Houston
Sponsored by

John Moore plumbing

4,032 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Seamaster
phillyag92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever used them? They say they are a BBB accredited company, but they received an F rating and apparently are being sued by the BBB?
strohag
AG
What do you need done? Don't call John Moore. Use Village if you want a popular brandname around town.
mm98
AG
John Moore is crap. They send out sales guys on the initial service call to scare you into a deal.
LostInLA07
AG
They are awful
phillyag92
AG
Wow.... glad I posted here. Just need a water heater installed.

[This message has been edited by phillyag92 (edited 4/8/2014 11:18a).]
SlackerAg
AG
Only if you want to pay "Moore"
aTm2004
AG
We had a problem with our master toilet a couple of summers ago, so my wife called John Moore to look at it. IIRC, it was about $85 for them to show up, then their solution to the issue was to dig under the house and bust through some concrete to put a greater slope to a pipe. Their estimate was north of $5k. She called me and had me talk with this guy, and I laughed and told him "no thanks". I called a local guy out, who fixed the issue in 20 minutes and cost me less than $100, which included parts, labor and trip. Toilet hasn't had any issues since.
AggieDoc2002
AG
Agree with not calling John Moore for anything. I can vouch for Abacus plumbing.
Ezra Brooks
AG
They saved me once by being available on a very tight timeline on a weekend. I was quite thankful, albeit quite costly.

Called them out for a quote on another job and it was apparent that the person that was out to look didn't have much knowledge on the task at hand, but rather went to the "price book" for the standard quote, which was almost double the other quotes I had gotten.
sts7049
AG
they wanted to charge me over 6k for a new water heater
RVAg02
AG
But how much do they charge for a hot water heater?
sts7049
AG
double, since you are reheating hot water
inozips
AG
Once John Moore sold out they have gone down. You can do your own, it is not hard. Electric for sure, just make sure it is level.

Our experience is not as good as Docs with Abacus. I'd steer clear. I got onto them listening to Tom Tynan.

There are some good ones, last we used was Sand Tech. 6k is "nutzo"...
StillNotAnAggie
"Sand Tech"? Is that what you are calling them now? That is racist. Call them "Middle Eastern".

quote:
Am I the only one on this site who has a problem with this thread. The racism that is allowed to persist on this board is disgusting. You guys a doing all you can to carry on the stereotype that Texas A&M is an uninviting place for people who are not white.
randy828
AG
Called JM for a second estimate to have them come out and give an estimate on putting in a new kitchen sink. The guy went through his "book" and told me the price, I laughed and told him that his estimate was double the other guy's estimate. So the JM guy closed the book and said, hey, I can come out on my own and do it for a little less than your first estimate. I told him I would think about it and kindly showed him the door. Ridiculous how they do business.
husker6869
quote:
"Sand Tech"? Is that what you are calling them now? That is racist. Call them "Middle Eastern".

quote:
Am I the only one on this site who has a problem with this thread. The racism that is allowed to persist on this board is disgusting. You guys a doing all you can to carry on the stereotype that Texas A&M is an uninviting place for people who are not white.

Sh-to-the-Izzo
AG
I had a pipe leak. The guy who came out said I'd need to re pipe the entire house and it would cost $20k.
Martin Q. Blank
Their business plan must be to blanket the public with ridiculous quotes and wait for the little old ladies and suckers to hire them.
88jrt06
AG
Opinions on Village Plumbing?

ABC?

Abacus? (thanks, Doc)

(I should probably stop relying only on the downstairs toilet, although the exercise has been useful, I'll admit.)
Ag From Birth
AG
Philly, swizzle,

Where in Houston are you located?
88jrt06
AG
Med Ctr/Rice.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Their business plan must be to blanket the public with ridiculous quotes and wait for the little old ladies and suckers to hire them.

I'm sure that's exactly what their business model is. They advertise like crazy to build brand awareness so that they are people's first thought when they have the very infrequent emergency that needs to be repaired. And because this is a service they might only need to be purchased every 5-7 years, people have no idea what to pay. Suckers are reeled in and t hey bank huge profts. It's basically the same business model as Just Brakes. Their spot right between the 6am news and the Today show in the morning annoys me every single morning.

I specifically had to tell my wife the other morning that if there was ever a plumbing emergency and she couldn't get in touch with me, to not call them. She had no idea that they were a ripoff company.
Ag From Birth
AG
Not sure if he will go that far into Houston, but try Ranger Plumbing. He likes to stay on the sw side of town but will venture out from time to time. He does great work.

http://rangerplumbingco.com
AggieEquestrian09
AG
Try Doug Turner Plumbing. They are out of sugar land but they have come to river oaks for a property I work on for work. They are great!
Speedbird087
AG
88jrt06
AG
Thanks, guys.

Was concerned about some of the mass-ad folks.
parkway94
AG
I have used Felty Plumbing for years (I'm in Pearland). Dan is a very straight shooter. He has been in business for forever. Mainly handles Pasadena, Friendswood and Pearland.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Abacus is excellent, fair, and reasonable.
phillyag92
AG
Sugar Land.
Ag From Birth
AG
For Sugar Land, I'd definitely recommend Ranger Plumbing.
bonzaiblaine
My daughter works for S&B plumbing in Sugar Land and they are selective with the plumbers they hire. They've been good to her and to me as I've already had them out for a couple of jobs. Highly recommend. Good luck!
phillyag92
AG
I gave Ranger plumbing a call. Heath is going to check out the situation next week.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Heath is good people.
Smash Williams
AG
quote:
Village Plumbing is Aggie owned.

There is also a plumbing co. called The Aggie Plumber who is/was a long time advertiser in the Houston Aggie newsletter.

John Moore is Aggie-owned
strohag
AG
quote:
quote:
Village Plumbing is Aggie owned.

There is also a plumbing co. called The Aggie Plumber who is/was a long time advertiser in the Houston Aggie newsletter.

John Moore is Aggie-owned

And do yourself a favor and don't use John Moore. They are out to screw you. Notice the better business bureau logo was removed from their trucks? Big issues with them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.