Austin
Sponsored by

Round Rock. What to do?

5,986 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieOO
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honestly, my house is probably the best spot in town
SteveBott
AG
I'll be over after we thaw out.
MarathonAg12
I'm keeping my self warm and sanity intact between the kids home from school and ice storm
wadd96
AG
We got the hell out of town this morning. However we were two hours late departing ABIA and missed our connection to Key West. So now we have to fly into Miami and make the long drive.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
MarathonAg12
wadd96 said:

We got the hell out of town this morning. However we were two hours late departing ABIA and missed our connection to Key West. So now we have to fly into Miami and make the long drive.
Ted Cruz? That you?
Wahoo82
AG
wadd96 said:

For the love of all that is holy, do not ever recommend salt lick for barbecue in the Round Rock area. There are literally 10 places I can aim off the top of my head that are better barbecue any day of the week and twice on Saturdays...
True that. We live in Austin. When my first daughter was going off to TAMU I took the family to Salt Lick in Driftwood. I told them it was not good, but when she went to College Station everyone not from Austin would ask about Salt Lick and she needed to be informed. Waited an hour for a table. When the food came she said Dad this it terrible BBQ.
docb
AG
Y'all are barbecue snobs. Salt Lick tastes just fine to me.
PeekingDuck
AG
Yeah, I don't think I'd call Salt Lick terrible by any means. That's ridiculous.
SteveBott
AG
The original SL was all about the experience. BYOB on the Loerch with live music. The wait was part of that. Their food was OK, chicken and cobbler pretty good. Never been to the RR location

Edit: and yes Wadd is Q Head
wadd96
AG
You are damn right I am. I've cooked with some of the best in the barbecue business, I have a right to be a snob. Not Daniel Vaughn level of snob, but I know that the salt lick sucks in conveyors and so many restaurants in the Austin Pflugerville Round Rock area.
docb
AG
Ok?
BQ78
AG
Just going to say, good barbecue requires no sauce.

If you have a less than optimum product and offer sauce, you make it a tomato based sauce, not mustard... Just saying.
MarathonAg12
wadd96 said:

You are damn right I am. I've cooked with some of the best in the barbecue business, I have a right to be a snob. Not Daniel Vaughn level of snob, but I know that the salt lick sucks in conveyors and so many restaurants in the Austin Pflugerville Round Rock area.

Brotherton's BBQ is superb.

He runs the BBQ camps in Aggieland
wadd96
BQ78
AG
Cleanup broken limbs
docb
AG
BQ78 said:

Cleanup broken limbs
No doubt. Looks like a hurricane went through here.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Yeah we could make a fort out of the broken limbs. If you are looking for things to do there is Bluebonnet brewery I like their beer, open Thursday through Saturday , Pinthouse pizza has a Round Rock Location now, they have good IPA's and pizza. The Express should be playing baseball in a month or two so there is that. You can see the famous rock that gave us our name and check out downtown where Sam Bass and gang got into a gun fight. You can also go see where Sam Bass is burried. In terms of food Whiskey Cake is decent but a bit expensive, Taste of Ethiopia in Pflugerville is phenomenal and would highly recommend.
Aggieangler93
AG
Last time I was in Brothertons, he had the ribeye and eggs on special and it was muy bueno. I did get some jalapeno sausage too, for kicks. Never had anything sub-par there.

Burnet...I need to check these new places you are talking about in RR near my hood. I like to try all BBQ.

That said, I will not be back to whichever Blacks is now on highway 183 in Lockhart. That brisket was so soggy it was like it came out of a crock pot. Couldn't hold it with two forks to get it to my mouth. And if you have ever seen me, you know I don't miss my mouth much. And while I usually could care less about sides, the cream corn tasted like it had cinnamon or something in it. Good God man....this is Texas....WTF is wrong with people? It looks fancy though....so he's gonna stack em in.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
Propane & Accessories said:

Yeah we could make a fort out of the broken limbs. If you are looking for things to do there is Bluebonnet brewery I like their beer, open Thursday through Saturday , Pinthouse pizza has a Round Rock Location now, they have good IPA's and pizza. The Express should be playing baseball in a month or two so there is that. You can see the famous rock that gave us our name and check out downtown where Sam Bass and gang got into a gun fight. You can also go see where Sam Bass is burried. In terms of food Whiskey Cake is decent but a bit expensive, Taste of Ethiopia in Pflugerville is phenomenal and would highly recommend.
Also note, the Round Rock used to be big enough that they would have square dances on it. And well, I guess I know that because there is a street down near the donut shop that is named after one of my ancestors from when he used to have a general store here.
wadd96
AG
Blacks? Yes, don't go back. TERRY BLACKS... Go!!!!
Aggieangler93
AG
Rolling this thread again today makes me think Brothertons is going to be on my itinerary again in the next 3 or 4 days.
AggieOO
PeekingDuck said:

Yeah, I don't think I'd call Salt Lick terrible by any means. That's ridiculous.
not ridiculous. Salt Lick is terrible. Maybe it is good to someone who lives in new hampshire and doesn't know bbq, but the only bbq i can think of that i've had that's worse is dickey's.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.