Metroplex
Sponsored by

Amazon Fresh...Dallas grocery store killer for my family.

9,887 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by benMath08
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To stop the hijack of the other thread.

Just ordered $100 in groceries to be delivered between 4-6pm(unattended and attended at 6-8 and 8-10 were options as well). Will last us 2-4 days(there are 6 of us).

So long grocery store.
aglaohfour
AG
In the last few months I've tried Shipt, Tom Thumb delivery, Favor, and Prime Now for grocery delivery. Haven't tried Amazon Fresh or Instacart (Whole Foods) yet. I may never set foot in a grocery store again. It's a beautiful time to be alive.
aggielostinETX
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

In the last few months I've tried Shipt, Tom Thumb delivery, Favor, and Prime Now for grocery delivery. Haven't tried Amazon Fresh or Instacart (Whole Foods) yet. I may never set foot in a grocery store again. It's a beautiful time to be alive.
Would love if this brought back the butcher shop.

mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm almost positive Amazon gets the stuff from local grocery stores. So it will prevent you from having to go inside the store, but it won't kill the stores (or at least not the ones who the companies get the goods from).
Jimmy McNulty
AG
How much is the premium for these services?
aggielostinETX
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm almost positive Amazon gets the stuff from local grocery stores. So it will prevent you from having to go inside the store, but it won't kill the stores (or at least not the ones who the companies get the goods from).
That's the sprouts model with Prime now. I am pretty sure they are self-sourcing this stuff.

It's $15 a month.
Matsui
AG
We do business with Amazon. They buy from the same vendors that the grocery stores get their product from.
aggielostinETX
AG
Matsui said:

I am an Amazon vendor. They buy from the same vendors that the grocery stores get their product from.
What i assumed.
The Collective
AG
Deats said:

It's $15 a month.

Damn. No additional premium on a per product basis? If not, that's a steal.
aggielostinETX
AG
CJS4715 said:

Deats said:

It's $15 a month.

Damn. No additional premium on a per product basis? If not, that's a steal.
$40 minimum. It's worth every nickel.

I comparison shopped at first and it's very competitive.
The Collective
AG
Deats said:

$40 minimum. It's worth every nickel.

No doubt. My family of 4 seems to have a $100 minimum per grocery store trip anyway.
aggielostinETX
AG
And I just entertained kids for about 20 minutes...

InternetFan02
AG
What about eggs?
aggielostinETX
AG
get them by the dozen, always fresh and never cracked...
mavsfan4ever
AG
Deats said:

mavsfan4ever said:

That's the sprouts model with Prime now. I am pretty sure they are self-sourcing this stuff.

It's $15 a month.
Yea, I think we use the Prime/Sprouts model when we get groceries from Amazon. So what's the difference between the Amazon Prime grocery shopping and Amazon Fresh grocery shopping?

Is Fresh cheaper, or does it have more options than Prime or something?
aggielostinETX
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Deats said:

mavsfan4ever said:

It's $15 a month.
Yea, I think we use the Prime/Sprouts model when we get groceries from Amazon. So what's the difference between the Amazon Prime grocery shopping and Amazon Fresh grocery shopping?

Is Fresh cheaper, or does it have more options than Prime or something?

Yes, cheaper than Sprouts, same price as Prime now and more options.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Milk seems a bit high....and we go through a TON of milk.
Ol Jock 99
AG
And buying fruit by the piece instead of by the pound is the slippery slope to communism.
murphyag
AG
What is the delivery system like for this Amazon service? Is it a random person in their personal car? Or an Amazon employee? Ups/FedEx guy? Just curious.
aggielostinETX
AG
I have had random people in cars and Amazon trucks.
aglaohfour
AG
PrimeNow has been random people in their cars for me so far. I tried Amazon Fresh yesterday, and I didn't see the driver, but I came home to several insulated sturdy totes kept cold with dry ice - all my frozen stuff was still frozen. I was super impressed.
goose91
AG
Since the Amazon Fresh bags are reusable, how to you return them? Do you just set them out on your next order or do they stop by to pick them up at a later date/time?

Curious to know how that works.

Thanks,
Chris '91
aggielostinETX
AG
yep, set them out for next pick up.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Giving it a try. Delivery btw 8-10 tonight.
hph6203
AG
Next time add dish soap.
JBLHAG03
AG
Also just ordered from AF. Thanks for the suggestion.
Zemira
AG
I haven't tried Amazon, but shipt it pretty dang sweet!

I will have to try Amazon too.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Used Amazon Fresh on Sunday. Signed up for free trial because I decided it was too cold to leave the house to go get groceries.

Worked like a charm as they delivered all the way out to my house (south of Aledo on 1187, listed as Ft Worth)
aggielostinETX
AG
OJ was not impressed BUT don't forget to order your Dash Wand. Costs $10, but you get a $20 credit the first time you scan something.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Ok, my thoughts:

Process
-Pro: Ordering was super easy
-Pro: Delivery was on time
-Con: Now I have to do something with these 4 big totes until next time

Food I bought
-Interior store items (baby food, baking stuff, canned goods, etc) were flawless. Prices very comparable to Kroger with card.
-Bought some "other" dairy, sour cream and cheese. No issues at all.
-Wasn't impressed with produce. I didn't order a ton, but what I did, I wouldn't have picked up 80% of it if I were at the store. Overripe bananas, sad little apples.

Food I didn't buy
-Milk was HIGH; probably lack of a true store brand.
-Ditto with meat. Granted, I typically buy ground at the butcher counter in 5 pound packs.
-Chips...Frito Lay ALWAYS has something on sale. Especially around the holidays. But everything on Amazon was MSRP.
-Bread...we aren't brand loyal at all on bread. Whatever 100% Whole Wheat is on sale. Everything on Amazon was ~$4. Pass.

Overall...very interesting, but not flawless. Will try again during our trial. Not sure if it is worth $15 bucks a month to me though. And what do you do with these totes?
aggielostinETX
AG
The totes fold up inside of each other like paper bags.

And you can give them back if you do attended delivery. Just pull the bags out.
powerbelly
AG
I like amazon fresh for non-produce/meat items.

They are too hit or miss on those for my tastes.
Zemira
AG
I think this is where shipt shines.

You get a personal shopper who texts you when they start shopping and texts you with questions. You can also put notes to skip products if they aren't fresh or exactly what you want.

For example I ordered large lemons but they were out so I got a message asking if they could sub small. I said yes but can you get 4 instead of the two I ordered.

Sounds like Amazon is good for packaged and processed food but not so much for fresh which isn't surprising.
powerbelly
AG
I would still rather pick produce myself.

It really doesn't take that long if that is all I am after.
aggielostinETX
AG
All good until you get 9lbs of strawberries...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.