Houston
Sponsored by

Tell me about Katy...

15,177 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 88jrt06
88jrt06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
No you can't...but you can offer a Cinco opinion....even though you haven't yet lived there. "Better place to raise a family". My ass. Good luck, anyway.
Cool story bro.

No, no. Replying to YOUR cool story, bro.
Also, see above post.
HouAggie
AG
95 totally crushing Seamaster with that comeback.
Seamaster
AG
quote:
What about meyerland is impractical? And you have one of the highest rated elementary schools in Houston (amongst public schools).

If you didn't buy to live close in and/or go to Kolter/Bellaire, why did you buy there?
I guess in the world of TexAgs people's situations never change? We bought when we had one kid and not zoned to Kolter or Bellaire.

As I said before, Meyerland is practical if you have the money to pay for a large house and private school for five kids.

A large house zoned to Kolter (and/or Bellaire) or one of the acceptable public elementary schools is hard to find under $1mm.
DCC99
AG
I'll tell you about Katy: We're not under water like Meyerland and various ITL areas.

Modern drainage FTW.
bigevent99
AG
What about about Sugarland?
drumboy
AG
quote:
I'll tell you about Katy: We're not under water like Meyerland and various ITL areas.

Modern drainage FTW.
Katy area didn't get close to what SW areas inside the beltway got. My house in Timbergrove got over 8" of rain last night and thankfully didn't flood. Glad they have fixed the flood control system since Allison.

Hopefully all of the continuing development in Katy and reduction of absorbant land doesn't cause more flooding in the future.
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:

JJxvi
AG
Probably don't want to be trumpeting that "we got great drainage in katy, sucks for you Houston" idea around too loudly. The developers in your area have been fighting the idea that destruction and drainage of the Katy prairie is causing flooding elsewhere (ie downstream) in the metro area.
Diggity
AG
quote:

Modern drainage FTW.
what a moronic statement
water turkey
88jrt06
AG
quote:

Modern drainage FTW.
Pure chicken ****, pal.
Ag03 CQE
AG
quote:
All the space of living in the heights with the bonus of 4x the commute...

Maybe if you live on one of the relatively few apartment complexes in Katy. You left out the bonus of not having million dollar homes next to crack houses.
Diggity
AG
that's america baby!

if it pulls itself up by its bootstraps...one day that crack house might be a million dollar house too!

drumboy
AG
quote:

Maybe if you live on one of the relatively few apartment complexes in Katy. You left out the bonus of not having million dollar homes next to crack houses.

Katy has million dollar homes?

There are apartments all over the place out here.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

dude, i grew up in Katy. there were a number of complexes around when i was a kid. there are many, many, many more now.

it's ok to like living in the burbs. but, why do people feel the need to whitewash everything to make it sound better.
RebelE91
AG
Some people don't like it, but the poster who made the comment about being under water ITL isn't that far off. Inner City Houston has and will continue to have drainage issues because the infrastructure was designed in a time where the flood risks were poorly understood compared to today. The drainage infrastructure in the burbs is superior in a number of ways to the infrastructure inside the loop and even inside the beltway. Katy didn't have as much rain as the Meyerland / Bellaire area, but Sugar Land did. And their infrastructure could handle it. I don't recall any reports of flooded houses in Sugar Land last week.

I moved from the Bellaire area to Katy 4 years ago for a number of reasons, one of which was the channel widening improvements promised in the "Project Brays" never materialized and likely won't anytime soon.

The older homes in area are at risk. But if you live in a new home it is very likely built-up above the floodplain, where the risk is lower.
Diggity
AG
It was the timing of the comment that was stupid. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, homes that were built in the 50's and 60's next to a Bayou do tend to flood more easily than built up homes. Thanks for the lesson.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
Katy didn't have as much rain as the Meyerland / Bellaire area, but Sugar Land did.

I moved from the Bellaire area to Katy 4 years ago for a number of reasons, one of which was the channel widening improvements promised in the "Project Brays" never materialized and likely won't anytime soon.

