Metroplex
Sponsored by

Appliance Shopping - Sub Zero and Wolf

7,083 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Red Rover
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are in the very early stages of a remodel.

We are wanting to price out high end appliances (specifically, Sub Zero / Wolf / Cove) but also will be looking at Kitchen Aid and a few other different lines. Want to have both numbers in mind so then when we work with contracts we can decide if we want to do more with the actual remodel and lower appliances or go w/ better appliances and a more basic remodel.

I know Sub Zero are "fixed" pricing but curious if anyone has gone through the process recently in DFW? We are working currently with Ed Kellum but I think i want to have Gold Star and Ferguson all provide quotes. Will there be any difference? Will there be a chance to get differences in delivery / install / other perks or should I just pick my favorite contact as differentiation will be negligible?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Read the reviews before committing to those brands they aren't the same quality the used to be, however if you want a "built in" fridge you likely end up there

You contractor will get a 20% break at places like Ferguson which they will turn around and mark up to with the percentage, so basically you pay the same whether you or your contractor buys it there
planoaggie123
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Read the reviews before committing to those brands they aren't the same quality the used to be, however if you want a "built in" fridge you likely end up there

You contractor will get a 20% break at places like Ferguson which they will turn around and mark up to with the percentage, so basically you pay the same whether you or your contractor buys it there

The built in fridge is what we are going for. That is the #1 priority. We want a good fridge. I am open to anyone who thinks another brand of built in is better but seems like Sub Zero is probably the best.

As for the "rest" of the appliances (oven, range, dishwasher, etc), we can probably diverge (but keep consistent....so like Sub Fridge and all rest bosch or all rest kitchen aid).

We have a bit of time and are not set in stone on anything. Maybe the best thing is just to let them all give us their best numbers. Sub Zero / Wolf is doing a price increase effective 10/1 so that is our only "rush"...
380Ag
AG
I'm not sure about Sub-Zero/Wolf but we typically buy our appliances from Ferguson. From what we have found they usually have the best prices
Garrelli 5000
AG
We went with the built-in 48" Kitchenaid fridge when we built our home. It was $6700 compared to around $12K for the Subzero equivalent.

We had 2 warranty repairs - some of the LED lights stopped working. That tech found our ice maker doing something that he said would eventually lead to it failing, so that was replaced too.

Cross our fingers that's it. Otherwise it has been great.

Would I love the Subzero - of course - but it got cut in the budget.

We did get a Wolf 48" dual-fuel range - 6 burners plus the infrared griddle. It's awesome. If I did it again I'd consider 4 burner plus the larger griddle. If you need more than 4 pots pots on the top you can always put them on the griddle if necessary.
planoaggie123
AG
Appreciate the response.

We love our house but our kitchen is not the best "set-up" but we agreed we would operate within the confines of the current plan and upgrade appliances / paint / countertops vs a complete re-do (new cabinets, move plumbing, etc).

With that said....we only have room for a 30" cooktop. Currently using a 28 year old Jenn Air which honestly works like a champ but definitely lacks the "precision" or "consistency." Also, our double stack oven space is only 27" which is EXTREMELY limiting.

Do you mind if I ask where you bought?
Garrelli 5000
AG
It was done via the homebuilder. They said Ferguson was their appliance supplier.

planoaggie123
AG
ahh ok.

I think i am about to just start emailing all Dallas-based authorized dealers and let them tell me what they can do....
Garrelli 5000
AG
Good luck, i'm sure you'll love whatever you end up with!
Demasiado
AG
2014 we wanted american made, stainless steel and eco friendly so that took us to kitchen aid. Since that time we had 4 fridge repairs, 2 microwave and 2 oven. Pretty frustrating but they did give us a new fridge for free, which I also have had a repairman out to once...
Bones97
AG
Did a kitchen remodel a few years ago.
Went with the 48" wolf, 4 burners, double griddle and love it. Had a previous home with 36" wolf so knew what we were getting.

About to bite the bullet on new fridge but the 18 year old 48" built in GE monogram is still holding up. I'd consider other brands in addition to Sub here but stay in the higher end ($12-$15k) for quality/longevity.

