Austin
Sponsored by

Recs for Day Trip to Austin

1,825 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by baseballaficionado
AgDC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm meeting some friends from out of state in Austin for the day so their misguided son can tour the tu campus. I have not been to austin in quite a while myself so I'm looking for recommendations of things to do. They'd like to see some live music on 6th Street -- can you find that during the day? I'd also like to get them some good BBQ. Anything else in Austin that might be good for them to see/do? It's their first real trip to Texas.

Potcake
AG
I'm placing the over/under of homeless references at five.

It probably depends on weather and time of year. Probably going to be hard to cram a lot of stuff into one day. I would suggest moving around the core of town, South Congress, eastside, Burnet Rd areas to get a feel for the different parts of town.
AggieOO
most of 6th street will be closed during the day.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Just for Potcake I'll get it started….make sure to engage the homeless they like the interaction. Especially the ones with machetes. Should be able to step over a few on Guadalupe just avoid their shiite and needles.

I did see they cleared out the bums across from city hall.
That was good.
Martin Cash
AG
AgDC said:

I'm meeting some friends from out of state in Austin for the day so their misguided son can tour the tu campus. I have not been to austin in quite a while myself so I'm looking for recommendations of things to do. They'd like to see some live music on 6th Street -- can you find that during the day? I'd also like to get them some good BBQ. Anything else in Austin that might be good for them to see/do? It's their first real trip to Texas.

Tell him to bring his dildo.
Aston 91
AG
I'd avoid Sixth Street, or at least the portion of Sixth where most of the music venues are (i.e. east of Congress / "Dirty Sixth"). If you go during the day, the atmosphere will be dead. If you go at night, you may be dead.

South Congress, Rainey Street, or West Sixth would probably be better choices for tourists. For music, I'd check out the Austin Chronicle listings for whatever day you're in town and see what interests you. The Broken Spoke is usually a solid choice for tourists to see a slice of old Austin, but it's pretty far south.

Austin Chronicle Music Listings
AggieOO
rainey has gone to **** too.
BrokeAssAggie
For good bbq I would make the short drive out to Valentina's https://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/
TamuKid
AG
Eat/Drink at Bangers on Rainey Street. It's not BBQ... but it's a fun spot, good food, good beer.
La Barbeque and Terry Blacks are good BBQ choices; assuming you're not willing to spend your entire morning doing the Franklin's experience.

Go walk South Congress to kill a few hours and pop into some shops and eateries. Some spots may have some live music going on or street performers (not sure what day/time you're going).

BQ78
AG
Music during the day? Your best bet is to find a homeless man with a harmonica.

You're welcome Potcake. You did ask for it
BMach
AG
Terry Blacks for BBQ
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
What day of the week?
aggiederelict
Rent some stand up paddles or kayaks and get a nice view of downtown.

You could stand in line at Franklin's BBQ. Crazy long but an experience to do once.

Hike the Greenbelt to Sculpture Falls.

Howdy Dammit
AG
Oasis brewery is a nice spot to grab a beer. Pretty far from downtown though. Just don't go eat at the oasis after...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I always recommend the Franklin line and BBQ unless you have only one day. The good news is right now because they aren't open in the dining room you can pre order 42 days in advance, right now you can order whatever you want for Tuesday but they will sell out of Brisket the night before or sooner. So I recommend scheduling a pickup as soon as you know when you'll be there
Matsui
AG
See campus
Get bbq
Walk on south congress south of the river

That will kill the day
Furlock Bones
AG
If they want to see live music, go to Nashville. That's the real live music capitol these days.
500,000ags
AG
It always amazes me the number of people that visit Austin to walk up and down both sidewalks along South Congress. It looks like the Domain now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Furlock Bones said:

If they want to see live music, go to Nashville. That's the real live music capitol these days.

I've lived in both cities. It's kind of comical that Austin is touted as the live music capital of the world, it doesn't hold a torch to Nashville's scene. Maybe that was different 20, 30 years ago though.

Austin in a day is tough. Such a spread out sprawl. Lots of good advice to use geography as your guide, e.g. don't go all over or backtrack if you can help it.

SoCo is good for what you're probably looking for, I'd start the planning there.
baseballaficionado
Howdy Dammit said:

Oasis brewery is a nice spot to grab a beer. Pretty far from downtown though. Just don't go eat at the oasis after...

We had our rehearsal dinner (2009) in a party room at Oasis [for the view] and we still go back at least once or twice a year. Outside of the crowds, there is nothing wrong with the food or restaurant. No, it isn't fine dining and might be a little overpriced, but it is decent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.