Houston
Sponsored by

Tanglewilde neighborhood (west/gessner area)

8,326 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
rdag04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have family that lives in that neighborhood and really suggested I look over there. The houses on HAR are very updated and very affordable. I grew up spending time in that neighborhood at my grandparents house and always felt comfortable there.

Just wondering if anyone had insight that currently lives there. My family claims its no worse crime/hoodwise then most ITL/Beltway areas.

Thoughts?
StickyNote
Be careful. The ghetto wave is about to strike that area hard! A friend of mine just left that area due to crime.
rdag04
AG
thats a shame if its true, it is a beautiful neighborhood with big trees and cute houses
rdag04
AG
btw what makes you think the "ghetto wave" is about to strike? crimes increasing over the years?
HotardAg07
AG
I think that's an exaggeration.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I don't know about Tanglewilde specifically but I know a bunch of people who live right next door in Briargrove and they all love it.
babie_kreauxda
AG
briargrove/tanglewood/etc is really nice.

i dunno about tanglewilde.. that's out there a lil bit but probably alright.
Buck Turgidson
Lots of really low-end, crime generating apartments close by. Schools are bad.

There's no free lunch in Houston. If you want relative affordability, you either give on commute time, schools or crime (or some combination thereof).
BarryProfit
LOL, Tangelwood is a great area and one of the more high end communities in Houston. It's high dollar.
BarryProfit
You might as well start a thread asking if River Oaks or Hunters Creek is an OK place to live.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I'm a pretty big supporter of the Tanglewilde area. I own a condo here and I like it. I am now willing to admit that the demographics of the area are changing swiftly. The neighborhood you are asking about is still pretty good, but there is questionable apartments to the north and certified ghetto to the south. The inhabitants of each tend to use the neighborhood as a cut-through. I saw on Tanglewilde, betw Westheimer and Richmond, there are what appears to be cameras set up. Whether they are cameras, or not, they look suspicious enough for me to not want to buy in the area. If they have to put those up, it's a neighborhood hanging on by a thread. I would consider renting, but would not buy a home in that neighborhood at this time. I still love my area.
stroodles
AG
I live in Westmont. which is right next to Tanglewilde. I like the area a lot.

To be honest with you, there were several crimes in the area last year that really made me think about where I live, but things have calmed down in the past several months. My wife and I will be here for at least another 5 years. We like the area, and it is the cheapest homes this close to town. That and you are stumbling distance from Nicks Place.
texican08
AG
I was initially looking over there for a place to live, I was dissuaded from looking over there based off some posts on here.

I'm in Oak Forest now, price is higher for the same size house with updates but I'm happy with the decision.
stroodles
AG
The cameras are actually on Westerland Dr, and they are real. They were put up in the past several months. The neighborhood is hardly hanging on by a thread though. Since they have been installed there has not been one issue within the neighborhood. The area is either retired folks who bought here when it was new, or young working professionals. All the neighbors are very friendly, and we talk with several people every time we go for a walk around the neighborhood.
rdag04
AG
BarryProfit: Tanglewood =/= Tanglewilde

Stroodles: Is Westmont the neighborhood that Fairdale Lane is in??

[This message has been edited by rdag04 (edited 7/16/2010 6:46p).]
rdag04
AG
texican: oak forest and shepherd pines were other areas i was looking at but what you can get there for $250k you can get for $170k in tanglewilde. obviously tradeoffs come with that but i'm wondering if the trade offs are $80k worth

thanks for the input!
rdag04
AG
stroodles that demographic is on point with what my cousin told me (him and his wife are my age with a young child)...the other people i know in the neighborhood bought when it was new
stroodles
AG
no Westmont is on Westerland Dr btwn westheimer and richmond. It is directly east of Tanglewild. If you didnt know there was a difference between the to neighborhoods you would think that it is all part of tanglewilde.
stroodles
AG
Fairdale runs in both Tanglewilde and Westmont.
rdag04
AG
where do tanglewilde and westmont divide? is westmont better than tanglewilde?

i ask b/c my mom lived on fairdale growing up but she didn't think it was in tanglewilde. maybe it was westmont, i'll have to ask her
stroodles
AG
Basically the creek is the diving line. East of the creek is Westmont, west is Tanglewild.

Westmont is only Westerland Drive, and the 4 loops off of Westerland. I think there are grand total of 200 to 250 houses in Westmont.

There no difference between the two neighborhoods. They are basically the same homes. Tanglewilde is larger and is better known by name.

[This message has been edited by stroodles (edited 7/16/2010 7:09p).]
Mad Hatter
AG
This website is good for looking up the boundaries of subdivisions:

http://pwegis.pwe.ci.houston.tx.us/

GIMS (under all users) > close > zoom in to area of town > data layers (scroll icon at top right) > reference and boundary > select "subdivision" > select "lable"
Ezra Brooks
AG
We sold our home in Tanglewilde in May and moved to Kingwood.

We lived there for 4 years and liked it a lot, but it was time for us to get a bigger place.

There is crime in the area, but it seems to come waves and can be avoided if you are smart. Obviously, keep doors/windows locked and minimize what you keep visable in your car - lots of "smash and grabs".

I'll say that if you live in the interior of the neighborhood and away from Gessner/Westheimer/Richmond you'll be better off.

Most of the homes will be of the 3/2/2 variety, all built between the mid-50's and the late 60's. Many have been updated or will need it if they haven't been.
Karl Hungus
AG
I've got 3 freinds that live (or have lived) in Briargrove Park.

Good neighborhood and they have nothing but good things to say...
rdag04
AG
sort of sounds like commentary from most neighborhoods inside the beltway/loop.

some crime that comes in waves but for the most part the interior of the neighborhood is ok. i live in the nicest part of the heights and we still have car windows busted in on a regular basis. i think i would still prefer being careful and putting my car in a garage everynight and having a security system to a long commute.

thanks for the input guys!! i'm still at least a year and a half away from buying but i am definitely narrowing down neighborhoods
aggiedrew08
AG
I've recently bought a condo in the Tanglewilde area. So far so good, and I like the area. As far as the crime etc, there are a few lower end apt complexes, but anywhere in Houston you'll have that. My neighbors in my complex who have been around a while seem to like the area so it must not be too horrible
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Which complex did you buy at Drew?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.