Metroplex
Sponsored by

Smith Thompson replaced the security unit today

3,841 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mbaag08
Cramp00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and I upgraded to the fancy app. Anybody else going that route? Still super cheap
GarryowenAg
AG
Mind if I ask who you left?
John Francis Donaghy
Thinking about it. Have Smith Thompson now, but just the basic unit. What all do you get with with the fancy unit besides the app? And what are you initial thoughts on the App? Worth the upgrade?
Cramp00
Dumb_Loggy said:

I didn't leave. Smith Thompson had to upgrade my old 3G receiver so I just went w the app as well. App seems fine. Can see which door is open or sensor is activated. Can set/disarm away from home.

www.smiththompson.com/upgrade-sign-up
YouBet
AG
Cramp00 said:

Dumb_Loggy said:

I didn't leave. Smith Thompson had to upgrade my old 3G receiver so I just went w the app as well. App seems fine. Can see which door is open or sensor is activated. Can set/disarm away from home.

www.smiththompson.com/upgrade-sign-up
Is this not the Alarm.com app? That's what I've had for almost 3 years using Smith Thompson.
Cramp00
Alula
Buford Tannen
AG
ST coming out to do my fancy app and touchpad next week
ftworthag02
AG
Previous owner had adt install a wired system many years ago w/ door sensors, glass breaks, and smoke alarm. We had ST take it over several years ago. I assume they will just switch out the main board and leave the door sensors & glass breaks? I prefer wired instead of the wireless components.
Cramp00
Sorry can't help you there. Our home had no prior system. Everything we have was installed by ST 10 years ago.
ftworthag02
AG
Thanks
txam92
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Previous owner had adt install a wired system many years ago w/ door sensors, glass breaks, and smoke alarm. We had ST take it over several years ago. I assume they will just switch out the main board and leave the door sensors & glass breaks? I prefer wired instead of the wireless components.
I can only give my experience. My home when it was built was wired (not wireless) by another company (didn't have glass breaks, but did have door and window sensors). When I signed up, they kept the existing wiring, and switched out the main panel (where you arm and disarm) and the associated board. The board is where they put the wireless component so they could monitor it.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Is ST still the best option for economical/basic home security? Had them when we lived in Houston and always liked them. Now building a new house and want to consider security system. I guess no one is really doing a wired system anymore?
DFWTLR
AG
We switched to Ring, it's only $100/year and that covers the doorbell as well. Can control everything from their app, you just need to do buy and install everything yourself.
YouBet
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Is ST still the best option for economical/basic home security? Had them when we lived in Houston and always liked them. Now building a new house and want to consider security system. I guess no one is really doing a wired system anymore?
$17/month. I can't imagine anyone else is going to beat that for basic security.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Agreed.

We've had simpli safe and it was a little cheaper. It was ok.
I don't really like the Ring doorbell so I'd have a hard time switching to them.
Carlo4
AG
The new home my wife and I moved in is hard wired for security by C&B electric (nothing setup). I've heard horrible things about them. They provide zero information on their website, which is a huge red flag for me.

I'm going to look into Smith Thompson unless someone else had a better recommendation.
mbaag08
AG
We upgraded to the ST app (Aurora) a couple of weeks ago. Very nice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.