Austin
Sponsored by

RRISD and the end of free lunch/breakfast

2,184 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Trenchant
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was talking to a buddy and he made it seem like that the vote by the school board was very politically motivated. Two people did it out of spite because of another vote was declined or passed. Apparently there was a federal grant or funding that would enable the schools to keep receiving free lunch but that got shot down.

Why? Especially in this economy. Yes I know breakfast is $1.50 and lunch is $2.80 (our oldest is going in to first grade). I know it was a pandemic protocol but if the feds are footing the bill then why not accept.

I have no idea how the politics work or functionality of the ISD works, so I would appreciate any education on the matter or WHY certain things happen the way they do.

Thanks Ags.
MarathonAg12
Sorry, didn't mean for a thumbs up
javajaws
AG
I have no idea about this particular situation, but often federal money comes with restrictions. Maybe this money had as a condition something they weren't amenable to?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
jah003
S
Seems odd. A lot of kids depend on breakfast and lunch at school. Most parents can apply for free and reduced lunch but a lot just flat out won't do it… not sure if it's a pride or laziness thing. It's not fair to punish the kids though.

Sort of related… but students are required to take everything included in the breakfast or lunch even if they don't want it. For example breakfast may be a cinnamon roll, milk and an apple. The kid only wants the cinnamon roll so the rest goes in the trash. It's just a ridiculous waste of food/money.
MarathonAg12
Thanks for the discussion. Yeah. Sucks that their is a cultural gap/ego/pride attachment. I'm in the Army so I have no shame accepting free things. Uncle Sam give and he takes
SteveBott
AG
I have my doubts that parents who qualify won't register their kids. Sure a few here and there but I'm not sure it's wide spread

Basically we are going back to preCovid rules. The federal money for free to all is running out. Seems the board won't or can't make that up I. The budget
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
The Biden administration has tied F&RLP funds to their transgender and LGBT standards. I didnt watch the board meeting so Im not sure if that's the discussion, but it will be an issue for a lot of Texas districts.

In May, the Biden administration redefined the meaning of "sex" in Title IX to include sexual orientation and gender identity, forcing schools to permit transgender students to use male or female bathrooms and play sports with either sex in order to receive National School Lunch Program funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. More than half of state attorneys general rejected the memorandum, with Florida attorney general Ashley Moody saying the Biden administration was "using hungry children to advance a political agenda,"
BTHOB-98
This whole district is a mess. From top to bottom.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Hopefully there will be some decent candidates to vote for in November for the board.
MarathonAg12
I'd run, but I'd piss too many people off with my straight forward and blunt statements.
cityagboy
AG
AISD just announced that 76 of the lower income schools will keep free lunch for everyone.

I personally think lunch should be free at all public schools nationwide.
BTHOB-98
liberal not democrat said:

AISD just announced that 76 of the lower income schools will keep free lunch for everyone.

Free? It's not free. We pay for it.
Furlock Bones
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

We sent $50B to Ukraine on a whim. I'd rather the government spent $300MM to feed school age kids.
Martin Cash
AG

I long for the days when parents were responsible for feeding their children, like they did when we grew up.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
MarathonAg12
Martin Cash said:

I long for the days when parents were responsible for feeding their children, like they did when we grew up.
Ha.

My dad attended Memorial in San Antonio. Kids were shocked when he had to pay full price for lunch....."Rich kid" lol
BTHOB-98
Furlock Bones said:

BTHOB-98 said:

We sent $50B to Ukraine on a whim. I'd rather the government spent $300MM to feed school age kids.

We shouldn't have done that either. Where is that money now? Someone's pocket.
MarathonAg12
From my time in the army, you should see some of the **** heads we give our tax money too
AgGrad99
AG
Personally, I hate to see kids pay for the mistakes of adults, and don't like any kid going hungry.

But practically, it shouldn't be the job of the schools, and tax payers to pay for your kid to eat. I think it also teaches kids the wrong message from an early age.

My family wouldn't qualify, but I can't afford for multiple kids to eat at school everyday (or maybe I can, but it's not practical). We pack our lunch most days, and will this year.

Saying 'well, we spent a crap ton on this other nonsensical thing, so we should be ok spending it on another' isn't really a sound argument.

But again, I'm torn. With all the practical reasons I'm against it, my heart goes out to the kids.
cityagboy
AG
You are right kids shouldn't pay for adults mistakes, especially when it comes to basic human needs.

No kid should go hungry in the wealthiest and best country in the world.
AgGrad99
AG

You are right kids shouldn't pay for adults mistakes, especially when it comes to basic human needs.

Like i said, I agree with that. That is one important aspect of the conversation. But it's also ok to recognize the other issues at play.

