Austin
Sponsored by

Property Protest

1,416 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OregonAggie
Howdy Dammit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the strategy in Travis County. I see that you can protest online, but is going with a firm worth it? And if so, are there any good recommendations? I'm assuming the firm just saves you time on putting together a case, but if you're willing to put in that time yourself, would you yield a similar result?
Furlock Bones
AG
Based on my experience with Travis CAD and HCAD and my friends experience in other CADs, you're better off going with a company. It seems to be a huge racket where by a person walks in with exact info the company does yet the company does better.
rcannaday
AG
I use Five Stone
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton
Bitter Old Man
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Based on my experience with Travis CAD and HCAD and my friends experience in other CADs, you're better off going with a company. It seems to be a huge racket where by a person walks in with exact info the company does yet the company does better.
Yup. They go in and get a bunch of them done at once. Its bull****, but thats how it works.
kyle field 94
AG
rcannaday said:

I use Five Stone

How long have you used them and how has their prior performance been?
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I provided 3 comps of similar properties that were lower in price and sq feet. The tcad agent said he averaged those in and the appraisal came back higher. Wtf? I used to say this process was easy to do on your own but not sure this year. At any rate - No one is going to get it under the 10% homestead cap for this year…
HECUBUS
AG
We are seven figures in the homestead exemption. It's pointless.
kyle field 94
AG
My home is a second home so no homestead exemption for me.

Really little to no downside for me to have someone do this, just trying to figure out my best options
tamc93
AG
Always fight...make them show you how they at least got there.
rcannaday
AG
Honestly, I use them because I am so busy at work and dealing with kids, that I don't have the time to deal with unmotivated TCAD. This year I bumped up mine to essential plus because TCAD randomly took away my homestead (re-applied). But yes, worth it - you generally need someone to deal with the people down at TCAD to get anywhere on the valuation.
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton
stardustag
AG
HECUBUS said:

We are seven figures in the homestead exemption. It's pointless.
we are in the same boat... but it doesn't hurt to protest it... last year they gave us some token reduction. I'll take anything at this point from those nazis.
Potcake
AG
kyle field 94
AG
Is there any chance that if I appeal that the appraisal board can actually come back and say that your property is under valued compared to our initial findings

Or is this really a risk less decision about appealing?
TamuKid
AG
kyle field 94 said:

Is there any chance that if I appeal that the appraisal board can actually come back and say that your property is under valued compared to our initial findings

They cannot raise your appraisal due to your protesting. It is zero risk. Only has the upside of winning.
jopatura
AG
kyle field 94 said:

Unless you have errors in your property description that could be uncovered during the protest process. If sq ft or rooms or a pool is missing in your favor, don't rock the boat.
OregonAggie
AG
I've wondered the same thing. How often do people win and what do you say in the protest?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.