Metroplex
Sponsored by

Custom Suit and Shirts

12,306 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MW03
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my suit back from Alton Lane. Also got two custom shirts. They did a great job.
ChiveOn
AG
EOE said:

D. Jones was started by an Aggie and I've heard god things. I've used Tom James for some shirts and blazers and have been happy.
Tom James still owes me a free custom shirt. I won one from a drawing from one of their consultants and he never made good on it.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Bobby is in town Sept 6-9, I haven't seen confirmation but he's usually at the Marriott Legacy. I can get you connected with him or you can message through facebook: Bobby Garia Facebook also bobbygaria AT gma!l.com. You set an appointment and go to the hotel room he's in and he'll measure you and have a ton of fabric choices for shirts suits etc.
East Dallas Ag
AG
See Above ^
Signel
AG
Funny.. I was considering suit supply, but Bobby's prices seem better.
William_C_G
AG
I've been happy with the quality of Tom James and D Jones. And Neiman Marcus has some very nice suits at reasonable prices for the quality.
MW03
AG
Any idea when Garcia is coming back in town?
Signel
AG
He told me around March. He is heading to England in Oct/Nov. And his last name is Garia.
MW03
AG
Autocorrect
Gmj003
AG
Thank you for passing along Bobby's info! Just got back 2-sport coats/slacks/shirts (from sept 7 visit) and I couldn't be happier. All looks great and fits even better.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
I received my package from Bobby yesterday. Unfortunately everything seems way to slim and tight. Not sure what to do at this point
Objective Aggie
AG
I had a custom suit made in Thailand once. It was nice at the time but was not as nice as I thought.

Most economical options I have found:
Start with either
(1) go to Last Call and buy a suit that came from Neimans. Not the straight to outlet crap. But something legit. Often times you can get a real Hicky Freeman for $450 that is normally $1800 (beware the straight to outlet HF's though as they are not the same) or an Ermengeldo Zeman for $500 and so on. Some amazing deals and well constructed suits but unpredictable inventory.
(2) get measured at suit supply. Know exactly what you want. Wait for their twice a year online sale. Buy a suit half price. I thought Suit Supply was a gimmick but they are actually very well made even though they are from China. In fact, these are about the only Chinese tailored items I would buy. They are thought to be a great value at full price, but if you are patient you can get one for half. That means $300-$500.

Next step:
Get you a real #%**ing tailor and spend money. I use Harry's in Dallas. I cannot recommend highly enough. He makes a good suit great. He can take an old suit and modernize it. I just had him slim the legs in several suit pants. Bottom line, a good tailor is 100x better than an average tailor.

There are a million made to measure suits out there now. I just have been hesitant. That is one route. But I haven't known anyone blown away by them. I actually have had really good results with my strategy above.

Lastly, always make sure your suits are at least half canvassed. Google it. Even the custom suits can be fused and those are ready a step down. Always ask.
Tex117
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

For a little less money I fly over to Hong Kong for a weekend and get mine from Sam's out there
I know this is an old thread, but honestly, this is an awesome option. Its also a ton of fun!

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
XpressAg09
AG
What kinda prices are we talking about from Bobby? He'll be in town later this month and I'd like to go see him, but am curious about prices.
Gmj003
AG
From Sept visit-
Suits from 420 to 1100
Shirts from 55 to 95
Blazersfrom 220 to 450
Slacks 90 to 130.
Tux from 550 to 1150.
Prices all depending on the material and styles. I will have good collection of samples for everything.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love wearing a great fitting suit, going to try to get
2-3 from Bobby this trip. Is FB messenger the best way to contact him?
XpressAg09
AG
Full disclosure, I searched "Bobby Garia" on TexAgs and didn't realize this is NOT the Houston board. Sorry for trespassing.

I've been emailing him at bobbygaria@gmail.com.

He's currently planning his trip to Houston the last week of February, but I'd imagine may swing through D/FW as well.
Hincemm
AG
XpressAg09 said:

He'll be in town later this month and I'd like to go see him, but am curious about prices.
do you know dates?
Hincemm
AG
Hincemm said:

XpressAg09 said:

He'll be in town later this month and I'd like to go see him, but am curious about prices.
do you know dates?
nvm...i emailed him. in dallas feb 18-20. location tbd.
MW03
AG
Going to see him today. Will report back.
MW03
AG
I realize now I neglected to review the process.

Back in February, I met Bobby Garia for my tailoring appointment at his hotel. There in the room, he had maybe 10 books laid out with various fabrics in varying price ranges. After getting measured, I flipped through and ended up selecting material for a suit as well as two pairs of pants. When it came to the selection, he handed me the moderately priced material binder. At first I was a little frustrated because I had heard rumors of the cheaper suits, and ultimately I had to ask to see them. After getting my hands on those books, I was no longer frustrated. It was pretty evident from the samples that the material was not one you'd select for a custom fit suit.

To his credit, Bobby was not an up-seller, other than asking me if I wanted to buy a shirt or two (which I declined). I never felt pushed or pressured to buy anything or upgrade anything, but I will say I went in there knowing I was going to buy. It would be a little awkward to go through the measuring process and material hunt one-on-one with him and not buy anything, so I wouldn't make an appointment if you're not really in the market.

As for options, Bobby was willing to do whatever you wanted. Pants could be fully lined, and you could select canvassing or fussing for the coats. You could pick accents for eyelets and buttons. I didn't ask about custom button placement, but I bet you could get him to cascade them if you wanted. You select the vent, the pockets, the lapel, and on the pants the fit and break, as well as any pleating if you want it.

After selecting my suit and pants material, I left. Bobby e-mailed me an invoice, and that was that. It was a good experience, very professional, and very accommodating.

Fast forward about two months to when the clothes arrived. Out of the box, the workmanship was pretty self-evident. I loved that the pants had a subtle rubberized inner strip inside the waistband to help keep your shirt tucked. The pants were also hemmed double stitched with kick tape, which was a very nice surprise. Basically going to last forever. I also really like the way they were cut. Not so tight as to choke my legs to death, but definitely a trimmed look that's also comfortable.

The suit was the real winner. It came out of the shipping box fitting perfectly, and is easily my best looking suit. The stitching on the shoulders and inside is excellent, and the pockets inside the coat are built in to the structure of the jacket, which I like. Really, it's an exceptional suit, and I love wearing it.

Anyway, I hope this helps. It's on par or slightly cheaper than what you'd pay at a nice department store for dress pants, except the quality is far superior. No, it's not the cheapest option out there for suits, but I think it's superior to Brooks Brothers, and certainly anything you would find at Jos A Bank or a place like that. It's a really good value for what you actually get in your closet.

He's back August 20-22 in Dallas, and I'm thinking I might go order more pants at least. I recommend checking him out if you're in the market.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.