It's an odd conundrum that my tax dollars would go to pay for other people's kids, yet even my own kids dont get this benefit.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
You cant be benevolent with other people's money. You can only take it by threat of violence.
cityagboy
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Like i said, I agree with that. That is one important aspect of the conversation. But it's also ok to recognize the other issues at play.

It's an odd conundrum that my tax dollars would go to pay for other people's kids, yet even my own kids dont get this benefit.

I guess I'm ok with taxes being used on services I don't use. There are others I do use or maybe will use in the future.
zooguy96
Funny how most of the kids on free/reduced lunch have the latest Iphone, shoes, etc. At least at our school.

Priorities.

We lived in a tent the summer before my 1st grade year, and we still had food.. albeit not very good food, but we still had food.

Many parents are too lazy to fill out forms, be responsible, etc. because of crap like this. We enable them to be lazy... and the entitlement bandwagon starts at an early age.
cityagboy
AG
zooguy96 said:

Funny how most of the kids on free/reduced lunch have the latest Iphone, shoes, etc. At least at our school.

Priorities.

We lived in a tent the summer before my 1st grade year, and we still had food.. albeit not very good food, but we still had food.

Many parents are too lazy to fill out forms, be responsible, etc. because of crap like this. We enable them to be lazy... and the entitlement bandwagon starts at an early age.

A lot of assumptions here…. Phones are needed for parents to reach there kids, people don't have phones at home and I highly doubt you checked to see if they were the newest phone or not. It could be a cheap iPhone bought on eBay or even a gift. It's the same crap when people get upset about homeless people having phones. They already don't have an address. How do you expect them to even attempt to get a job without at least having a phone. The society we live in demands it.

Just seems like you are judging people you don't know anything about.
zooguy96

zooguy96 said:

Priorities.

A lot of assumptions here…. Phones are needed for parents to reach there kids, people don't have phones at home and I highly doubt you checked to see if they were the newest phone or not. It could be a cheap iPhone bought on eBay or even a gift. It's the same crap when people get upset about homeless people having phones. They already don't have an address. How do you expect them to even attempt to get a job without at least having a phone. The society we live in demands it.

I'm a teacher. I know my students.
cityagboy
AG
zooguy96 said:

zooguy96 said:

Priorities.

I'm a teacher. I know my students.
Ok. So for the students you know do you think every single one on the free lunch program doesn't need it? Do you not see kids come to school hungry? Cause at my sons school I see kids who are hungry but his school is fairly low income. I'm a dad with lots of free time and I'm the PTA parent in our family so I'm at the school a lot (not as much as you I admit). But I think your attitude hurts the families that actually need the help and puts a bad perception on any kid using free lunch. I don't see anyway where it is ok to demonize a kid for adults failures.
Gramercy Riffs
AG

Phones are needed for parents to reach there kids,

My goodness, how did we ever make it growing up without cell phones being a thing at all?
cityagboy
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Phones are needed for parents to reach there kids,

My goodness, how did we ever make it growing up without cell phones being a thing at all?
There are no pay phones or phones in homes anymore
AgGrad99
AG
True...but there is a very simple solution for that
BTHOB-98
Look here. I have no problem paying my fair share of taxes to educate the masses. I will even pay for some kids to eat that can't afford to eat. I pay a lot of taxes. More than the average single homeowner and that is ok with one expectation.

Here is my one expectation. I just expect that when I give you that much money annually that you produce a top notch district. This used to be that kind of a district. It's not anymore and I am not sure it will be again. I am not ok with that. In fact I'm pissed about it.

Massive changes are needed. If you don't understand then you have not been paying attention. Before you say that I do not know what I am talking about I will tell you that I have been a property owner here since 1996. My wife was a teacher in the district for 12 years. We have raised our four boys in this district. Right now the district is sending out emails begging people to return to the district because so many have left and the charter schools here are busting at the seams. We're starting the school year down with not enough teachers by about 20%-30%. The superintendent is an liar, an adulterer, and maybe even an abuser. The board is a complete mess.

It needs to be fixed. As I said before every board member that is up for election should be gone and the other two should be voted out once they are up for election. The politics of this board stink and it is not in the kids' best interest.
MarathonAg12
I just moved here last August. We chose this area because it fed into a good elementary school.

Was active duty for the past 10 years. Just left Hood and Killeen. I'd say so far compared to that….you should happy to live in such a nice area with a good school district and schools.
Trenchant
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Before you say that I do not know what I am talking about I will tell you that I have been a property owner here since 1996. My wife was a teacher in the district for 12 years. We have raised our four boys in this district.
Our situations are very similar. We left RR this summer and moved to a bit more rural location outside of BCS. My only regret is that I won't be around to vote against the lunatics on the board. To say the superintendent is a complete POS is an understatement.

RRISD was a great district to grow up in, and raise kids in. It's broken now, and that's a shame.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.