Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Dallas animated Christmas lights

17,721 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by txag2008
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great. I'm glad the family enjoys it.

Now the pressure is on me to continue doing it each yr to not break tradition....
txag2008
AG
Start early (not in Nov) and start small. Once you get the concept of how everything works you can scale from there.

There used to be active forums that were great to learn from, but I think they're all inactive now. I would suggest joining the following group. You can learn and ton and there are plenty of people to answer any questions. www.facebook.com/groups/577818958965269/

I don't use an Arduino, but do use a Pi that acts as the scheduler/interface to my controllers out in the yard.

Definitely let me know if you have any other questions. I haven't really kept up on any new info for years, but know enough to keep my display up and running.

My setup
  • Pixels: I have bought all of mine from diyledxpress.com or though RayWu (vendor on alixpress)
  • Power Supplies: I use a 700w atx power supply (the same kind a desktop computer would use) for about half my show. The other half is powered from 350w meanwell controllers
  • Props: check out https://boscoyostudio.com/
  • Controllers: I'm a bit out of the loop on this as I have been using the same controllers for the past 5ish years. I run half of my show from a Falcon controller and would definitely recommended these controllers (https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php). The rest of the show is run off some oldschool smartstring controllers.
  • Programming: when I used to do a non-pixel show I used the original Vixen. When I started doing pixels I used Vixen 3 on a handful of my songs. The rest are done with xLights. If I were starting today, I would definitely go the xLights route.

Smart String 'brain' and individual controllers

Falcon controller & power supplies
Bottlerocket
AG
Thanks!! We live just south of you. We need to come see this
txag2008
AG
Do it. If you let me know when you're swinging by I'd be happy to show you some of the behind the scenes.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Stopping by was a yearly tradition for us. Now that we've moved from Richardson to Flower Mound I'm hoping we can make a special trip
BIMS O1
AG
Went tonight. So great! It looks like you programmed more color into the display this year? Did you change out the lights, or am I just making this up? Thanks for doing it again this year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txag2008
AG
If you're comparing it to last year its all exactly the same (songs/lights). Got lazy and didn't add anything.

Starting last year I did add 2 new songs that do have a bit more color in the programming, but still the same lights.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
Drove by with the family after church tonight. Great work! Kids loved all the songs synced with the lights, and were surprised by the War Hymn. Candy canes for donations were a nice touch too! Thanks for doing this!
txag2008
AG
Glad y'all enjoyed

(after church….All Saints??)
PetroleumAg
AG
Came by tonight and it was spectacular! Pulled up and the War Hymn started! Happy New Year!
txag2008
AG
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed.

HNY
medwriter
txag2008 said:

I got my Christmas lights up and running this weekend and got a video recorded last night.

If you're in the North Dallas area come by and check it out. There are 6-7 different songs that I have playing and hope to have the War Hymn done sometime soon.
Thank you so much for this! I know I'm late to the party, but I really love the effort that people like you put into things to make other people feel good. It really is such a nice thing for you to do.

Typical Texan. You're all some of the greatest folks on the planet.
medwriter
Van Buren Boy said:

Stopping by was a yearly tradition for us. Now that we've moved from Richardson to Flower Mound I'm hoping we can make a special trip
I love Texas so much because of things just like this. I lived in Hurst for 17 years and it was the best time of my life. Please, don't ever stop being "Texan." I really love you folks and miss Texas dearly.
txag2008
AG
Lights go live tonight. Come on by.
nateaggie2000
AG
Yearly tradition to drive by your house.
txag2008
AG
It's that time of the year again. Lights went live this week.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Love this tradition!!!

Cody

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
txag2008
AG
Especially on a house you've sold several times!
sh_ag87
I live a few blocks North of you and will come check them out this weekend!
YankeeAg05
We came by last night and saw the show. Thanks for putting that on as it's a fun experience every year!
txag2008
AG
I'm guessing we have some Rangers fans around here??

DeLaHonta
AG
We came by last night and loved it. Our kids were fans of the candy canes your kids brought out to the cars, too.
MattAg06
AG
Came by this evening after dinner with the fam, we really enjoyed the added Rangers flair!
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
txag2008 said:

Especially on a house you've sold several times!
In my mind, I take about 10% credit for the light show. LOL.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
txag2008
AG
Fine by me.
txag2008
AG
Haha good deal. They enjoy doing that.
McNasty
AG
Watching right now. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
txag2008
AG
Nice, hope y'all enjoyed. Merry Christmas
bco2003
AG
Great show! I've followed it since your Nazareth days. I finally broke down and purchased a Kulp and am getting setup for a show next year.

Question on your tree. Do you have a separate pole for your megatree, or do you have a ring topper on your real tree someway?
txag2008
AG
Nice!

I had a half-ring fabbed that I bolt to the tree. Works great and doesn't budge at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.