Metroplex
Sponsored by

Burleson/Joshua/Crowley

2,383 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SuzyQ06
Aggie1205
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Potentially moving to this general area. Anyone have any feedback on areas to seek/avoid, school districts, or any other general feedback?
mosdefn14
AG
Joshua has come a long way since hurricane Katrina. Crowley too, but in opposite directions.

If you care about residential real estate appreciation or using public schools, stay away from Crowley ISD.

Burleson used to be a neat little town with a good culture. Then the barnett shale happened.
TSUAggie
White trash capital of the world.
MIAGD
AG
Went to Crowley schools kindergarten through high school graduating in 2001. The town/city has changed a lot and in my opinion not for the better. I've heard good things about Joshua.
Carlo4
AG
We live right off of Chisholm Trail/MacPherson. Right in FW/Crowley line. It will be our "starter home" and will move somewhere like Aledo or Trophy Club or Colleyville in a few years once the housing craze stops and we get kids that are school age. We found a new well built home that should do well financially once they finish the development in 2-3 years.

They are trying to add some nicer homes in the area, but then build ones that are brand new for $200k and crappy apartments. It's kind of mind boggling why they are building $500k plus homes on one side and then turn around and build garbage right next to it. When I walk into the 7-11 off sycamore school right off Chisholm Trail, I can tell the Asian owners are excited when someone working a normal life, 8-5 type walk into the store. I've seen some harassment of staff by teenagers and adults for no reason other than previous negative encounters or because they are Asian.

No way in hell I live here long term.

I know in 10-15 years, my part will be the ghetto
SuzyQ06
I grew up in Cleburne. I live in Mansfield. I know this area and I too considered Cleburne, Godley, Joshua, and Burleson. I did not consider Crowley (because, see above).

Cleburne in the 1980s/1990s used to dominate over those others. Burleson was our rival. Joshua was the whipping boy in everything.

Now, somehow that dynamic has changed. Joshua has really good schools. Burleson is also solid (but get with a REALLY good realtor, because some schools are good and some schools are not so good. I cannot remember which is which since they added the "new" high school.").

Cleburne's lack of growth is disappointing to me. We had two opportunities to move back, and did not. We were close, but ultimately the deciding factor against Cleburne was 1) "you're always 17 in your hometown"; and 2) I wasn't sure about the long term trajectory of the Cleburne schools. Cleburne can also be VERY cliquish, especially for outsiders. There are people who have lived there for 30 years, but are still considered "new" to Cleburne because they weren't born and raised in Cleburne.

If you are considering all of those towns, give Godley a hard look too. It is a large 3A, up from a small 2A (Thanks Barnett Shale). My information may be dated from the past 4/5 years, but they really invested in their schools, enacted new zoning requirements to stop trailer parks, and have really become quite the quaint small town with good school. Their technology department rivaled even the best 5As schools, and I think they won some state awards (maybe???). Their superintendent was top notch and put some great people in place. We were SO close to buying inside Godley ISD; the only thing that stopped us was my husband changing jobs to a company located in Mansfield. So, we moved to Mansfield. We love Mansfield and do not regret our decision, although my husband wishes we had a few acres and lived a little more remotely.

Full disclosure: my dad was the Technology Director at GISD for a while and taught at GISD for ~30 years. My mom taught at Cleburne High for ~30 years.
Buford Tannen
AG
Went to Crowley ISD 4-12 and graduated in 2001. It was a premier district, and has turned into a complete disaster, which is heartbreaking. I would not put my kids in it now......as far as the others, I've heard good things about Joshua and Godley as well. Burleson was a pretty popular area 20+ years ago as well but not sure how it has changed over the years.
Aggie1205
AG
Interesting feedback so far. How is driving from Godley to South Fort Worth? Understand it's not a long distance but sometimes smaller roads can be bad on commutes.
SuzyQ06
Where in S. FW? From Chisolm Trail Parkway, it's a breeze.

You can get from Cleburne to downtown Fort Worth area in 25 minutes.
mosdefn14
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Interesting feedback so far. How is driving from Godley to South Fort Worth? Understand it's not a long distance but sometimes smaller roads can be bad on commutes.
Add tolls into your calculus. It's like $8 or something each way from Cleburne to town, Godley is probably 2/3 of that. Doing it 2x/day in 2 cars you may be able to add $100k or more to your mortgage for the same monthly amount and be closer.

Don't plan on going from Godley to SW FW / Benbrook through 377 in a quick manner - tons of traffic. You can jog up to 1187 somewhat easily depending on where you're going, but 1187 doesn't drive like it did circa 2005.

There are some areas of 1187 and 2331 that are closer to Crowley/Benbrook but go to Godley schools. And some areas off 1902 that are closer to Crowley but catch Joshua schools.

