Austin
Sponsored by

La Nina

7,359 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Say hello to summer 2011 again

AgOutsideAustin
AG
It's a dry heat
Furlock Bones
AG
After 2 bad winters with ice and snow, a low rainfall 2021, and low rainfall to start 2022, we are going to lose a crap ton of trees this summer.
AgGrad99
AG
2011 made me want to move. Really hope we don't see it again.

There was a year, maybe 2007, when it was a reallllly hot June, only to have a very cool and very wet July. I'm rooting for that
Furlock Bones
AG
AgGrad99 said:

2011 made me want to move. Really hope we don't see it again.

There was a year, maybe 2007, when it was a reallllly hot June, only to have a very cool and very wet July. I'm rooting for that
a couple of weeks ago i went up to Bend, OR to see a couple of friends that moved there from Texas last year. i want to move there now as well.
Potcake
AG
AgGrad99 said:

The past two Februarys made me want to move. Really hope we don't see it again.

FIFM
rcannaday
AG
Given that ERCOT is already setting records, a 2011-type summer would put massive stress on the grid. Probably need to go get that generator I have been thinking about.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I have the required tools

Portable AC
Generator
Swimming pool
HTownAg98
rcannaday said:

Given that ERCOT is already setting records, a 2011-type summer would put massive stress on the grid. Probably need to go get that generator I have been thinking about.

The Texas grid can handle heat fairly well.

The worst part of all this is La Nina might ease up in August and return to a normal pattern (which is hot and dry), and then pick back up again in the fall and extend into the winter. In short, it's going to suck.
Apache
AG
The beatdown continues....
I've got one A/C unit that turns 20 this year. I'm not sure it makes it through this summer.
Red Pear Felipe
Complete Idiot
Apache said:

The beatdown continues....
I've got one A/C unit that turns 20 this year. I'm not sure it makes it through this summer.

I have a 17 year old unit, and I have a single unit for a 3100 sq ft house (weird zoning implementation between upstairs and downstairs).

Every off season I debate fixing it proactively rather than waiting for catastrophic failure on a 108 degree day.

Instead I just cross my fingers as it runs 12+ hours a day.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Every off season I debate fixing it proactively rather than waiting for catastrophic failure on a 108 degree day.
Yeah I'm seriously considering this as well.
I bought a portable A/C unit about 10 years ago when our previous house's A/C went out. It saved us then & has saved some neighbors as well. Won't do the whole house, but it will cool our master bedroom nicely so you can get a good night's sleep.
Complete Idiot
Apache said:

Quote:

Yeah I'm seriously considering this as well.
I bought a portable A/C unit about 10 years ago when our previous house's A/C went out. It saved us then & has saved some neighbors as well. Won't do the whole house, but it will cool our master bedroom nicely so you can get a good night's sleep.

I have a separate a/c in our garage so we could bunk out there, that or an Airbnb for a couple days.
Complete Idiot

dsvogel05
AG
I replaced my two 17 year old systems proactively for 2 reasons, limited and expensive supply of the old freon, and second, don't want to wait for supply shortages to catch me in the middle of summer. I ended up using Green Leaf out of Hutto. Got bids from Stan's and Service Wizard, but likes the guys at Green Leaf better. Two Trane 16seer units, two stage, with variable speed blower was about $22k.
Aust Ag
AG
Anybody else's tomatoes, jalapeños,etc about done for the year? My tomato plants gave up a few weeks ago and now my jalapeño plants seem to have run out of steam. Despite daily watering.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
My tomatillos have been going crazy - lots of fruit. My jalapeños haven't produced at all.
512Ag
AG
Yup. Our tomatoes are fried...and not in the good way.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Rain
MouthBQ98
AG
Heat stress stops growth and they'll wilt to conserve water.

The temps I can take, we need some friggin rain.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Heat stress stops growth and they'll wilt to conserve water.
Plants wilt in heat because they don't have enough water in their cells to maintain structural integrity (low water pressure!) Wilting will help conserve water somewhat because the plant isn't upright facing the sun, but the plant isn't doing it reflexively as a preventative measure. (Sorry plant nerd here)
Complete Idiot
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01668-1

I guess a 3 year La Nina event, which is somewhat rare
CapCity12thMan
AG
my AC friend said he doesn't push people to replace before something dies, but prices about to go up 30-40% by end of year so if you are thinking about it it might make sense.
Complete Idiot
First CHANCE of real wide spread area rain in 2 months - hope we get some today. Staring at too many dead open space grass/weeds, dead plants.
Caesar4
AG
Glorious rain!
Aston 91
AG
I guess I picked a "good" day for my AC to go out. Hoping it's something simple like the capacitor (which was replaced 5 or 6 years ago). I actually bought a spare to replace it myself, but of course it's the wrong one.
Caesar4
AG
Caesar4 said:

Glorious rain!
And, it's gone.
Complete Idiot
At my house we had 11" of rain through the first 7 months and two weeks of the year.

8 days ago we had a 1" rain - wonderful.

This past Saturday night, we got 5.7" in under 4 hours. WTF?
Complete Idiot

Apache
AG

La Nina holding on... not going to let El Nino have a turn!
Complete Idiot

Ready to welcome back......The Nino.
Complete Idiot
C'mon Julia, give us some rain? Looks like that storm or it's low pressure remnants could arrive around Texas in 6-9 days.

Way way early but an old weather nerd with a dry yard can dream, can't he?
Complete Idiot
Lake Travis lowest it's been since 2015, and at a level that is historically very low, so it is good to see we are now under an official EL NINO WATCH.
Furlock Bones
AG
North Shore looking particularly bad these days.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.