Metroplex
Sponsored by

Where to buy post oak wood for smoking in DFW?

35,702 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agcrock2005
beagle2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I typically use Hickory or Mesquite wood chunks for smoking on my BGE. I want to smoke my next brisket using Aaron Franklin's method, and would like to use Post Oak this time. Many central Texas purists swear it's the only way to go. I usually buy my wood chunks from Wal-Mart or Tom Thumb, and have never seen post oak offered...any clue where I can find any, preferably north of Dallas (I'm in Frisco)? I've done a few online searches, but I haven't been able to find any vendors in the area.
Ag CPA
AG
Maybe try Hirsch's Meats in Plano. I know that places like BBQ Galore sell oak but don't know what kinds.
HarleySpoon
AG
You can find a number of places selling post oak firewood on the north side of Aubrey (about 20 minutes from Frisco). Aubrey is in the middle of the East Cross Timbers and 90% of the timber is post oak.

Heck, here's a craigslist ad to go pick up all you want for free in Aubrey: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/zip/4485831996.html

Seriously though, there are about four road side places with tons of post oak firewood on the five mile stretch of Hwy 377 north of Hwy 380. Or if you want, you can come cut your own at my place.

Candiru
AG
I have a bag of post oak chunks from The Firehouse over here in Allen.
Candiru
AG
DDP

[This message has been edited by Candiru (edited 6/25/2014 11:08p).]
Matt Schwab
Randy's Firewood in Frisco
Lindsey's Tree Service in Dallas off Northwest Hwy
Personal Touch Tree Service in Dallas on Garland Rd.
beagle2009
AG
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
The Collective
AG
I cut post oak exclusively for firewood, but I didn’t know people used it for smoking. Let me know how it tastes… have a ton of it on our property.
army01
AG
Post Oak is pretty much all they use in Austin/Hill Country -- it gives off a less intense smoke than other woods.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I cut post oak exclusively for firewood, but I didn’t know people used it for smoking. Let me know how it tastes… have a ton of it on our property.

You don't BBQ much huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA
victory
AG
Always get mine off Craigslist
The Collective
AG
I do not. I just eat it and like it if its good.
Ag CPA
AG
quote:
Post Oak is pretty much all they use in Austin/Hill Country -- it gives off a less intense smoke than other woods.

Growing up down there most of the well-known joints (Coopers, Saltlick, Kruez, etc.) used what was available to an extent, which was usually a blend of live oak and post oak with some mesquite thrown in. I know that Franklin's and Mueller's (and others) only use post oak but I wonder if it really matters as long as your are using certain types of white oak as your primary wood.
Philip J Fry
AG
Have you tried Academy?
army01
AG
quote:
Growing up down there most of the well-known joints (Coopers, Saltlick, Kruez, etc.) used what was available to an extent, which was usually a blend of live oak and post oak with some mesquite thrown in. I know that Franklin's and Mueller's (and others) only use post oak but I wonder if it really matters as long as your are using certain types of white oak as your primary wood.

My understanding is that Kruez is one that uses only post oak...but I tend to agree with you on using a white oak as the primary fuel. I try to do that with my fires, mixing in the occasional pecan, peach or apple -- depending on what I am cooking.
beagle2009
AG
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I wanted to share the location in Frisco I found less than 5 min away from my house that has the Western BBQ brand wood chunks and chips in Oak, Pecan, Maple, Cherry, Apple, Mesquite & Hickory.

Flames Fireplaces and Gas Grills
https://www.flamesoftexas.com/home.html

This is more of a mom & pop shop, but still has a decent assortment of grilling accessories. Definitely better than your average Wal-Mart or Tom Thumb.

[This message has been edited by beagle2009 (edited 7/3/2014 1:55p).]
Fitch
AG
Beagle, glad you found a place. I just thought I'd share with the thread that Student Bonfire also sells cut and split wood for smoking/fires and will deliver I think. All proceeds to go help keep the tradition burning for new generations of Aggies.

They've got the world of post oak, and sell a good amount of hickory.

www.studentbonfire.com
dviscarde
In Cleburne David 979-255-4264 lots of post oak..
agcrock2005
AG
BBQ snob here and I only use post oak. I have been buying from Woodchuck Russ for over a year now. I have a large offset and go though quite a bit if wood and his postoak is very good. Strongly recommend. He's cheaper than any other legitimate BBQ wood folks as well. He's got a yard in hurst and one in euless. Google woodchuck Russ wood and it will pop up.
culdeus
AG
How much a partial cord of this stuff? I'd rather just swap to post for inside and outside wood. If I need smaller chunks I can just split it with a hatchet or something later.
agcrock2005
AG
culdeus said:

How much a partial cord of this stuff? I'd rather just swap to post for inside and outside wood. If I need smaller chunks I can just split it with a hatchet or something later.
$45 for 1/8 cord. Fills up one row across my F-150 (to the top) and lasts quite a long time. Probably 40-50 large logs. Gets cheaper as you go up in amount, but my wood holder won't hold a 1/4.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.