Ovens - depends on your cooking level. If it's frozen pizzas and chicken strips, go Kitchen Aid and save $4k but if cooking is your thing, you'll appreciate the higher end.
planoaggie123
AG
Ouch. I thought KitchenAid was a bit more reliable. Thank you for explaining your experience.
planoaggie123
AG
Other brands on fridge I assume on would be Dacor or Thermador or Viking?

For oven we don't do a ton to be honest but our oven and cooktop are on same side so we want brand match and my wife doesn't care for the kitchenaid cooktop.
Joseydog
AG
I have kitchenaid ovens. I do not recommend. They are about four years old and I already had to have them fixed because the temperature probe went bad about 2 years ago. I need them fixed again now.
planoaggie123
AG
Wow. Ok. Thank you. Quickly losing interest in that brand lol.

Our kitchen is so funky one of the few other "high end" brands that work would be Jenn Air which is what we are replacing. Considering age, etc we are very happy with how it even still works.....our issue with Jenn Air is their stuff is a tad too modern and for whatever reason they have different style branding on their own stuff which to me is super strange. Its not out of the question but it has a few less than ideal points on it. Also not sure if still built as well as they were 25+ years ago....
Bones97
AG
Miele is another high end I'd look at. Stay away from Viking, their quality dropped years ago when they moved manufacturing.

Ferguson has a good showroom in Frisco where you can see all brands.

I put kitchen aid ovens in our last house. Zero issues from 2010-2016 but maybe their quality has dropped off per other posters.
planoaggie123
AG
Just booked an appt with Ferguson for Friday.

Will take a look at Miele. My in-laws have a few Miele appliances and like them so far.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Any feedback on Bertazzoni? Seems to be in the same price range as Kitchenaid but haven't heard much on them before we started looking for our new build.
HarleySpoon
AG
In the middle of a new build..only a few more months to go. We ordered our appliances last November.they have arrived and should be installed in a couple of months. After doing quite a bit of research on the evolution of the quality of the premium, built in brands, we went with Thermador for ovens and fridge. We are in a pretty rural area, so service response and reliability were/are pretty important to us.
planoaggie123
AG
We will be looking at Thermador again on Friday....i feel like we are set on Sub but definitely going to let them propose a package or two and consider cost / benefit...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I have the kitchenaid double (microwave/convection) + convection and love it, but I have only had it 1 year
planoaggie123
AG
Anyone with recent JennAir experience? We are replacing JennAir items that are nearly 27 years old so they obviously held up but know quality ebbs and flows with manufacturers. Would be double oven and cooktop.
YouBet
AG
We bought a house with sub zero and Wolf. Wolf is great. I will say the subzero is kind of like owning a German car out of warranty though. If you have to do repairs out of warranty you are basically looking at the equivalent cost of a new fridge. And with that built in look you might as well just pay to repair it rather than buy new.

One other thing....our sub zero has the freezer on the bottom with a pull out bin. I HATE it. Imagine yourself having to bend over every time you need to get ice or get in the freezer and pull a heavy ass bin out. Sounds dumb to complain about but it's GD annoying when we you could easily just put your glass into a normal door water/ice dispenser. Also, I have a bad back so it's highly inconvenient.

Just make sure you don't get that model.
planoaggie123
AG
Lol thanks for the reassurance.

We currently have a bottom pull out fridge and that is likely the model we will get in Sub. It provides the most fridge capacity and total capacity for our size. We don't plan to use ice from the fridge and we don't do a lot of frozen foods so not a big impact.
YouBet
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Lol thanks for the reassurance.

We currently have a bottom pull out fridge and that is likely the model we will get in Sub. It provides the most fridge capacity and total capacity for our size. We don't plan to use ice from the fridge and we don't do a lot of frozen foods so not a big impact.
It does but I curse it every time I have to bend over and pull my back out to get it open.
planoaggie123
AG
I have a few more years till I am an old man and about 12 years of kids to help if i pull something lol.

The one thing I struggle with on that bottom freezer....the grate (rather than a solid bottom)....seems....strange? We have wood floors in kitchen so it bugs me a bit but if necessary I am sure I can figure something out....
Rubble
AG
I'm just happy to see so many recommendations for the company I work for.

