Metroplex
Sponsored by

Amazon Fresh...Dallas grocery store killer for my family.

9,868 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by benMath08
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yesterday
AG
Interesting concept. May have to check this out. Is it weird that I don't want to try this in fear that the computers will take over everything in my life? I understand a human picks it out and delivers it, but still.
aggielostinETX
AG
My new routine is I sit down every other night or so and plan out dinners and then add any missing staples. Get it delivered next day or day later.

They also forgot to get my totes today when they delivered so I called and got $10 off the next order.
Yesterday
AG
Tried wal-mart pick up yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The rib made her list, ordered it and I picked it up around 9am. Took about 10 minutes total of waiting and then loading. If they don't have something you ordered they upgrade it to something they do have at no charge. For instance we got 10 yards of floss instead of 5 yards and instead of the generic shaving cream we got gilet. Fruit and veggies were all very fresh. And to top it off the Walmart helper was extremely nice. I'm not sure if it's a ploy to get this pick up thing started but it was nice.
MW13
AG
InternetFan02 said:

What about eggs?

What about bread?
The Pilot
AG
Walmart has both eggs and bread. Where are you getting your energy?
aggielostinETX
AG
MW13 said:

InternetFan02 said:

What about eggs?

What about bread?

Same as before. They put it in the top in of a tote on a protected shelf.
jagged
AG
Just put in our first order yesterday for delivery today. Have heard a lot of good things and I'm already a big Amazon user.

Agree with the others about milk and bread being a bit high, but most other things seem pretty competitive.

Glad to have an alternative to the general crappy experience at the Plano Rd/NW Hwy Kroger or fairly long drive to Trader Joe's.
Ol Jock 99
AG
If y'all want some good agility training, between the raskels, construction, and stockers, Kroger is a great obstacle course right now.
aggielostinETX
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

If y'all want some good agility training, between the raskels, construction, and stockers, Kroger is a great obstacle course right now.
I hate the grocery store.
Zemira
AG
Deats said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

I hate the grocery store.

Me too! I think Shipt and Amazon may save my sanity.
FincAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I was there too this morning, braised beef ribs in the crock pot for the inlaws tonight.
20ag07
I'd love to see how much they are losing per transaction on this. I know it's Amazon, and they just kind of let the money work itself out eventually, but there is very little noticeable margin. The amount of time it has to take to pack this stuff up, then load it up and drive it out, I just don't see it on the monthly fee. Obviously an experiment for them at this point, but really curious how much this is costing.
MW13
AG
The Pilot said:

Walmart has both eggs and bread. Where are you getting your energy?

Choose energy gives me fantastic choices in the energy area.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Kroger has chuck roasts for $2/lb. Butcher just cut me a glorious 5lber.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I just cooked roast last night from a beef chuck roast and about to eat leftovers for lunch. It damn sure wasn't 2/pd when I bought it from Kroger. I DID use the Kroger pick up and it worked great.
Aries
I have my first pick up scheduled for tomorrow morning at 8. I like that I can go in & edit the order once it was placed.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Kroger just won't let you edit if it's a same day pick up. I learned that one.
Aries
I can edit the order until 1:00am Saturday morning, so 7 hours before pick up.
permabull
AG
aggielostinETX
AG
hypeiv said:

I can't wait till they can deliver beer or maybe even one day liquor
Lash will delivery both today but it aint cheap.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Minibar delivers alcohol with a $30 minimum.
Ol Jock 99
AG
All new shopping carts at Kroger!

It's the little things.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Can you do this on Amazon? I think not.

https://instagr.am/p/BPxq3_xgcXv

Oh, and ground chuck is $7.50 for 3lb pack. We go through a lot of that. Cows worth.
Bird Poo
AG
If Costco had this I would be on board in a heartbeat.

I HATE dodging idiots in that place.
aggielostinETX
AG
kayakag said:

If Costco had this I would be on board in a heartbeat.

I HATE dodging idiots in that place.
will costco pick and pull?
I know Sam's used to.....
aglaohfour
AG
Instacart will deliver from costco. At least in Fort Worth they do.
FincAg
AG
Amazon Fresh just got Whole

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-buy-whole-foods-for-13-7-billion-1497618446

Quote:

Amazon . AMZN +2.63% com Inc. said it would buy Whole Foods Market Inc. for $13.7 billion as the giant internet retailer makes a deeper push into the grocery space.

Amazon will pay $42 a share for Whole Foods, valuing the grocer at a 27% premium to its closing price Thursday. The deal is expected to close in the second half of this year.

In recent years, Amazon has expanded its online grocery business, AmazonFresh, after testing it in its hometown Seattle for years. Earlier this year, the company said it would launch a new grocery-store pickup service.
FincAg
AG
And our favorite disorganized store is continuing to struggle.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kroger-shares-slide-as-grocer-is-battered-by-price-fight-1497531764

Quote:

Kroger said that sales at longstanding stores fell for the second straight quarter and that increasing competition will hurt earnings for the year. Kroger's shares took their steepest one-day drop in more than 17 years on the news. Shares of other big food retailers also fell.
JBLHAG03
AG
I've been back to Kroger once since started using AmazonFresh 6 months ago when this thread was started. Wife does go to store every once in a while for meat, but no more weekly trips to Kroger.
C XX I
FYI to those looking for Costco alternatives, Google's delivery/order service delivers from them. You can put in your membership information to get the order at no extra cost, or if you don't have a membership you can pay a 5 dollar access fee.
aggielostinETX
AG
JBLHAG03 said:

I've been back to Kroger once since started using AmazonFresh 6 months ago when this thread was started. Wife does go to store every once in a while for meat, but no more weekly trips to Kroger.
I hit sprouts for some veggies and meat but we're pretty consistent in our Amazon Fresh ordering.
benMath08
AG
JBLHAG03 said:

Same, we almost never go to the grocery store any more. I love it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.