Sugar Land did not...Brays' headwaters (and Keegan, it's tributary) were ground zero for Monday's hit and was unprecedented. The area got more 12/24 hour rain than
anywhere else in the region. So....you're dead wrong.
Also, sorry fear of it ran you off to Katy, but Project Brays is working, and a lot of people are grateful the uncompleted
project performed so well. Passed a lot of tests this week, in fact.

ANY area in this region that gets 4" rain/hr. or 11" in a day will flood. Even "well-planned" Katy.
213 Grove
AG
quote:
quote:
Katy didn't have as much rain as the Meyerland / Bellaire area, but Sugar Land did.

Sugar Land did not...Brays' headwaters (and Keegan, it's tributary) were ground zero for Monday's hit and was unprecedented. The area got more 12/24 hour rain than
anywhere else in the region. So....you're dead wrong.
Also, sorry fear of it ran you off to Katy, but Project Brays is working, and a lot of people are grateful the uncompleted
project performed so well. Passed a lot of tests this week, in fact.

ANY area in this region that gets 4" rain/hr. or 11" in a day will flood. Even "well-planned" Katy.

Sugar land and my house got 11 inches and didn't make it close to the house. Street had water almost to the top of the curb but still way away from the house
88jrt06
AG
In 12 hours?
I work in Sugar Land and no one got more than about 8" Monday night....a LOT less, and many got 4-6" max.
HOWEVER, people in Richmond, Rosharon, Needville all had homes flood, and have been scared ****less over the Brazos...

Congrats you got lucky (most of you).
Ag03 CQE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

dude, i grew up in Katy. there were a number of complexes around when i was a kid. there are many, many, many more now.

it's ok to like living in the burbs. but, why do people feel the need to whitewash everything to make it sound better.

I'm not whitewashing anything. I didn't say there weren't many apartment complexes in Katy, I said there were relatively few, relatively being the key word. I haven't looked up actual numbers, but simple observation tells me that Katy probably has a higher ratio of single-family homes to multi-family homes than most areas around Houston.

But the point I was making is that the assertion that space in the Heights is comparable to space in Katy is absurd. I'm not one of those ITL vs OTL people, there are pros and cons to both, but I don't understand why people have to tear down living in the 'burbs simply because the advantages aren't a priority for them right now.
RebelE91
AG
95Gh87 you are the one that is dead wrong. Harris County's OEM website confirmed Sugar land consistently received 10.5" of rain the night of the storm, including Telfair. The infrastructure performed well. That is not luck, that is by design. The design storm for most of Sugar Land was 12" or 13" of rain in 24 hours depending on when it was built. The storm last week tested but didn't over whelm the systems.

Brays by contrast can't handle anywhere near a design storm. If the County had completed Project Brays as originally scheduled in 2006, the revised to 2011-2012, The houses that flooded along Brays, including neighbors on my old street, would not have flooded. What you are grateful for I see as a failure on the County's part.

And nobody in the master planned communities along the Brazos are crapping themselves over this event. At least not the well informed people.
Buck O Five
AG
FWIW Katy ISD reported 83% of it's students in 2013 came from single family homes in 2013. This is projected to decrease to 78% by 2024. Not sure how this compares to ITL districts.
Jules_Winnfield
There are still drugs houses out it Katy (cinco ranch).... They're just nicer
Ag03 CQE
AG
That's kinda my point though. Katy doesn't have the schizophrenic feel of the Heights where you see brand new beautiful homes next to houses that look like they should be condemned.

No arguement on the drugs, BTW.
10andBOUNCE
AG
This thread is getting dumb.

As a Katy resident who is more or less just "meh" on Katy, I think the old theory of don't get too high or low can be used here.

Definitely a good place for families with good schools overall but is becoming highly congested and will only get worse. I think Cinco is overpriced compared to other burbs but that's just me. We've been pretty rooted in our church the last 18 months otherwise I'd probably prefer somewhere else to be honest.

