Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone ever donated a car?

2,289 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Linz02Ag
Summer95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally got my oldest a reliable car yesterday. Now we need to get rid of the old one that kept breaking down. Anyone have any experience / recommendations for donating a car?
TexMex Redass 03
AG
Donated a car about 5 years ago and used these guys

http://www.donateacar2charity.com/houston-car-donation-information.php

Donate a Car to Charity in Houston
It's easy to donate your car, boat or RV in the greater Houston area. We provide fast, free pickup of your vehicle with no cost to you and you can receive a tax deduction for your donation. We are happy to accept any car that you donate. Normally it will take 1 to 2 days from the time your donation process is completed for one of our agents to contact you and arrange a time of pickup that works for you.

Donate your car in Houston -- any condition:
We will pick up any car in Houston, running or non-running, even without a title. However, if you have the title to your vehicle you will be able to receive the maximum tax deduction. We really do take cars in any condition. For a replacement title, please check in at one of the Texas Vehicle Department offices.

Houston Vehicle Department
1601 Townhurst Dr
Houston, TX 77043-3226
(713) 465-8462ý

Is my car donation made in Houston tax deductible?
Vehicles donated in Houston on this site will benefit Activated Ministries, a nonprofit classified with the IRS as a 501(c)3 charitable organization and are tax deductible. You can claim up to $500 for your tax deduction, but if your car sells for more $500 you will get that value.

Fightin Texas Aggie Class of '03

ChipFTAC01
AG
My car from college completely died on me shortly after I graduated. We just couldn't keep it running and it wasn't worth dumping anymore money into. So we gave it to the Salvation Army or whatever. They just came with a towtruck and took it away.
CDUB98
AG
Donated an old Toyota pick-up I had to Cars Helping Kids....I think.

There are two different ones that gave the money to kids school type charities. I just can't remember which one it was.

No problems at all. The tow truck came and got the car and title. Received a tax receipt after it sold at auction.
SJEAg
AG
I donated to CarsforCancer like 12 years ago. Thing wasn't running, was dead in my apartment parking lot and not worth fixing....I just wanted it outta there.

Process was easy, and the tax deduction back then was awesome...IRS has tightened/changed that up a lot since then though.
aggiedent
AG
Yes............and one little word of warning. The individual who purchased it at auction did not transfer the title into his name for half a year and ran through the EZ TAG lane.

Oh yeah............I got a big bill.

Required me to write a certified letter to the Toll Road Authority that I was not the owner of the vehicle after such and such date. Then I had no further problems and was not required to pay a penny.
BoxingAg84
Donated one of mine to the Houston Can Academy a few years ago.
http://www.carsforkids.org/
CATAGBQ04
AG
Make, model, year?
agnatgas
AG
Q: Who is the Military Order of the Purple Heart?

A: The Military Order of the Purple Heart is a national organization composed of combat-wounded veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart medal.

Q: How does the Purple Heart Car Donation Program make a difference?

A: As a result of our generous car donors, Purple Heart has been able to provide many quality programs that have helped thousands of veterans across the country (see programs and outreach page). Your support is needed and appreciated.

http://www.purpleheartcars.org/donate?r=google_adwords&g=brand&id=1&gclid=CM3Uu-KmxLECFYNx4AodvAMABg
randy828
AG
You can also donate your car to a high school. We donated one of our old cars that had completely died to Cypress Creek back in the 80's. Mom got a tax donation receipt for it.
plowboy1065
S
That Charity for the blind commercial they play on 740 is the most annoying commercial ever
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Donated one of mine to the Houston Can Academy a few years ago.
http://www.carsforkids.org/

+1 here
I donated two of my vehicles there.
Linz02Ag
AG
To avoid what happened to aggiedent, you should consult this website http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/title-transfers.php
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.