrestling belt, have a beer, and enjoy.
El Duke
quote:
If our program weren't crappy they would be ranked ahead of uh, where they should be.

You are an idiot.
Scientific
AG
So a little smack talk really got you that riled up?
MichaelJ
AG
Clearly you are a uh graduate who has been personally offended.

Sorry not sorry
Ragoo
AG
quote:
I wouldn't throw too many stones. Our fan base has a habit and reputation of really overselling ourselves and program as being badass when it's been really mediocre historically and recently.
top 16 in total wins, top 20 in win percentage. Fall short of the ultimate prize but still a strong over all program.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
UH is a great school and has done great things. Some have mentioned this but I know a lot of Aggies whose parents went to UH. Said parents were working class and generally the 1st in their family to get a college education. A&M has some similar stories going back to the 1920s, 30s, and 40s...some claim that the opportunities that A&M gave some of these 1st time college students (and the eventual success) drove giving back to A&M for decades to come. UH is now (finally) trying to adopt the same mentality with our alumni base.

I know this doesn't assuage the OP's difficulty with living in the big city of Houston but just thought I would add something....
My dad went to UH. Although he wasn't the first to attend college, his parent went to OU, he self funded his college by working full time.

He was also instrumental in encouraging me to attend A&M.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
quote:
I wouldn't throw too many stones. Our fan base has a habit and reputation of really overselling ourselves and program as being badass when it's been really mediocre historically and recently.
top 16 in total wins, top 20 in win percentage. Fall short of the ultimate prize but still a strong over all program.

You are being obtuse to the point. Our fan base has a reputation others don't of loving selling ourselves as the same level as the likes of LSU, bama, Texas, OU... And that's why so many find Aggie football annoying and laugh when we lose.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are being obtuse to the point. Our fan base has a reputation others don't of loving selling ourselves as the same level as the likes of LSU, bama, Texas, OU... And that's why so many find Aggie football annoying and laugh when we lose.
Maybe it is a difference in interpretation of a "top" program. A difference that frustrates some and makes others roll their eyes.
ElGamer
I wish we were as good as cougar High. Unfortunately we aren't thanks to ******s like the OP.
rhoswen
AG
It's like the OP has never been to the Zoo or Old Rivalries. Aggies certainly have never beaten their chests over a team they don't play losing consistently.

Of all the things to get your feathers ruffled over. Christ.
Furlock Bones
AG
my GF is a coug grad. i'm hoping they go all the way.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
i'm hoping they go all the way.

This would be the 3rd worst thing in the world next to the sips and Baylor doing it.
redag06
Don't think they will be able to beat Navy. Navy handled Memphis easily.
BillYeoman
I am more concerned about Memphis than Navy. Coogs matchup better (run defense) against Navy than Memphis.
redag06
On paper most teams D seems capable to handle the "rushing attack" until they face Navy's triple option. They are perfect at running it.
I agree though that Cougars will probably lose to Memphis as well, then the Navy win will just push Navy in to a NY6 bowl.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

This would be the 3rd worst thing in the world next to the sips and Baylor doing it.
it would have absolutely zero effect on us in anyway.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Except those of us that have Cougar alums as friends and family. I'd have to hear about it constantly and how lowly ole UH made it all the way.

Not to mention the bandwagon fans that would come out of the woodwork. Don't forget the Bun B UH song that would be played over every radio wave in this city.

It would be horrible.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Except those of us that have Cougar alums as friends and family. I'd have to hear about it constantly and how lowly ole UH made it all the way.

Not to mention the bandwagon fans that would come out of the woodwork. Don't forget the Bun B UH song that would be played over every radio wave in this city.

It would be horrible.
haha good point.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It would be horrible.
Yet even if that happened, everyone based in reality would still know UH as a program is nowhere near A&M and will probably never be. Even with a NC on it's belt. Herman would be swept away by one of the big 5 schools with way more $ than UH could muster and far better facilities and resources.

UH would get it's once in a lifetime year, then they would go back to being a program that makes a nice run every 5 or so years and I would be happy for them.
7nine
HolmesUkraine
Isn't good-natured ribbing/bragging/smack talk amongst friends from different schools part of what makes college football so fun? As a UH fan, I really miss that from the SWC days.

Unless they are being especially rude or annoying about it, I don't see the problem.

As for not being rivals, I suppose that's true since A&M refuses to play UH ("nothing to gain"). But I remember very well the SWC days when beating UH meant a great deal to the Aggie fans. And even with G5 status foisted upon UH and money advantage A&M has over UH, there have been several seasons, including this one, where a game between the two teams (if it were to occur) would be very competitive and close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.