Metroplex
Sponsored by

Heading to North San Antonio - 281 or 35 ?

916 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CoppellAg93
CoppellAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I driving down to the Northern San Antonio area in a couple weeks - leaving on a Wednesday morning and returning on Saturday. Would anyone recommend driving down 281 as opposed to taking 35 and using the bypass around Austin ? It's been a while since I've driven on 281 (down to Marble Falls) so I don't remember the roads - 2/4 lanes, scenery, etc. I thought that since we're traveling on "off" days that 35 wouldn't be too bad.

Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated !
Goldie Wilson
35 is always a crapshoot, no matter the day or time. Definitely take the 130 bypass. Dallas to Waco is usually fine, but things often get hairy in the Temple area. Just keep an eye on Waze once you get through Waco and be prepared to hop on the service road for a few miles if 35 is jammed. Loop 363 to 95 just north of Temple is also a great workaround, and you shouldn't have any trouble connecting 95 to 130 once you get near Georgetown.

Edit to add: I've never taken 281, so I can't really comment on that one.
Post removed:
by user
WorthAg95
AG
281 is infinitely better. No stress. Stop at Down Unda Trading Post outside Lampasas and get a few meat pies.
drewser95
AG
jake2011 said:

281 is way better scenery and no traffic. Sometimes u get stuck behind a slow driver and can't pass them for awhile but it is worth it.
Agreed.

Dan 07 said:

Just keep an eye on Waze once you get through Waco and be prepared to hop on the service road for a few miles if 35 is jammed.
And definitely agree with this, if you haven't already downloaded this app. Your route might look crystal clear when you set out, but you'll want something that can alert you of backups that develop while you're on the road (and suggest viable alternatives).
Yesterday
AG
I avoid 35 at all costs during normal driving hours. 7am-7pm are no go's for me and never travel on t.u./ou weekend, any SXSW, ACL or the Formula One race. So basically don't drive down I-35.
CoppellAg93
AG
I do have Waze and will make sure to use it on the trip.

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated !

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.