Austin
Sponsored by

Best Austin Breweries

2,489 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rolling in hard and fast for 1 night from Houston tomorrow.
Have a friend in from out of town and the destination is Tiki Tatsyu-Ya. This will be my 4th trip. Prior we're going to ABGB which is by far my favorite brewery.

Saturday we will have time for 2 around lunch, heading east around 2pm.

Goal is to hit Austin Shaker for a stop for rum/bourbon, Zilker Brewing is 1mi away. Else it's St Elmo as the 2nd stop.

We *might* have time for Live Oak on the way in, if for nothing more a beer and pickup to go.

What am I missing? My preferred beers are Lagers/Pilsners and WCIPA.

It's a short trip with some tight timelines. I do not like JK, so don't bother mentioning them, too far and too esoteric, I don't care for sours/wilds. I've been to Meanwhile before, thought it was pretty good.

Might stop at Pinthouse for lunch, I'm a sucker for pizzarolls. But then we're really running out of time.
stamper
AG
Lazarus and oddwood are worth checking out and in your general area.
jah003
S
Hold Out is your best option if you are looking for Lagers/Pilsners. Also the best chicken sandwich in Austin.

Others that are worth a stop:
Austin Beerworks
Oddwood
Pinthouse
Zilker
Redhorn
Central Machine Works
Layne Staley
AG
If you like IPA

The Bee Love Em Some Pine Sol

IPA Hell
BurnetAggie99
Definitely hit Liveoak even if it's for a quick beer or 2.
MouthBQ98
AG
Product wise or hang out at their bar wise?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Having a few pints at the bar.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Tiki Tatsyu-Ya

I went to this place with neighbors & had no idea what I was getting into. I was both over and underwhelmed at the same time.

Live Oak brewery is nice. Meanwhile Brewery was pretty happening the only time I was there. Worth a look at online to see if you'd like it.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Oh sweet baby Jesus this traffic
AlaskanAg99
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Tiki Tatsyu-Ya

I went to this place with neighbors & had no idea what I was getting into. I was both over and underwhelmed at the same time.

Live Oak brewery is nice. Meanwhile Brewery was pretty happening the only time I was there. Worth a look at online to see if you'd like it.

Not sure how you were underwhelmed. Although on my 4th trip I discovered you can order off menu, that opened up a lot of options!
Apache
AG
Quote:

Not sure how you were underwhelmed.

Didn't particularly like the style of food, and really didn't like the amount of food we got for the price.
I bleed maroon
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Have a friend in from out of town and the destination is Tiki Tatsyu-Ya. This will be my 4th trip. Prior we're going to ABGB which is by far my favorite brewery.

Goal is to hit Austin Shaker for a stop for rum/bourbon, Zilker Brewing is 1mi away. Else it's St Elmo as the 2nd stop.

We *might* have time for Live Oak on the way in, if for nothing more a beer and pickup to go.

It's a short trip with some tight timelines. I do not like JK, so don't bother mentioning them, too far and too esoteric, I don't care for sours/wilds. I've been to Meanwhile before, thought it was pretty good.

Might stop at Pinthouse for lunch, I'm a sucker for pizzarolls. But then we're really running out of time.
I realize I'm a bit late to this, but I have visited most Austin breweries, and here are some thoughts:

- ABGB is a great setup and location, and their pizza is good. Beer is good, but there are better alternatives.

- Live Oak is a must visit, both for the setting under the oaks on a nice day (bring your frisbees (ahem, discs) for their golf course, if you're into that. They have the best Hefeweisen on earth, and their other beers are fine.

- Celis brewery is the best small taproom setting (feels quite upscale), and they have very good witbier and darks.

- A very good all around brewery is Austin Beer Works. Good variety, nice roomy taproom, and is near several other great breweries (HopSquad, Celis, Oskar Blues (great live music on weekends), and Circle Brewing).

- Jester King is worth the drive if you like high-end farmhouse style micro-brews. It has a lot of land, and therefore more space than most, and have some sort of live music pretty often.

- For your West Coast IPA needs, you can't really top Pinthouse's Electric Jellyfish. It's outstanding, and I don't usually like IPAs. Good variety of others, as well.

I'm still sad about Adelbert's closing down. It wasn't fancy, but their beer (especially their Belgian Tripel) was outstanding!