For the record, wife's car was broken into in our driveway yesterday. #otlprobz
Buck O Five
AG
Do you even garage bro?
88jrt06
AG
quote:
95Gh87 you are the one that is dead wrong. Harris County's OEM website confirmed Sugar land consistently received 10.5" of rain the night of the storm, including Telfair. The infrastructure performed well. That is not luck, that is by design. The design storm for most of Sugar Land was 12" or 13" of rain in 24 hours depending on when it was built. The storm last week tested but didn't over whelm the systems.

Brays by contrast can't handle anywhere near a design storm. If the County had completed Project Brays as originally scheduled in 2006, the revised to 2011-2012, The houses that flooded along Brays, including neighbors on my old street, would not have flooded. What you are grateful for I see as a failure on the County's part.

And nobody in the master planned communities along the Brazos are crapping themselves over this event. At least not the well informed people.
Misleading, and not true.

Brays/Keegan took a direct hit at AT HEADWATERS in the range of 10.5-11 in...This was reported to be an unprecedented event on the news. The 8.5" that hit Meyerland, WLoop, etc., didn't help, but the flooding
was due to the rain in the Brays watershed. Patelfair had nothing comparable; not in intensity, not in as short a time frame, not in a bayou watershed. Comparing Sugar Land is a non-starter (and it did not, as you imply, receive a consistent 10+ across the entire city).

The 36 bridge replacements, re-channelization, landscaping, etc. of Project Brays, was never due to be complete in 2006, as you claim. That would have been impossible in 4 years. There have been some recent federal $$$ delays; it was not the "County". Thing is, if you talk to long-time residents, they have seen the incremental improvements. This freak "bulls-eye" in the watershed *should* have been far worse.

Hey, move to Katy, fine. Your business. Your rebuttal is off-point, however.
RebelE91
AG
Actually it's not off base. The drainage systems in the suburbs are designed to higher standards than those in the City, including Brays. That is why the City has and will continue to have drainage issues. It's not luck as you say, but because of design. It's not poor design, but a lack of knowledge when those systems were constructed. We'll have to disagree on the rainfall amounts, but I have a graph showing the rainfall in the Sugar Land for the month of May. If I had more time I would post it, but the night of the storm shows 10.56 inches. It was the same 6-7 hour span that the rest of the City saw. Didn't come close to flooding. Why? Better design standards.

You seem to have some knowledge about drainage. You should know the event last week was not unprecedented, and it's not a freak accident that Brays flooded. It's a relatively unusual event, and it hasn't happened much in the past 5-10 years. But based on your posts you probably know that was not a 100-year event, even for Brays.

The County promoted lowering the water level in the medical center "five feet in five years" back in 2001. These were not elected officials but the County engineer and the head of the flood control district. Impossible? Of course. But that was the schedule they promoted. It was later revised to 2011-2012. And that didn't happen either. There are funding issues for the remainder of the project but that's because the major driving need for the project went away. The medical center constructed their own improvements to flood proof their facilities. Will there be a renewed push for funds for Brays after last week? Perhaps, but I doubt it.
aggiemike02
AG
quote:
Actually it's not off base. The drainage systems in the suburbs are designed to higher standards than those in the City, including Brays. That is why the City has and will continue to have drainage issues. It's not luck as you say, but because of design. It's not poor design, but a lack of knowledge when those systems were constructed. We'll have to disagree on the rainfall amounts, but I have a graph showing the rainfall in the Sugar Land for the month of May. If I had more time I would post it, but the night of the storm shows 10.56 inches. It was the same 6-7 hour span that the rest of the City saw. Didn't come close to flooding. Why? Better design standards.

You seem to have some knowledge about drainage. You should know the event last week was not unprecedented, and it's not a freak accident that Brays flooded. It's a relatively unusual event, and it hasn't happened much in the past 5-10 years. But based on your posts you probably know that was not a 100-year event, even for Brays.

