Houston
Sponsored by

Whats the deal with the freaking ez tag only?

17,250 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AJ02
cjg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beltway 8 has eliminated toll operators on some of their entrances and gone to ez tag only. You would think they would let us idiot drivers know about it in advance.

Can any lawyer bring some class action suit or something?

Vero143
Personally, I think it is a great idea and there should be more of them. It eliminates the idiots at on-ramps that cause jams looking for loose change. I know the one by my office, near Hammerly and 8, is fantastic for the ride home. I just get on the freeway without needing to stop for some dewsh that feels the need to hit on the toll-lady.
Houston_Ag
There should be an amendment to the state constitution passed that all toll roads must be EZ tag only. I know the Westpark did it because they didn't have enough land to build toll booths, but damn it is nice.
Vero143
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
quote:
Can any lawyer bring some class action suit or something?

I know you're joking (at least I hope), but why in the world would you live in the Houston area and not have an EZ Tag. Problem solved. It baffles me every day when I see the insane volumes of cars lined up for the cash lanes. Get a freaking EZ Tag... it's not rocket science.
Wolfman03
AG
The extra EZ Tag lanes that were added earlier this year in each direction of the mainlane booth at BW8 and Westheimer have really, really helped the flow of traffic during rush hour.

I don't think BW8 and Hardy should be EZ Tag only, but they should definitely cater to those with EZ Tags.
flipper
EZ Tag
aggivedave16
quote:
Get a freaking EZ Tag...

Amen.
cjg89
AG
It is the one at Hammerly and 8 that got me. I use the Beltway made twice a month, if that, and never during rush hour. I was just surprised it went to ez tag only. Didn't notice it the first time, just assumed it was like the one exiting at Hammerly. Saw the sign the second time.

Yes, I admit I am now forced to get an ez tag. Don't like paying that damn adm fee of $35 for $1.50 in tolls. I will shut up and join the masses now.

Vero143
Admin fee of 35$?

When did this happen? When I signed up in January last year it was a 15 dollar deposit on the tag itself and that was it.
redag06
Whatever happened to getting rid of the toll roads...when they were paid off?

But on a side note....I have no need for an ez tag, since I very rarely use the toll roads, doesn't make sense for me. But, also makes no sense for Harris County to make all EZ tag lanes, what happens to out of towners that don't have ez tag?
flipper
If you use it more than once in a blue moon, the $15 set up fee pays for itself in a few months.

quote:
But on a side note....I have no need for an ez tag, since I very rarely use the toll roads, doesn't make sense for me. But, also makes no sense for Harris County to make all EZ tag lanes, what happens to out of towners that don't have ez tag?

They can use the feeder. Or if they have an EZ Tag from Austin or Dallas it will work here.

[This message has been edited by Ellie (edited 1/3/2008 10:25a).]
Houston_Ag
Why do you think they are called freeways?
cjg89
AG
$35 is for going through the ez tag lane without and ez tag. They got a nice picture of of my license plate and sent me a bill for $1.50 in tolls + $35 adm fee.

Wonder how much they rake in on admin fees? I am sure I am not the only dumbass that did not notice the switch to ez tag only.

flipper
quote:
Harris County does not have an appeal process, but we do have a hearing process where assumed violators have the opportunity to present their argument to a judge.

For unpaid invoices, the following steps take place:

Step #1: If payment is not received within thirty (30) business days, a $42 fee is added to the outstanding Toll Violation Invoice and the invoice is referred to a collection agency.

Step #2: For a period of thirty (30) days, the collection agency prepares and mails a series of demand letters and makes attempts to contact the toll violator by telephone.

Step #3: If payment is not received within sixty (60) days after the collection agency's efforts have taken place and if the toll violator is eligible for an Administrative Hearing, an additional fee is added to the outstanding amount and a hearing is scheduled.

Step #4: During the Administrative Hearing process a judge will listen to arguments presented by the Toll Road Authority and by the toll violator and issue an Order of Judgment. The Order of Judgment will indicate the Judge's ruling and determine the final amount due. As a part of the ruling, the Judge has the option to assess additional fines, flag (block) the vehicle registration, or place a device (boot) on the vehicle prohibiting movement until the outstanding tolls and fees are paid.

Contact Us
Customer Service: 281-875-EASY (3279)

Administrative Hearing Center
Downtown - Cotton Exchange Building
1310 Prairie, 3rd Floor
Houston, Texas 77002

Administrative Hearing Center
Westside Service Center
2705 W. Sam Houston Pkwy N.
Houston, Texas 77043

Vero143
i guess I could learn to read better. I misunderstood you.

Sign up for one. Costs nothing to have it for those days you will rarely use it.
cjg89
AG
Of course I fully admit I should already have an ez tag.

My surprise is the move to ez tag only without more notification or signage. I usually keep up with this kind of misc. Houston news.

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I am sure I am not the only dumbass that did not notice the switch to ez tag only.

If you are on a motorcycle, you can white line at the booth, and you won't set off the camera.

So I hear.
Vero143
quote:
My surprise is the move to ez tag only without more notification or signage.

There was a sign there since September. Pretty good notification in my book.
cjg89
AG
You call that a sign? Small little thing is hard to see when your distracted by a cell phone and operating on autopilot.

Gig-Em2003
AG
If you want to avoid the $15 fee to get a new EZTag, just get a NTTA Tolltag (Dallas' version). Tolltags work in Houston and there is no fee to obtain one.
BMX Bandit
If you can't afford the $15, you should take the bus to work.
Cali.Kat
Just moved to Golden Triangle and Houston trip rare. ALL map programs send you on toll roads. Where is the alternate route?
Liquid Wrench
:TimelyBump:

You can select non-tolls on most map programs. Otherwise, just take I-10 into town and go from there?
aggie7911
What's the deal with airline food
agdaddy04
AG
Go to your google maps option and select "avoid toll roads"
94chem
Still not sure how visitors are supposed to get around. Of course, any time I'm traveling, I have no clue if the road I'm on has any reciprocation with my Houston tag, or if I need a different tag. I know that 90% of you never leave Houston, so you can tldr this.
Clavell
AG
Quote:

Just moved to Golden Triangle

WWWHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????
BowSowy
AG
Your EZ Tag should work in TollTag or TxTag lanes, as well. Apparently they also work on Kansas toll roads for some strange reason.
BigPuma
AG
EZ Tag works in Austin and Dallas area toll roads.
BMX Bandit
94chem said:

Still not sure how visitors are supposed to get around. Of course, any time I'm traveling, I have no clue if the road I'm on has any reciprocation with my Houston tag, or if I need a different tag. I know that 90% of you never leave Houston, so you can tldr this.

Driving hard
aTm_bomb
AG
Clavell said:

Quote:

WWWHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????
Only people that just moved there call it the Golden Triangle... Nothing golden about Denton. I have heard that term for 20 years and it never seemed to catch on locally.
Diggity
AG
I always thought of the golden triangle as Beaumont/PAT/Orange
94chem
Quote:

Whatever that is. Is it near the "Brazos Valley?"
Ronnie
AG
The golden triangle is Beaumont-Pt. Arthur-Orange

Don't let some yankee tell you different
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.