About the only brewery I haven't been able to visit, due to their extremely limited hours, is 512 Brewing. I have consumed enough of their Pecan Porter to earn some type of merit badge, but haven't watched it being made, yet. Has anyone been there and have some thoughts?
stamper
AG
I bleed maroon said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I realize I'm a bit late to this, but I have visited most Austin breweries, and here are some thoughts:

- ABGB is a great setup and location, and their pizza is good. Beer is good, but there are better alternatives.

- Live Oak is a must visit, both for the setting under the oaks on a nice day (bring your frisbees (ahem, discs) for their golf course, if you're into that. They have the best Hefeweisen on earth, and their other beers are fine.

- Celis brewery is the best small taproom setting (feels quite upscale), and they have very good witbier and darks.

- A very good all around brewery is Austin Beer Works. Good variety, nice roomy taproom, and is near several other great breweries (HopSquad, Celis, Oskar Blues (great live music on weekends), and Circle Brewing).

- Jester King is worth the drive if you like high-end farmhouse style micro-brews. It has a lot of land, and therefore more space than most, and have some sort of live music pretty often.

- For your West Coast IPA needs, you can't really top Pinthouse's Electric Jellyfish. It's outstanding, and I don't usually like IPAs. Good variety of others, as well.

I'm still sad about Adelbert's closing down. It wasn't fancy, but their beer (especially their Belgian Tripel) was outstanding!

About the only brewery I haven't been able to visit, due to their extremely limited hours, is 512 Brewing. I have consumed enough of their Pecan Porter to earn some type of merit badge, but haven't watched it being made, yet. Has anyone been there and have some thoughts?

Oscar blues and Circle are both closed.

I bleed maroon
AG
stamper said:

I bleed maroon said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Wow! They're dropping like flies! Looks like Circle went paws up in September, and Oskar Blues just 5 days ago, without warning.

Bummer.
chet98
AG
I bleed maroon said:

stamper said:

I bleed maroon said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Wow! They're dropping like flies! Looks like Circle went paws up in September, and Oskar Blues just 5 days ago, without warning.

Bummer.

Count me in the sad Adelbert's closed crowd. Unfortunately I had only just discovered them (yes, late to the game) but was really enjoying their beers and parking at their brewery for a couple of pints before the FC games. Real shame.

Didn't Thirsty Planet also just go out of business too?
MouthBQ98
AG
Circle I think might have been relocating to manor/elgin area. They had a couple of really good IPA's I liked.
jah003
S
There won't be any breweries left in that area soon. City of Austin wants to use it for condos and such and all the breweries are getting priced out.

Right now you're down to Hopsquad, Celis, and ABW. I bet ABW closes that location soon and focuses on their new brewery. Hopsquad may survive because they are the official pregame spot for Austin FC games. I literally have no idea how Celis is still around… they won't last much longer.
chet98
AG
Would also hate to see Celis go. Love the OG Celis White and their backyard area is pretty cool. Taco truck parked there is legit too.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Was going to say circle and Oskar both closed but y'all got there and mentioned it first. One other thing..Electric Jellyfish isn't a West coast IPA.

What's the best readily available, year round west coast IPA from the area? I'm not sure I even know of an answer that stands out. At least nothing ringing any bells. FWIW I like ABW but wasn't a big Fire Eagle fan when local. Much preferred some of their other offerings.
MouthBQ98
AG
Circle picked up and moved to downtown Elgin.
jah003
S
MouthBQ98 said:

Circle picked up and moved to downtown Elgin.
Uhh no. They are both closed. Circle is no more.
AggieOO
jah003 said:

There won't be any breweries left in that area soon. City of Austin wants to use it for condos and such and all the breweries are getting priced out.

Right now you're down to Hopsquad, Celis, and ABW. I bet ABW closes that location soon and focuses on their new brewery. Hopsquad may survive because they are the official pregame spot for Austin FC games. I literally have no idea how Celis is still around… they won't last much longer.
i like the new ABW location, but they are going to have to do something about parking if they want to have even half the crowds they get at the original location. That lot fills up even when its not "busy." And its not like you can park on the street out there.
MouthBQ98
AG
Bummer.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
It's a damn shame adelberts closed. They survived covid by hanging on with their finger nails but couldn't survive the city.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.