The County promoted lowering the water level in the medical center "five feet in five years" back in 2001. These were not elected officials but the County engineer and the head of the flood control district. Impossible? Of course. But that was the schedule they promoted. It was later revised to 2011-2012. And that didn't happen either. There are funding issues for the remainder of the project but that's because the major driving need for the project went away. The medical center constructed their own improvements to flood proof their facilities. Will there be a renewed push for funds for Brays after last week? Perhaps, but I doubt it.
You definitely "had the time"...
jja79
AG
It would seem the OP has decided to live in the suburbs. Why do people who chose otherwise always litter these threads with condescending talk about OTL?
RebelE91
AG
^
^
And the tech savvy-ness!
88jrt06
AG
My family has lived within 200 yards of Brays for almost 50 years (my parents).

I am quite aware of every "incident" since at least the 1970s, particularly since my widowed mom lived there alone the last twenty years. The is the 1st time (again) the headwaters of Brays got slammed in exactly the wrong place (upstream, near US-59). The point is that this was different from previous events.

Of course, any Houstonian knows that the original (Corps) channelization proved inadequate. Also, any higher density area with more impermeable surface is more vulnerable.....as Ft. Bend, Waller, etc. will be learning shortly.

I stand by the fact the "deadlines" you threw out were incorrect and federal money, not some commissioner's opinions, called the tune on start-up. You were off by years. I volunteered on the Willow Waterhole segment, which is now over 50% complete (and was extremely helpful this week). The Med Center was barely impacted, btw. There are over 20 bridges left to raise/replace and work proceeds.
All good news.

Ft. Bend County, btw (why pick only SL?) had numerous flooded areas. Ask folks about downtown Needville, and people with 2-3 ft. of water in homes, then FM 1462...closed for days.

Bottom line: You like Katy infrastructure, obviously. We'll see what happens as growth explodes as it did decades ago in Houston....particularly in N. Katy. Glad Katy and Sugar Land got lucky this time. The headwaters of Brays was an extremely unlucky spot for a foot of water to fall on downstream residents in a very short time frame. Again, unprecedented. Enjoy Katy; I'll enjoy the near SW side.
RebelE91
AG
I pick Sugar Land because Sugar Land had a similar amount of rainfall as Brays, therefore one can compare how the drainage infrastructure performed. Whereas Katy did not see similar rainfall amounts. Needville is not comparable to Katy or Sugar Land because that town has been for over 120 years. There might be some development, but I'm not aware of it, and Needville is still a few decades away from the type of development seen around Sugar Land and Katy.

But Brays getting the rain it did in the upper reaches is not unusual, unprecedented, or a freak occurrence. It is predictable and will happen in every watershed in this region. If it's unlucky it's only that this time it was simply Brays' turn. Next time it could be White Oak. Or Buffalo Bayou. Nor was there an unpredictable rainfall intensity last week. Heck, 4-inches an hour, the intensity you posted, can be found in a 5-year event.

For the past several decades all new developments are designed by looking at a 100-year event in the watershed, including the upper reaches. That is currently a 13-inch rainfall in 24-hours. That is the design standard. That is why the drainage infrastructure is better in burbs than in the City and can handle significant rain events better than the infrastructure in the City.

Your right, I do like the Katy infrastructure. And I'm glad you enjoy the SW side, just as I enjoyed living ITL. But your insinuations that the flooding that happened along Brays will happen anywhere in this region if they had gotten the same rain and same intensities are simply wrong.
88jrt06
AG
quote:

But Brays getting the rain it did in the upper reaches is not unusual, unprecedented, or a freak occurrence. But your insinuations that the flooding that happened along Brays will happen anywhere in this region if they had gotten the same rain and same intensities are simply wrong.

The first sentence you quoted flies in the face of what meteorologists were reporting during the event. UNPRECEDENTED in Houston's recorded history in that area. I'll go with their take over yours.....

Second, where did I say the same rain/intensity ANYWHERE
(your term) would cause the Brays flooding? Hint: I didn't.
Didn't "imply" it, either. Kind of lame.

Also, Sugar Land. Not comparable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.