Metroplex
Sponsored by

Living in Kessler Park

5,355 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
ac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jamotoe1 said:

For example, this property is soo intriguing and tempting. It needs to be gutted due to mold, electric, plumbing, pet odors etc, but is an amazing house and lot with so much potential that has the vibe we like. I just don't really care for the neighborhood, which is ultimately a deal breaker. I know it's a lot farther east then you're talking about though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9023-Capri-Dr-Dallas-TX-75238/26832119_zpid/
perhaps i am out of touch but that looks like a $600k pile of **** to me
aa4136
Demasiado...

Any thoughts on living in the area right around the elementary school? We found some houses we are interested in a few blocks north of W. Davis Street and east of Hampton.

Also any realtor contacts you have that are familiar with the area? Let me know!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I mean it's no McTrack home in suburbia, I'd love to redo that one, very cool looking place
Demasiado
AG
I live close to there, in west kessler. The upper campus old rosemont is getting a huge renovation that will make the areas around it much more desirable imo. The renderings look awesome. If you put up with an apartment around methodist, you can put up with anything... anything north of Davis there won't be any issues. There are some great areas south of Davis but you have to more selective
Demasiado
AG
And there are no shortage of realtors in this area. They are everywhere! Rosemont dads club golf tournament is sponsored by like 4 or 5. Mike bates and ged dipprey, I know both personally, they both live in the area and were both great to work with
jamotoe1
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I mean it's no McTrack home in suburbia, I'd love to redo that one, very cool looking place
It's fascinating what appeals to some and not others. I'd chose character and architectural design any day over new and trendy. It's physically pains me when I see a listing for a cool older home where someone has slapped white paint on the brick, done a white kitchen, barn doors and some of the moment tile.
YouBet
AG
jamotoe1 said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

It's fascinating what appeals to some and not others. I'd chose character and architectural design any day over new and trendy. It's physically pains me when I see a listing for a cool older home where someone has slapped white paint on the brick, done a white kitchen, barn doors and some of the moment tile.

That's because 98% of new builds are white and fairly modern. It is interesting watching the groupthink on home trends though.
jamotoe1
That's what I was implying. JoAnna gains had an original viewpoint and style (not mine, albeit) at the time, but why everyone copies it or something else is beyond me. Maybe I'm just ranting about the concept of trends and, as you put it, groupthink. Like, if you really love shiplap on your own, do you, but when everyone suddenly chooses the same thing, it's hard to believe it's really their true style. End of rant. Sorry.
powerbelly
AG
jamotoe1 said:

That's what I was implying. JoAnna gains had an original viewpoint and style (not mine, albeit) at the time, but why everyone copies it or something else is beyond me. Maybe I'm just ranting about the concept of trends and, as you put it, groupthink. Like, if you really love shiplap on your own, do you, but when everyone suddenly chooses the same thing, it's hard to believe it's really their true style. End of rant. Sorry.

By that logic very few people have their own style in home decor or anything really.

And this is from someone who hates her style.
jamotoe1
I get what you're saying. There is a scale of things and I'd say a lot of home design, finishes and decor is over the top following trends. I'm not saying that everything or anything I like is completely unique, but there is something about it that gets under my skin. I just somehow doubt that so many people would really choose to buy a live, laugh, love or eat or whatever sign to display in their home if they were independently evaluating if they really like it. Of course we are all influenced by what's around us to some extent and I can't deny that, but trends these days seem a bit extreme. I'll also concede that building design and finishes have to take into account mass appeal for resale. I guess I'm an old now and will try to blame social media or something like that. Perhaps I need some therapy for my irritation with this. Kidding….kinda
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
For me it's updating something that stays true to original design but adds modern elements and personal taste. We just did a 1939 Craftsman which of course has lots of shiplap . The only place we exposed it was the ceiling. We then went mid century modern/classic with the interior with a focus on making it look as big as possible and then adding elements of navy where we could because we like the classsic ocean vibe. Finally we restored all the wood floors and salvaged floors for the new parts. I ended up buying floors out of a home on this historic registry originally installed in 1898 for a governors daughter. I'll take all that over a bonus room any day but having kids I do long for my space but I wouldn't trade it

I could get real funky with that treasure in KP
YouBet
AG
jamotoe1 said:

I get what you're saying. There is a scale of things and I'd say a lot of home design, finishes and decor is over the top following trends. I'm not saying that everything or anything I like is completely unique, but there is something about it that gets under my skin. I just somehow doubt that so many people would really choose to buy a live, laugh, love or eat or whatever sign to display in their home if they were independently evaluating if they really like it. Of course we are all influenced by what's around us to some extent and I can't deny that, but trends these days seem a bit extreme. I'll also concede that building design and finishes have to take into account mass appeal for resale. I guess I'm an old now and will try to blame social media or something like that. Perhaps I need some therapy for my irritation with this. Kidding….kinda
I actually don't see much of that anymore here in North Dallas. Granted, almost every home going up within 1-2 miles of us is a $2M modern, white home. The only other build I see besides that one is an occasional modern, non-white home. Essentially, almost every lot gets scraped and then the white mansion goes up.

However, that in and of itself is a groupthink trend as that is about the only house being built right now and for the past 2-3 years in this area. Pretty soon every home is going to be 4,000+ sq ft, white, and modern.

Our house is quite unique and would be considered highly out of date at this point. It's a one story, u-shaped house. Most categorize it as California ranch but that can mean alot of things. We have a lot of cherry wood throughout. Basically our entire kitchen is this with trim throughout living areas:

Not necessarily a huge fan of that but it's all high end appliances and well done. We at least aren't cookie cutter!
Carlo4
AG
I recommend finding a structure to live in and not a park.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I read this 3x before I got the joke
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.