Austin
Sponsored by

Tow Roads for foreigners in a rental question

1,397 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tripperwill
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have some friends from Germany that were driving around Texas the last 2 weeks. They mentioned they were driving in their rental car near Austin, possibly on 35, and it said it was a tow road but they couldn't figure out how to pay.

They're concerned fines/fees will be sent to the rental company. Any thoughts on how to pay that?
Potcake
AG
Check the real responses on GB
cruiserag2020
Tow?
Potcake
AG
He's from Louisiana.
Rusty GCS
AG
Ha. Ya got me. I was talking to the Germans and posting at the same time. My accent got the best of me.

Don't laugh too much we have a degree from the same university
SteveBott
AG
Most likely the bill will be sent to the rental company. Then their credit card gets billed. I'd call the rental company and see what the options are now.
SteveBott
AG
Oh check to see if the car has a toll tag. If so it can be activated
Complete Idiot
I-35 seems to be the IN TOW road as beat up car convoys head to Mexico and central america.

CapCity12thMan
AG
the renter will eventually get billed
Matsui
AG
You get hit with the tolls fees plus a per day toll fee from
The rental company.
Harkrider 93
AG
Matsui said:

You get hit with the tolls fees plus a per day toll fee from
The rental company.
have them try to get in front of this - the rental company charges a lot for this.

It has been a while, but the rental company said they would credit me their charge, but I had to wait until they were charged the tow. I think it was about 5-6 weeks later. I had to pay the original tow, not the $25 charge the rental company wanted to charge. Pretty sure it was $25 each day you hit a tow.

Had to keep using tow.
As the waves roll, the eagle will fly to the setting sun.
Martin Cash
AG
They need to get a toe tag.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
tripperwill
AG
It's not always a fine and the rental companies don't all charge a lot for this anymore. With tolls being more common and many of them having the pay by mail option that only charges minimally more, the overcharges and penalties from the rental companies aren't as common as they used to be.
Recently in Miami, Houston and Boise with a rental car we only got charged the actual charge about 2-4 weeks later.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.