For that matter, especially if you're looking for a subdivision, don't overlook Benbrook (Westpark elementary zone). It's a solid elementary-middle-high school pattern right now, and FWISD has "Schools of Choice" if your kid ends up needing something different.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Might as well look at Grandview. Good small schools. Just not as close to the creature comforts.
Old School Brother
My sister is an Aggie veterinarian in Joshua and just built a house in Godley. They love it there so far.
SuzyQ06
Grandview is a hidden gem that prefers to stay hidden. If we had thought about Grandview back before we moved to Mansfield, we probably would have gone to Grandview. REALLY good schools. We have friends there and they LOVE it.
SuzyQ06
That intersection in Cresson is AWFUL. And there is no way around it.
_lefraud_
AG
This should help

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/fort-worth/us-377-171.html
AgFB
AG
Three kids in Burleson schools. Really happy with what we have seen. Choice schools and lots of career-oriented schools as the kids get older. Esports and STEM schools. Not bad for a bunch of rednecks

The Old Town area is really growing and lots of new outdoor space and restaurants (HEIM!!!). Just wish there were more large lot neighborhoods in Burleson ISD.
nai06
AG
Burleson has an H-E-B so I has that going for it
LostAg
We love Burleson.. the downtown "Old Town" is being revived.. Heim BBQ is coming in.. schools are good.. They have STEM program and opening up a REALM high school the specializes in gaming and e-sports.. Joshua is stuck between Burleson and Cleburne and is basically one giant school zone in the morning and not all parts of Joshua have good internet yet (it's coming)..... Joshua is basically South Burleson and is where all the long time Burleson residents are moving to.. avoid Crowley...Stay on the Johnson County side of Burleson...
"Let's go to Taco Cabana and get us something to eat..."
GentrysMillTX10
AG
We are building in Godley now...Timber Creek to be exact. My wife is from Godley and her mom retired as elementary principal a few years ago. My wife is a teacher and is hoping to start with Godley this fall.

LOTS of growth recently. If you want a half acre, prices start around $340k at the moment. That's up about $25k since the first of the year!!
SuzyQ06
GentrysMillTX10 said:

We are building in Godley now...Timber Creek to be exact. My wife is from Godley and her mom retired as elementary principal a few years ago. My wife is a teacher and is hoping to start with Godley this fall.

LOTS of growth recently. If you want a half acre, prices start around $340k at the moment. That's up about $25k since the first of the year!!
Gentrys- Your wife VERY likely had my dad as a teacher at some point, maybe. When did she graduate?

While we love where we are, we do sometimes wonder "what if...."

Funny story: when we were looking at a house in Godley, we wanted to show my parents. So they hopped in the car with us and as we were driving out that way and getting closer, my dad started talking about the land he used to own in Godley, pointing out landmarks, saying "Yeah, and we would turn here...wow, we are getting close. And then this turn, wow...how ironic." And then as we pulled up to the house, he said, "This was our land...." He got real quiet, and almost whispered...."we sold this land........." and then he basically turned green, looking like he was going to throw up. There was a natural gas well on what used to be his land. He sold it in the mid/late '80s to pay for looming college tuition for my brothers. :/
GentrysMillTX10
AG
SuzyQ06 said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

Gentrys- Your wife VERY likely had my dad as a teacher at some point, maybe. When did she graduate?

While we love where we are, we do sometimes wonder "what if...."

Funny story: when we were looking at a house in Godley, we wanted to show my parents. So they hopped in the car with us and as we were driving out that way and getting closer, my dad started talking about the land he used to own in Godley, pointing out landmarks, saying "Yeah, and we would turn here...wow, we are getting close. And then this turn, wow...how ironic." And then as we pulled up to the house, he said, "This was our land...." He got real quiet, and almost whispered...."we sold this land........." and then he basically turned green, looking like he was going to throw up. There was a natural gas well on what used to be his land. He sold it in the mid/late '80s to pay for looming college tuition for my brothers. :/

My wife graduated from Godley in 2011. Her maiden name is Reynolds. They had 100 acres and livestock when she was growing up. Part of their 100 acres is now Wildcat Ridge subdivision...phase 1 anyway, it goes all the way through to 2331 now.
SuzyQ06
Hm....he may have transitioned out of the classroom by early 2000s and into full time administration by then. I'll ask.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
SuzyQ06 said:

Hm....he may have transitioned out of the classroom by early 2000s and into full time administration by then. I'll ask.

So your dad is named Jimmy? My mother in law, Melinda Reynolds, is sitting here telling me all about your family.
mosdefn14
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

SuzyQ06 said:

So your dad is named Jimmy? My mother in law, Melinda Reynolds, is sitting here telling me all about your family.
Another successful TexAgs hookup!
SuzyQ06
mosdefn14 said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

SuzyQ06 said:

Another successful TexAgs hookup!
LMAO!!!

He was fully out of the classroom by the time your wife went through GISD, but if she had older siblings, they may have had him.

We'll need to get lunch/dinner at Del Norte tacos sometime. I love that place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.