As far as Sub/Wolf, they are a UMRP brand and they set the price, not the distributors. Keep that in mind when doing your shopping for them. If you find a cheaper price, it's probably not a good idea to buy it from them. Also, supply chain issues are real, especially with appliances. You could be waiting 6 months or more to get anything.

PM me if you want.
FTAco07
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Any feedback on Bertazzoni? Seems to be in the same price range as Kitchenaid but haven't heard much on them before we started looking for our new build.
I have a Bertazzoni dual fuel range. I like it a lot but did have to replace the lower heating element after a couple years. It was easy enough to do so no big deal really.

All of my other appliances are Bosch and they're awesome. Haven't had any problems at all with the fridge or microwave and the dishwasher is the quietest dishwasher I've ever heard. I would strongly recommend Bosch based on by 6 years of experience so far.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks! We've seen good reviews on Bertazzoni but had never heard of it before visiting a show room.

We are definitely looking at Bosch for the dishwasher as it seems to have the best noise and use of space for us.
planoaggie123
AG
Went to Ferguson's. Great experience. We liked Ed Kellum too but a bit more personal and precessional at Fergusons.

Plan to go to Gold Star this weekend too if we can get an appt.

Main issue now is convincing wife JennAir is not entry level and is ok vs Sub/Wolf lol.

My only issue with JennAir is their fridge being dark on inside. Prefer bright fridge. If JennAir had better fridge the debate would be easier.
2aggiesmom
planoaggie123 said:

We will be looking at Thermador again on Friday....i feel like we are set on Sub but definitely going to let them propose a package or two and consider cost / benefit...
We did a down to the studs remodel in 2019. I wanted a counter depth built in Refrigerator. We got a Thermadore package that included frig, cooktop ( convection) double ovens, vent hood, dishwasher , and microwave. I believe the cost was around 17,000. We live in Colleyville, and bought at Ed Kellum and Son's in Southlake.

We have had zero problems. I cook almost every meal. I love to cook. I got convection because it is so wonderfully easy to keep clean. It has no knobs , all touch control and boils a big pot of water in about 3 mins or less. The microwave is Bosch which is Thermadore in Germany. I love the quality.

This was right after the appliances were installed. We had not removed the film from the door.

planoaggie123
AG
That looks awesome.

Unfortunately we are leaving cabinets in place and we realized Thermador does not offer a 27" oven option.

We are set on sub fridge. The debate now is JennAir or Wolf for the remainder (oven / cooktop). We will save several thousand with JennAir but we do like the look of the Wolf stuff.
2aggiesmom
planoaggie123 said:

That looks awesome.

Unfortunately we are leaving cabinets in place and we realized Thermador does not offer a 27" oven option.

We are set on sub fridge. The debate now is JennAir or Wolf for the remainder (oven / cooktop). We will save several thousand with JennAir but we do like the look of the Wolf stuff.
We bought our house in 1991. This is our first remodel. Most of our neighbors have already remodeled twice. We waited due to putting two kids through school, no loans. Our house was paid for so we decide to do it all at once, master bath, all hardwoods floors, lighting, new windows, etc. We had the typical 90s kitchen with a wall half way and a small center island with a jenn air downdraft. I hated it but made do for 30 years. I was really looking for function first, and it is super functional now.

I year after we finished my husband was in the hospital for 15 days with open heart surgery. We were happy we did it when we did.

Goodluck on your remodel and enjoy the results!
planoaggie123
AG
Your house sounds much like ours.1993 build. JennAir downdraft. Small island. Your new looks like my wife wants in a perfect world but we have to compromise and decided to focus on appliances. Cost can get out of hand quick.

mts6175
AG
Why is your oven space limited to 27"? Is it a 30" wide cabinet that's trimmed in to hold a 27" oven, or is it actually a 27-28"" wide cabinet? If it's a 30" wide cabinet, you can most likely fit a 30" oven depending on the manufacturer and the panel thickness of your cabinet. The required cut out is usually around 28.5" for a 30" oven.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.