Houston
Sponsored by

rank your favorite AstroWorld rides

5,460 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RingOfive
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Skyscreamer (the quarter trick was always fun)
Ultra Twister
Greezed Lightning (so simple yet so awesome)
XLR8
Scantron882
AG
Dexter Freebish
Model T cars
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Cyclone
Bamboo Shoot
Excalibur
Alpine Mountain
XLR8
Greased Lightning

I don't recall the name of the ride, but it was a spinning thing where the floor would drop out from beneath you but you were held in place by the centrifugal (?) forces.

Used to really love the smell of the freshly baking Rainbow bread loafs right as you came into the park.

Someone above mentioned Disney. When I first went to Disney as an adult and then went to Astroworld in the year after that, I think that is when I started noticing the decline that Astroworld was going through.
Pahdz
You are thinking of Gravitron, that was a carney ride, don't ever remember it at Astroworld
1208HawkTree
AG
I once rode Greezed Lightnin' 9 times, back to back without leaving my seat. Church trip and rained like crazy for about 3 hours. Finally stopped and the place was empty, so we had free run of the park for a couple hours.
AW96
AG
So many great memories at Astroworld! I'm sad that I'll never get to share it with my kids. I can still feel the rides and hear the sounds when I see pics.

My favs:
Texas Cyclone
Greezed Lightnin' - a perfect 35 seconds of fun
Excalibur
Sky Screamer- penny on the knee, bwoop, bwoop sound
Viper
Looping Starship
Bamboo shoot
Ultra Twister
Thunder River- remember the early days when it was truly free floating and you'd go under the waterfall
Horizons - great place for a cool break, can still see the scenes in my head of the roller coaster and motorcycles

Other favorites: Alpine Sleigh Ride, wacky shack, warp 10/2000, Astroway, XLR-8

Other memories- grabbing a loaf of Rainbo bread to eat as we walked back to our car across the Bridge at end of the night, concerts at southern star, eagerly awaiting and watching the Astroworld promo shows each year that aired each Spring on a Saturday morning or watching the late night videocity dance show on ABC I think.

Thanks for the thread. Fun memories!

AW96
AG

[This message has been edited by AW96 (edited 8/30/2014 12:18p).]
AW96
AG

[This message has been edited by AW96 (edited 8/30/2014 12:19p).]
AW96
AG
Sorry for the triple post. I kept getting an error message saying it didn't go through.
cone
AG
quote:
bwoop, bwoop sound

http://youtu.be/ZXSFKhPuevk
OnlyForNow
AG
My first time on a roller coaster was taz's Texas tornado, u was there to impress girls and then found out it did 6 loops, needless to say I was surprised, but always liked it.
AW96
AG
SuperDave- Thanks for the link. Many great memories and favorites in that video.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
You are thinking of Gravitron, that was a carney ride, don't ever remember it at Astroworld
I did some net searching and found what this was. It was called the Barrel of Fun, opened in 1971 and was located in Modville near the AstroWheel.

Another memory I had regarding the AstroWheel - there was a plot of land near Arcola, TX (Highway 6 and what was then known as 288) where, in the mid 80s well after AstroWheel had shut down, I saw the passenger cages used on that ride on that plot of land. They were just sitting there with weeds growing around them. They were there for a long while, not sure how long but this was during my time at A&M, so I would have seen them over Christmas and summer breaks.
Blanco Ag
AG
The Serpent sucked.

Looping Starship was the cats ass.
Pahdz
CRA you are well before my time so I rescind my snark about the Gravitron
slickag2007
AG
1. XLR8
2. Ultra Twister
3. Batman
4. Excalibur
5. Viper
6. Cyclone
7. Greezed Lightning
8. Looping Starship
9. Texas Tornado
10. Wagon Wheel
tx4guns
AG
1. Serial Thriller
2. Ultra Twister
3. Texas Cyclone
Farmer1906
AG
I was always a little scared of big time coasters. My favs.
XLR8, Excalibur, Mayan, Bamboo Shoot, Thunder River.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

4. Greezed Lightning
The smell of the grease they used on the track of greased lightning is nostalgic.
Big Cat `93
AG
1. Greezed Lightnin'
2. Texas Cyclone
3. XLR8
4. Viper
5. Batman

Looping Starship was great for unintended comedy. I rode it with a buddy who was super skinny back then. I looked at him when we were upside down and saw a blood vessel bulging out from the top of his forehead to down the side of his nose and mouth. I started laughing, then he started laughing and just made it worse.
Ragoo
AG
Xlr8 was a fun ride but never failed I would end up with a headache immediately after riding it.
Cromagnum
AG
Sky Screamer was right up there with Looping Starship. Always a chance a tittay was gonna pop out.
EclipseAg
AG
When AstroWorld first opened, the Alpine Sleigh Ride had an actual person inside an abominable snowman costume who would jump out and scare you.

That didn't last long.
jetch17
AG
Cromagnum
AG
EclipseAg said:

When AstroWorld first opened, the Alpine Sleigh Ride had an actual person inside an abominable snowman costume who would jump out and scare you.

That didn't last long.

My Dad told me about this when I was a kid and I never believed him.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

the Alpine Sleigh Ride had an actual person inside an abominable snowman costume who would jump out and scare you.
There's a hot of snowman dude in this video:

Frok
AG
Wow, back then you could bring your baby on a roller coaster
MosesHallDeadPot94
Poot
Senior year in High School, we had physics day at Astroworld. We went back to Greezed Lightning and we were the first ride of the day. The operator welcomed us to Astroworld and told us not to be concerned with how small the lap bar restraint was and what really kept you in was the seatbelt (right as he sent us gunning towards the loop). Everyone was in MAJOR scramble mode trying to find seatbelts that didn't exist.

When we got back, he just said "gotcha." Classic.
DiskoTroop
Holy thread necro
Al Bula
AG
Poot said:

Senior year in High School, we had physics day at Astroworld. We went back to Greezed Lightning and we were the first ride of the day. The operator welcomed us to Astroworld and told us not to be concerned with how small the lap bar restraint was and what really kept you in was the seatbelt (right as he sent us gunning towards the loop). Everyone was in MAJOR scramble mode trying to find seatbelts that didn't exist.

When we got back, he just said "gotcha." Classic.
wait… this is what you did on physics day at Astro world? Is it even physics day without a flask, Kools and fingerbanging on the Astrolift?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Cyclone
Black Dragon
Poot
Hahaha. Sadly, yes… the chicks in physics were slim pickens….
RingOfive
AG
Our physics day trip to Astroworld was on 4/20. Not sure what genius planned that, but it was an incredible day.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.