Metroplex
Sponsored by

local dive in rockwall?

11 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MD1993
Just Tired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
looking for a good non-chain place to eat in Rockwall...
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Choices are limited...

Bin 303 for a nicer meal, Zanata for pizza, and Standard Service for casual. I'm not a huge fan of Oar House or Culpeppers. Bin would be my top pick

Edit to note I just saw "dive" in the title. I wouldn't call any of my recommendations dives
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Joe Willys for burgers.

AW 1880
AG
Boots Burger - if you don't mind buying a burger out of someone's kitchen window.
WhoHe
AG
Oscar Delta ... Texas home cooking with a TexMex twist ... the chicken fried steak with jalapeno gravy is pretty damn good
aezmvp
pepe the dog said:

Joe Willys for burgers.

Joe Willys is a staple.
aezmvp
WhoHe said:

Oscar Delta ... Texas home cooking with a TexMex twist ... the chicken fried steak with jalapeno gravy is pretty damn good
Pretty sure it's gone.
MD1993
AG
Luigi italian right next to Hobby Lobby.
Robert C. Christian
AG
WhoHe said:

Pour one out...
Just Tired
thanks for the recs. stromboli at liugis was good.
Enviroag02
AG
We went to Luigi's not too long ago and I had a non traditional pasta dish which was tasty, but my wife got the pasta trio and holy crap I have never tasted a marinara sauce like that. It was so strange and complex for such a simple dish. We will not be going back.
Enviroag02
AG
We loved Oscar Delta as well but it is indeed closed. There is a variant of it though in Forney. We love Zanata and Bin 303 for special occasions. Joe Willy's is like a mom and pop Fuddruckers. Not bad. Bankhead Brewing in Rowlett is also solid. Fatted Calf has an excellent breakfast and brunch. Smoke Monkey is decent for all you can eat catfish on Fridays and Saturdays. Enos is a new pizza place in Forney which is pretty good as well. Good breakfast diner there too.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Joe Willys for burgers
Arboledas for mexican (may be a chain, not sure)

Other places that are unique (or at least one of a limited number) that aren't really dives, but we enjoy - Bin 303 (fantastic place), Zanata, Chiloso, Bankhead (in Rowlett, same owner as Zanata, I believe) & Charlie's.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
MD1993 said:

Luigi italian right next to Hobby Lobby.
And Joe Willys
Texker
AG
I haven't been there but what about Z's Catfish?
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Z Catfish is legit.
AggieDave02
AG
Another vote for Joe Willys, Chiloso, and Luigi's.
Deats99
AG
What? No one posted Scoreboards?
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
aezmvp
Anyone have a read on Charlie's in old downtown? Haven't been there yet.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
aezmvp said:

Really like it - their burger and tacos are great IMO. Smallish inside, so we usually grab it to go and walk over to the breezeway next to Zanata and sit down and eat.

Give it a try.
Robert C. Christian
AG
aezmvp said:

Good burgers and tacos! If you go on a Friday or Saturday night, I wouldn't bring more than 4 people. Really small on the inside.
aezmvp
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

aezmvp said:

Really like it - their burger and tacos are great IMO. Smallish inside, so we usually grab it to go and walk over to the breezeway next to Zanata and sit down and eat.

Give it a try.
Thanks! Always on the look out for a good spot for something like this, especially since this is between the baseball fields and the house!
PuryearAg98
AG
Surprised to not see Pizza Ghetti come up here, related to a true dive restaurant. Nice owner, but some funny **** goes down in his bar...
Robert C. Christian
AG
Fireside Chicken & Tacos is also a good place that I haven't seen mentioned.
AW 1880
AG
I worked at Pizza Getti in high school (late 90s) and college breaks (early 00s). Different owner then, but funny stuff happened in the bar back then as well.
Deats99
AG
Sammee's is the shiznit for people watching on Friday afternoon.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Texker
AG
IFeelLikeLarryDavid said:

Z Catfish is legit.
Finally went for lunch today. Damn good!
Garrelli 5000
AG
I haven't made it there yet, but Fritzl's in Rowlett is supposed to be great german food.

http://fritzls.com/

Take the trash out staff.
MD1993
AG
I had it years ago, it was good. Small, but felt authentic.
Swede
AG
If you don't mind a 15 minute drive, check out Sweetwater Grill east on 276. Great food, bar, and a lot of good live music on a regular basis.
DuckDown2013
AG
I was just in the area last weekend and Zenata was fantastic! I am actually moving to the area in the beginning of September. Really looking forward to finally be getting back in Texas!
aezmvp
Adam Ag 98 said:

I haven't made it there yet, but Fritzl's in Rowlett is supposed to be great german food.

http://fritzls.com/

It's great the owner is a hoot and makes his own schnapps on the bar and sells real German beer by the boot.
dcbowers
AG
pepe the dog said:

Joe Willys for burgers.

Same Joe Willy's as the hamburger joint that used to be on Greenville Avenue and Park Lane in Dallas back in the day?
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
dcbowers said:

pepe the dog said:

Joe Willys for burgers.

Same Joe Willy's as the hamburger joint that used to be on Greenville Avenue and Park Lane in Dallas back in the day?

Yup
Just Tired
best texmex?

anything new in last year and a half?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.