Austin
Sponsored by

NFL to Austin?

2,529 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by He is Ass My Dude
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

tlepoC
AG
Part of me wants it as it will probably help to further kill off the UT bandwagon fans but meh to NFL. Where would the stadium go? East side?
cityagboy
AG
tlepoC said:

Part of me wants it as it will probably help to further kill off the UT bandwagon fans but meh to NFL. Where would the stadium go? East side?

I actually think north of the domain and 45 or south of austin to pull from the San Antonio market

But who knows
AggieOO
Lol, Jerry Jones will never let this happen.
cityagboy
AG
AggieOO said:

Lol, Jerry Jones will never let this happen.

He has less power than he used to
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Welcome to JRE Field at Tesla Park !!!!
512Ag
AG
I'd prefer a major league baseball team nearby, but I could get behind an NFL team. I don't see either happening anytime soon, though.
Apache
AG
An NFL team makes sense in Central Texas given the exponential growth occurring. Most of the folks moving in have no connection to tu, so let's have them spend their dollars elsewhere instead of paying licensing fees on merch & sip game tickets.

Put the new stadium out near 130/71 near the airport/cybertruck factory & COTA. Run a rail line connecting all that to downtown. (This would be the only rail line I would back btw)
fig96
AG
If that could get them to improve access and parking for COTA I'd be all for it.
Martin Cash
AG
The Austin Homeless?

The Austin Libtards?

SteveBott
AG
I don't see it happening. Only two options are expansion or moving a current team. I haven't seen any mention of expansion anywhere. Teams almost always talk about moving when they want leverage and end up staying put.
Apache
AG
You'd obviously have to put them in the NFC West with San Fran, Los Angeles & Seattle (Lib cities with high homeless populations) Arizona would need to go somewhere else.
wadd96
AG
Jerry vetoes this
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Tobias Funke
AG
Martin Cash said:

The Austin Homeless?

The Austin Libtards?

omg good one lol
MouthBQ98
AG
The Austin Leslies.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Austin Cranes! We could rip off The Oilers derrick logo and go with a tower crane.

Second suggestion is Austin Campers

The Fall Guy
AG
Austin ******s.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Insightful post and boundless humor per usual. The name would indeed suck thought because it'd have to be so PC/woke. Couldn't be worse though than the Texans. People usually move in and bring their fandom with them so they'd struggle I think for organic fans
JOHN2010
AG
The Austin clowns… it'll represent Mayor Adler well
Medaggie
an NFL team in Austin would be best put somewhere in Bastrop. Lot of land for a stadium, Toll road, airport.

Doubt it would happen but Austin is the perfect fit. Lot of $$$, place would be sold out, Lots of $$$ for suites, 10th largest city in US, SA 1 hr away with a top 10 populated city.

It would quickly become one of the most valuable franchise in 10 yrs.
JAW3336
AG
Medaggie said:

an NFL team in Austin would be best put somewhere in Bastrop. Lot of land for a stadium, Toll road, airport.

Doubt it would happen but Austin is the perfect fit. Lot of $$$, place would be sold out, Lots of $$$ for suites, 10th largest city in US, SA 1 hr away with a top 10 populated city.

I am guessing you aren't serious with any of this info.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
cityagboy
AG
Medaggie said:

I agree with most but the location is either north austin or south of austin. I think south of austin would be best to pull from SA
cityagboy
AG
JAW3336 said:

Medaggie said:

I am guessing you aren't serious with any of this info.
. What don't you agree with and why?
Txhuntr
AG
Medaggie said:

Have you tried to drive to/thru Bastrop on a Sunday afternoon? Hwy 71 would need major overhaul. South in the buda area would be best spot since 130/45 could alleviate some of the traffic
JAW3336
AG
Austin isn't a top 10 city or even a top 10 metro area.

cityagboy
AG
JAW3336 said:

Austin isn't a top 10 city or even a top 10 metro area.

Austin is. You are right about the metro area but that is QUICKLY changing.
Medaggie
I love it when posters just type in "are you serious" or something similar without even giving a reason. I am not sure why this is so outrageous? I just looked it up and Austin is 11th but they are not including any of the large suburbs. Last I check Austin proper was over 1M and if you include the suburbs which are essentially in Austin, they would easily be top 10. 2022 Austin pop is 1.03M

I do think they would be one of the most valuable in a decade. There are a lot of money in the Austin area, lots of tech companies who would pay large premiums for those suite. Place would be sold out quickly just as MLS sold out.

Medaggie
To Bring an NFL team, they need an NFL stadium which does not exist. Austin has a traffic problem no matter where you put it and I35 is not any better. I would take Bastrop near the tollroad which can be expanded and the airport will be expanded too.

I don't see many road options to expand on I35 but it would be close to SA.
cityagboy
AG
Medaggie said:

To Bring an NFL team, they need an NFL stadium which does not exist. Austin has a traffic problem no matter where you put it and I35 is not any better. I would take Bastrop near the tollroad which can be expanded and the airport will be expanded too.

I don't see many road options to expand on I35 but it would be close to SA.
Austin traffic sucks but it isn't worse than Houston or Dallas…

The airport has already started plans to expand

I agree south of austin would be the best. Call the team "Central Texas" and pull from San Antonio

Also, most NFL stadiums are smaller than the sips stadium and the F1 race (Cota) and SXSW and ACL
512Ag
AG
Dream scenario (because this is completely a dream and I don't see another NFL team in Texas happening): Build a 60-70,000 seat stadium out near Tesla off 130. Preferably bankrolled by Elon. None of this Jerryworld-sized business. Maybe build it down a little more toward the race track. Have a game scheduled every year on the weekend of F1 and make it a big damn deal. Use DKR until the stadium is finished. Uniforms are green/black, based off of Austin FC's colors, a la Pittsburgh's gold/black for all teams. I'm not good at coming up with team names, so I'll just toss out "Wildcats" as a placeholder.

Avoid the area if you don't like traffic, just like you would during SXSW, ACL Festival, and campus on Saturdays in the fall.
JAW3336
AG
my bad, I saw this list and didn't realize it was from 2020.

[ol]
  • New York City, NY (Population: 8,622,357)
  • Los Angeles, CA (Population: 4,085,014)
  • Chicago, IL (Population: 2,670,406)
  • Houston, TX (Population: 2,378,146)
  • Phoenix, AZ (Population: 1,743,469)
  • Philadelphia, PA (Population: 1,590,402)
  • San Antonio, TX (Population: 1,579,504)
  • San Diego, CA (Population: 1,469,490)
  • Dallas, TX (Population: 1,400,337)
  • San Jose, CA (Population: 1,036,242)
  • [/ol]
    JAW3336
    AG
    As a metro area looks like it will be a while before Austin gets near the top 10.

I could see DFW getting a second NFL team.
    Medaggie
    One next to Tesla towards the airport would be a dream. I know this is not exactly Bastrop but this is what I was envisioning when I said Bastrop. Right near the airport, lots of land, near the toll. It would be a city in itself.

The could host some great sporting events too in that stadium.
    Medaggie
    Jerry likely would fight tooth/nail if one in Austin/SA pops up.

He would go nuclear if there was a Forth Worth one.
    He is Ass My Dude
    East of 35 in San Marcos might me a good spot. 30min from ATX and 45min from SA.

If not there, as close to the MLS stadium as possible.

If Austin traffic can deal with 100,000 at DKR on Saturday, it can handle a smaller stadium on Sundays.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.