Metroplex
Sponsored by

Retaining Wall work

1,071 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JDCAG (NOT Colin)
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted this in home owners, but since it involves trying to find companies local to Dallas, I thought I'd crosspost it here -

Long story short - we have a retaining wall and all the hell that comes with it.

We had a structural engineer come out and do a report, and then went looking for somebody to do the work based on his report. He had advised basically excavating behind the wall and putting in proper draining materials as well as a new french drain). We had 4 folks come out and take a look and all of them pretty much agreed the wall could not simply be patched as he had advised. Some of those folks didn't even want to try to bid because this is apparently a larger job than they wanted to take on (part of the wall is double stacked about 6 feet high). Unfortunately, it took a while to get some of these folks out, so it may be that the wall has deteriorated since the original report was done as well.

We have had one company that has been very professional, has come out a few times to look and I do think they know what it would take to fix the wall. That said, they're not sure you can easily patch the wall either. They've recommended a second structural report, but the guy they recommended wants $500 (about 2x what the previous one cost). Obviously red flags went off in my head since this is their recommendation, but the guy seems to be a legitimate structural engineer with an independent business and I don't think there is any sort of collusion here.

I'm at a loss as it seems like most folks we've had out agree the wall can't be patched as the original engineer suggests, but also tend to give me the line of "you don't want to know what it will cost to replace entirely", but I clearly have to figure out how to handle this. So far, most folks are suggesting somewhere between $20-30K for a complete rebuild (the wall is about 100 linear feet, with about 35% of that being a double stacked wall that goes from 5.5-6 feet high...the remainder is about 3-3.5 feet tall), while the one company has said that they would be willing to give us a better price if they could use the resulting wall for promotional materials.

I'm not sure how to proceed. We have a report, but can't find anyone that is willing to take on the job outlined in the report (and the engineer has not offered any help in identifying a trusted company, which isn't his job so I understand). We have found some folks willing to do the work, but they want another report done because they're not comfortable with the approach initially selected. We don't plan to live here forever, so I'm trying to figure how to avoid a small-medium sized car payment for a wall at a house we don't want to live in for more than another 3-5 years. So I feel like my options suck given the combination of price, suggested work and being able to find a reputable company to do the work.

Any advice is welcome.

In Dallas (Rockwall) if anyone has specific recs.

Southlake Ag
AG
Pm me
normaleagle05
AG
I'd look hard at whether or not I was able to push that whole project off onto the parties that built or approved the wall originally. That is an expensive wall system and likely a general public hazard if it fails. Is the wall in an easement to the city? Did the city approve its construction? How long ago was it built?

Lot of questions to ask and answer before finding a contractor and shelling out cash.

Also, if you do have to fund this I'd consider that a contractor offering a discount for using this thing as promotional materials may not already have such a job under their belt.

Good luck. This is why I'll never buy a residence with a retaining wall.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I can't PM since I don't have stars, but feel free to shoot me an e-mail at JDCAG.email@gmail.com

Thanks!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
normaleagle05 said:

I'd look hard at whether or not I was able to push that whole project off onto the parties that built or approved the wall originally. That is an expensive wall system and likely a general public hazard if it fails. Is the wall in an easement to the city? Did the city approve its construction? How long ago was it built?

Lot of questions to ask and answer before finding a contractor and shelling out cash.

Also, if you do have to fund this I'd consider that a contractor offering a discount for using this thing as promotional materials may not already have such a job under their belt.

Good luck. This is why I'll never buy a residence with a retaining wall.

It's on our portion of the property and it was built 20 years ago. I'm all for trying, but I doubt anyone will listen. Most folks that have checked it out have said the lower portion was probably built when the platted the neighborhood, and the upper wall was probably added when the home was built, so I doubt the lower wall is meant to hold as much as it is, but again - it was built 20 years ago and I would have no idea where to begin the process of trying to pass it off to somebody else.

And yes, I'll never own another home with a retaining wall.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I contacted several companies in Fort Worth and only one was willing to come out. I'm still working on getting my neighbor to go in half with me on the wall so I haven't used him yet. He has done another wall in my neighborhood and it looks very well constructed. I'll probably use this company because the other options I wanted (concrete poured in place) are double the cost and I wasn't able to get any other bids.

http://www.extremelandscapeconstruction.com/

I'll be interested to know what your solution is. There is a 5-6' retaining wall on the East side of my property. The one I'm replacing is on the West.
Yesterday
AG
Got any pictures of the wall so we know what you're dealing with?
Fenrir
I've used these guys on a commercial job in the past. They have some different options when it comes to retaining walls and I believe they provide their own design/engineering.
http://www.builderservicesco.com/
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Ive used those guys to on commercial projects. If I remember right the owners live in the rockwall area.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Got any pictures of the wall so we know what you're dealing with?

I crossposted this on the HI board and there are some pictures posted in that discussion -

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2868263
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Fenrir & IFeelLikeLarryDavid -

Thanks - I'll give them a call soon!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.