Metroplex
Sponsored by

Double Dave's coming back to the 214

5,932 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ftworthag02
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes!!!

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-21-22-double-daves-pizza-lakewood-theater/

walton91
Oh, hell yes!

Me: I'd like to place an order to go
DD: Sure. What can we get you?
Me: Peproni rolls
DD: How many
Me: All of them would be great
rynning
AG
We used to go the one in Frisco, then quality and service went down, we stopped going, and they eventually closed down. Is the new one franchise or company managed?
walton91
Guessing franchise. The owner of Bowlskis is bringing it to the Lakewood Theater, replacing the bar they had in there. Sounds like he's been a lifelong fan

Quote:

"I grew up eating it," Spivey says. "I had it when I lived in Austin, and also went to the one on Greenville Avenue. When they closed that, I'd go to the location in Arlington and bring it home."

He says felt he needed a destination food operation in addition to Bowlskis.

"During COVID, we discovered that people were coming to bowl but not to eat, and I felt like we needed to get something special there," he says.
Buford Tannen
AG
This guy is a genius. Huge service done for the community.
Hincemm
AG
i think the one in mansfield was around less than a year.

hope they can figure this out
wangus12
AG
Yeah they don't seem to last long. I've driven 380 all the way to Denton to get them recently.

BoomGoesThe
I may have kept my house and not moved if this had happened a year ago. Good stuff. This does make four places to get pizza within about a mile of each other though, right? At least they're all different types of places/pizza.
CoppellAg93
AG
If we're heading back home to Dallas from Houston, we usually stop in Huntsville and pick up 2-3 dozen rolls. It's right off of I-45 so it's pretty convenient - just have to heat them up later.

We live in Coppell and the Denton and Keller locations are both about 25 miles away.
FTAco07
AG
East Dallas/Lakewood definitely has developed quite the pizza culture in the last couple of years.

Thunderbird Pies is definitely my favorite plus Cane Rosso, Louie's, GAPC, and now DD pepperoni rolls!
dave94
AG
And now a new Freebird's in downtown!

https://fb.watch/bvUTNTTaF0/

ETA: I work downtown so it will be nice to grab lunch there from time to time.
big ben
AG
Freebirds is not what it used to be….but what is these days
Carlo4
AG
There used to be 20-30 locations in DFW back around 2008. Now only 2 (Keller and Denton)
dave94
AG
Carlo4 said:

There used to be 20-30 locations in DFW back around 2008. Now only 2 (Keller and Denton)

It's a travesty. No other place that tries rolls is even close.
ftworthag02
AG
fort worth (camp bowie) sucked! Mamas took over the space, way better!
drewser95
AG
Hoping that the Lakewood location can make a go of it since it's a smaller operation this time. I feel like the earlier DFW locations had trouble competing with the likes of CiCi's, etc., (yuck) on the buffets.
aggolfer
AG
There was one in Allen, at least I saw the sign. I am not sure they even opened.
dave94
AG
I'm still bummed the only Wings N More ever in the area didn't survive.
Gomer95
AG
I love DoubleDave's but I wish they would add jalapenos in pepperoni rolls as an option. Man that would be AWESOME!
powerbelly
AG
dave94 said:

Wings N More is awful. There is a reason they don't survive in a place with other options.
bert harbinson
AG
I walked into Lakewood Theater last week just for a look see, what a bizarre, fun scene. Ten bowling lanes in full use, and a stage above the pins with a live band playing.
aggolfer
AG
powerbelly said:

dave94 said:

Wings N More is awful. There is a reason they don't survive in a place with other options.
Yea, i was back in CS a few years back and ate there. It was terrible but makes sense.
dave94
AG
aggolfer said:

powerbelly said:

dave94 said:

Yea, i was back in CS a few years back and ate there. It was terrible but makes sense.
Every time I go in CS it's as good as I remember.

To each their own I suppose.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I never cared for DoubleDave's.

I ate the **** out of for it sure in college, but their pizza was always mediocre and the rolls were just ok.

Our neighbor was a DoubleDave's manager at the Harvey location. If he knew we were all up on a Fri/Sat night he'd bring a box full of rolls. He'd also let us hook our Playstation up to the bigscreen and fill our own pitchers of beer, and make a batch of rolls/pizza for us to eat once the store closed.

That. Was. Awesome.

Food was always just mediocre.

Best rolls I've had by a mile are at 5th Street Pizza in Allen. I'd take those over any slice of pepperoni.
Take the trash out staff.
walton91
Hello
Captn_Ag05
AG
Just wanted to bump this in case people didn't see the location in Dallas on Abrams is open. I do this selfishly because I've gone in for rolls twice and been the only person in there. I love their rolls and want them to stay in business so go hit them up!
walton91
Have gone in twice myself. The world is a better place with rolls so close to me
Teacher_Ag
AG
Wish they'd open a location in McKinney
Ag CPA
AG
We started making the rolls at home a few years ago using Central Market pizza dough (too lazy to start from scratch); of course we add jalapenos but otherwise it is just dough, provolone and pepperoni.
wangus12
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

Wish they'd open a location in McKinney
Same. Its a long drive on 380 to the one in Denton.

I do work at 635/Preston so I could theoretically get to the one on Greenville, but thats a helluva drive home
walton91
Ag CPA said:

We started making the rolls at home a few years ago using Central Market pizza dough (too lazy to start from scratch); of course we add jalapenos but otherwise it is just dough, provolone and pepperoni.
I prefer to outsource the construction of my peproni rolls
BSpencer00
AG
There is one in Denison at a Main Event like place called Hey Day. Probably same distance as Denton but a lot less stressful drive than 380. Can't vouch for the quality there but I drive by it when visiting my folks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem70
AG
Over the last couple of years the rolls in CS seem to have less and less pepperoni in them.
dave94
AG
walton91 said:

Have gone in twice myself. The world is a better place with rolls so close to me
Finally got to stop by this past weekend. Rolls were pretty great.

It wasn't very busy for a Saturday afternoon, but it was the holiday weekend and they seemed to be getitng a lot of pick up orders.
dave94
AG
gigem70 said:

Over the last couple of years the rolls in CS seem to have less and less pepperoni in them.
I worked there back in the day as a delivery driver and if I recall it should be 6 pepperoni per roll.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.