Houston
Sponsored by

Two Rows in Rice Village Closing

6,676 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by jetch17
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 9/20/2010 9:55p).]
Velvet Jones
AG
Finn, you know I'm no lawyer, but courts have been petty clear about maintain the 21st amendment's clear separation of the supplier ->distributor ->retailer tiers.

It's the same reason you don't see Budweiser bars here like you see Bass bars in England.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Two rows sucked. Adios.
wessimo
AG
The beers weren't amazing but I liked going on days when they were a buck. Hopefully the closure will open the door for somebody to open a better brewpub in Houston.
Houston_Ag
quote:
Dogfishhead in DE is nothing short of epic.

Across the board, they probably make the best craft beers I've had.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Well in the interest of keeping brewing going in Houston I've already called the owner of Two Row's to try and see what I can do to facilitate finding them a new location.
gindaloon
AG
I am willing to bet Two Rows is closing because of their own balance sheet as opposed to Weingarten's unwillingness to negotiate or lower lease rates. Two Rows was terrible.
BaileyAg
AG
Used to go there a lot but won't miss it...never crazy about their beer
62strat
AG
mark my words as soon as texas legislature is passed and brewpubs can distribute and vice versa, we will see a huge influx of new pubs and breweries opening up.

Houston has to be the biggest untapped market in the US.
Houston_Ag
Good timing on this discussion:

quote:
Dear Texas Craft Beer Lover:

Many of you have asked me how you can help change the brewery laws in Texas. This is a great opportunity!

Usually I avoid politics publicly like the plague. However I am making an exception for State Representative Jessica Farrar. She has been the leading supporter of craft breweries in Texas. Each of the past two sessions she has led the charge to attempt to get legislation passed that would make Texas a much better place for craft breweries to open and operate. As such, I have decided to host a fundraiser here at the brewery for her. The event will be at the brewery (2000 Lyons Ave.) on Monday, September 20 from 6 PM to 8 PM.

I invite you to come out and meet Representative Farrar. She will give a short address during the evening as well as be available to chat.

I will also be here and will give a quick talk about the Moveable Yeast series and be doing a three way tasting:
- Fancy Lawnmower Beer
- Weedwacker (Lawnmower made with Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast)
- A traditional Hefeweizen we brewed (same Hefeweizen yeast, more wheat)

The suggested donation for the evening will be $25. You may make a reservation and donation ahead of time or at the door. To make a reservation and donation now, please follow this link:
http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=fhrfcudab&oeidk=a07e30mjh85509029a2

Again, the date is Monday, September 20 from 6 PM to 8 PM at the brewery. I hope to see you here!

Cheers!

Brock Wagner

MaterialAg
AG
Two Rows was horrendous. I'm glad the space is going to something else with a chance of not utterly sucking.
Scantron882
AG
There were a run of them in the 90s, I remember two on the Richmond strip, one on each side.

There was Two Rows and the Bank Draft and I think maybe one other one at one point in the Village.

BJ's Brew Pub in Webster(which now I guess is St. Arnold's) but when they first opened was brewed on site I think and there are probably more of them around other parts of town.

The Bay brewery in Seabrook.

The Old Galeston Brewery and the Strand Brewery in Galveston.

I always like the Gordon Bierch one on the Embarcadero in SF.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
I am willing to bet Two Rows is closing because of their own balance sheet

Probably their income statement
slurpee
Weingarten has been tough on several businesses whose lease expired. They get the small business in on a short lease, then jack up the rate when it's time to renegotiate.
62strat
AG
quote:

BJ's Brew Pub in Webster(which now I guess is St. Arnold's)

there is currently a BJ's in webster.. saint arnolds is north of downtown
jetch17
AG
was he referring to Saint A's brewing doing the contract brewing for BJ's?

is the BJ's in Webster a fully finctional with brewery equipment, or setup like the Willowbrook one that recieves the contracted beer?
Chewy
AG
Whenever I see Growler Shack I don't think of getting beer to go as I think of Rex Ryan leaving something that could peel paint off the walls.

For some reasons those words make me not want to go near it.
62strat
AG
Jetch.. i think we figured this one at some point. St. arnolds does all brewing for all bj's in texas.. i'm pretty sure.

in tex. bj's can't brew at one location and ship to another.. so they'd have to brew at every location (each location brews for itself, for them to be legal..
hence the outsourcing.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 9/21/2010 4:54p).]
gordo97
AG
Dogfishhead in DE is nothing short of epic

on my list of places to visit ASAP
jetch17
AG
word 62strat, it seemed like we had a redundant similar convo, my mind escaped me.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.