Houston
Sponsored by

The Dome

9,285 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by MouthBQ98
flipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Googling for a picture of an actual Dome trough led me to a Bill Simmons column about the 2001 Gallery Furniture bowl.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/011231
Frok
AG
quote:
I just want a few orange chairs for my man cave

I want the blue seat with the star marking Eric Anthony's HR.

I wonder how hard it is to get in?

Thunder18
AG
quote:
As a young child, I once witnessed a Peter Dinklage look-alike rest his hawg on the front lip of one of those troughs while evacuating his bladder. #innocence_lost

was he standing on his tiptoes?

FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
How is it then that they have imploded old stadiums all over the country right next to brand new ones?

Because each have their own unique set of problems. Regarding your specific link, Three Rivers was oriented toward the end of the stadium that appears to have less substantial footings, and frankly looks incomplete. Either way, major load bearing sections of the foundation of Reliant Stadium are very close to the Astrodome and cannot be isolated from the vibrations of an implosion. At the very least, they would have to be inspected following any possible implosion, which by itself would be extremely costly.
Cromagnum
AG
1. Win Mega Millions.
2. Buy the Astrodome.
3. Flip it.
4. ?????
5. Profit.
Pahdz
flipper...good find on that Simmons' article. Remind me never to listen anything he says on football...this stuff is common knowledge:

quote:
3. I know nothing about football.
Hey, I thought I did. But when I was listening to Cooper and Malone interview the TCU players, I felt like I was watching a movie in Spanish. The terminology, the lingo ... it's like a different language. Do you rely on hot routes? Do you have a gap responsibility or do you just flow to the ball? Do you check off a lot? Will they just throw nickel at you? Will their corners bite on the hitch-and-go? Do they jump on the routes?
AgDrumma07
AG
Demo that ****. It's ugly as hell.
Sazerac
AG
House of Pain
Alex Bregman
AG
Seriously, why don't they at least strip the inside and sell all that stuff. People, including me, would buy those seats.
aggs03
I remember getting to sit in the star deck and think my dad was a baller for scoring those seats all the time. Never had to get up and order food or drinks. Sad to see the dome like that. Oh well blow the ***** up.
Pahdz
I remember the first time getting to sit in a skybox...that was awesome
StaffRat
AG
Foamer Night.
If the free beer light was on, and an Astro hit a home run, it was free luke warm Falstaff for all the fans for the duration of the inning. I remember watching all the east side hillbilly’s run for the concession stand every time the light came on. Didn’t matter that 7-8-9 were up, they were just praying.
Officials had to discontinue the practice because some of the fans behavior got out of hand. Imagine.
I grew up on the east side, btw.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My last memory of the Dome was being caught on the big screen, sitting first row 3rd base line during the last regular season game in '97 or '98, taking a bit of a Dome dog.
flipper
quote:
flipper...good find on that Simmons' article. Remind me never to listen anything he says on football...this stuff is common knowledge:

quote:
3. I know nothing about football.
Hey, I thought I did. But when I was listening to Cooper and Malone interview the TCU players, I felt like I was watching a movie in Spanish. The terminology, the lingo ... it's like a different language. Do you rely on hot routes? Do you have a gap responsibility or do you just flow to the ball? Do you check off a lot? Will they just throw nickel at you? Will their corners bite on the hitch-and-go? Do they jump on the routes?

I understood a little bit but I'm a girl so I agreed with him.
Burn-It
AG
The new stadium just needs protection via isolation from the dome foudation. Basically a demo of the concrete foundation between the dome, stadium and Reliant Place would have to be completed before lighting the dynomite.
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
they could probably make half the money needed to demo the dome by selling items from inside it and pieces of the dome itself, parts of the roof etc.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I would pay a lot of money for a take anything I want free for all in the dome...
aggs03
quote:
I would pay a lot of money for a take anything I want free for all in the dome...

Then it would not be free you ra-tard.
agracer
AG
quote:
Can't, too close to Reliant. The explosion would damage the foundation. The only option for demolition is piece by piece, which is very expensive.

baloney. The just blew the MD Anderson Main building which is less than 20-feet from two other newer building in the medical center with no issues.

The expense is all the asbetos that was used in piping insulation and fire proofing materials when it was built means it all has to be abated (or carefully removed) before it can be imploded. Blowing it up would result in a big cloud of dust, and asbetos fiber (which is when it is dangerous) drifting all over the city.

If you blow it up, 5-years from now Jim Adler would be filing 1/5-million lawsuits against the COH, Reliant, Demo Contractor and the guy selling papers at the nearest corner for mesothelioma cases all across the city.

[This message has been edited by agracer (edited 4/2/2012 1:47p).]
et98
airboatag
The Dome holds a special place in my heart because my grandfather helped build it. He was a pipefitter and claimed to have held the first unofficial sporting event in the dome when he raced some guy in a 100m sprint across the dome floor. Like was previously stated, there is a ton of asbestos in there and that is part of the reason for the $$$$.
drivinwest
AG
Amazing to me how small the Dome looks in those pics and beside Reliant. When I was a kid I thought that place was enormous.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
quote:

Then it would not be free you ra-tard.

This aggs guy sounds awesome
CrossBowAg99
AG
I thought staph was gonna get it back for you. Too much Billi Douchi Dong Pics?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
I thought staph was gonna get it back for you. Too much Billi Douchi Dong Pics?

Yes
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
The old light boards before bud jackadams removed them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.