Houston
Sponsored by

Lakeside Country Club

50,071 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by Diggity
BarryProfit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I was shopping around for Jr. memberships, Sweetwater, Houstonian, Braeburn and Royal Oaks we're all in the same price range. Sweetwater was actually the cheapest. Lakeside was a little more, but it wasn't drastic, which surprised me
My Mama Said
cclearman - thanks for the clarification. I guess the 'scuttlebut' ain't always all that.

We (Pine Forest) have an assessment vote sometime this week on $90k for new greens on another one of our 9-hole courses. We did the White 9 last summer out of existing capital funds, but this year is a different story....

Just about everybody has a good membership deal going now. There was a great article in Golf Magazine (SI's version) last month about even the most elite clubs struggling. I think they profiled a club in West Palm that had a lot of Madoff's clients...
Ezra Brooks
AG
Mama - how many members to PF have?

I guess what I'm really asking is - what is the impact of a $90K assessment to your dues?
CSTXAG2015
Lakeside has the best showers too. the water pressure is like a controlled explosion.
My Mama Said
Ezra - I think we have ~600 total members, but only 400 or so full equity members that are subject to the assessment. About $200/each, I think. This is a 1-time assessment, no recurring impact to dues.

We had a USGA agronomist work with James Edgeron (our super, formerly of Houstonian) on the condition of our greens on the Green & Gold 9s. The report, which was fantastic, concluded that they are basically at the end of their useful life (since 1974). Before he left ~3 yrs ago, George Manuel (now super @ Royal Oaks) said we would have to re-do sometime soon. We almost lost them early last summer, but James somehow saved them. The upshot is the new greens on the white 9 completed last Sept are fantastic - we are all *really* looking forward to having another new 9 come late September again.

Come next Sept, Pine Forest will have completely rebuilt every bunker (2007) and have all new greens. Good stuff!

[This message has been edited by My Mama Said (edited 6/23/2009 2:38p).]
HouAggie
AG
Build the greens a little bigger this time.
Ezra Brooks
AG
$200 for new greens is pretty reasonable.

I just always hear horror stories about assessments.

I've played Pine Forest once (don't recall what 9's we played) and really enjoyed it.

I agree with Hou though - the greens were small.
My Mama Said
Hou - One of the main goals for the re-construct is reclaiming green 'lost' to fringe over the last 35 years. The greens on the white 9 are now 35% larger than before, and we are doing the same with the new ones for the Green/Gold 9s.

The enlargement is one of the primary benefits.
jkh12
I am a member at Falcon Point. Just joined in May. The course could be one of the most difficult in Houston. The junior program there got me to join because of the cost. It doesn't feel like a country club, it feels more like a golf club because the tennis and swimming is down the street. What FP lacks in facilities, it makes up for in the golf course. Good shape and extremely difficult. I looked at all the west houston clubs in my search, and felt the 250.00 intiation for a 1 year loyalty and the 249 a month was too good to pass up at 28 years old.

By the time i am in my 40's i would like to join Houstonian because that course is fantastic.
CSTXAG2015
Lakeside's junior membership is 15k and then $200 a month. I guess looking back on it, thats really reasonable.
Sazerac
AG
My golf teammate growing up just accepted the head pro gig at Falcon Pointe, starts July 1st.
RandyAg98
AG
Has anyone ever played Golf Club at Cinco Ranch? How is it? Is it Public?
BarryProfit
It is public and mediocre.
TulaneAg
I love Cinco...to offer you another opinion.
RandyAg98
AG
Anyone know anything about Willow Fork CC?
TulaneAg
Willow Fork is my least favorite of the private clubs out on the west side...
HouAggie
AG
quote:
My golf teammate growing up just accepted the head pro gig at Falcon Pointe, starts July 1st.

Name?
HouAggie
AG
quote:
Hou - One of the main goals for the re-construct is reclaiming green 'lost' to fringe over the last 35 years. The greens on the white 9 are now 35% larger than before, and we are doing the same with the new ones for the Green/Gold 9s.

I actually meant to use the wink face, not the thumbs down. I've got nothing against small greens...always up for a different challenge. I really like all 3 nines at PF.
bularry
i have limited club experience, but I'm fortunate to know someone who is a member at Shadow Hawk and its a very good experience going out there. they treat you right. The Houstonian out there is nice, too.

what my friend loves about Shadow Hawk is many of the members hardly ever go out there, so its not crowded at all.
Sazerac
AG
HouAggie,
His name is Toby Grubert. If you're a member I'm sure you'll meet him soon.
BarryProfit
quote:
but I'm fortunate to know someone who is a member at Shadow Hawk and its a very good experience going out there. they treat you right.

That's like saying you can get a good round in at Pebble or that a Ferrari is a nice car to drive.
HouAggie
AG
Not a member out there, but I'm pretty sure I know Toby. Not that well, obviously, as I don't know if that's his last name!
Diggity
AG
quote:
That's like saying you can get a good round in at Pebble or that a Ferrari is a nice car to drive.

I did hear it was pretty choice.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.