Houston
Sponsored by

UHD has one of the worst graduation rates in the country

11,658 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 1876er
1876er
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Graduates of 4-year engineering technology degree programs are called technologists.
Be careful, you don't wanna crush the egos of any lurking Aggie ID or ENTC grads!

ABET says the same thing about the TAMU ESET and MMET bachelors degrees. They are ABET accredited but it's done by a different accreditation commission than the one that evaluates engineering programs (the technology accreditation commission vs the engineering accreditation commission).

The ID program doesn't appear to be ABET accredited, as it isn't on the ABET website at all.

ABET isn't the be-all and end-all, but most major companies require a degree from an ABET accredited engineering company in order to qualify for engineering positions (which is why ABET accreditation is such a big deal for engineering departments and colleges).

If the company doesn't care about the distinction, it's a non-issue. But I used to work in higher ed, which included advising students, so it was important to make the distinction between engineering vs engineering technology programs VERY clear to students and parents who are paying tuition.
While true, ETs can get the same PE license as Engineers. I believe that is true in most states, including Texas. They typically require more experience, though.
TXTransplant
quote:
While true, ETs can get the same PE license as Engineers. I believe that is true in most states, including Texas. They typically require more experience, though.

I did not know that...you learn something new every day! I assume they still have to pass the same exam, though?
1876er
AG
Yes. I believe they can take the FE the same time as the Engineers, and when they take the PPE differs by state. Still need 3 recommendations from current PEs
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.