Austin
Sponsored by

House Remodel

1,235 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jmm
jaborch99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
My wife and I have 99% decided to move to Buda. We will be doing a major remodel and moving into the house I grew up in. We currently live in Tyler and want to complete the remodel before we move in next summer. Therefore, we need to find someone who can take us from start to finish through the remodel of a house that we live 4.5 hours away from. We need someone to draw up plans, be in charge of the general contractor, keep everyone on task and on schedule, and keep me updated all through the process. My dad will be around as a local contact, but he won't be "in charge" so we'll need to be fully in the loop throughout.

Any recommendations? It's a big project and we need someone that we can trust and that will keep us updated and stress-free while we are still in Tyler and therefore, not able to be on-site all the time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Get some quotes because it's probably going to cost 2x what you are thinking. My guess is you won't get anyone to even come out for under 200k. A good GC should do most of that maybe even draw simple plans, my GC did not do a great job organizing and scheduling but the work was good. I was cracking the whip several days a week

There will nothing stress free about the project even if you hire a design and build firm
evan_aggie
AG
As Keeper said, right now it's pretty tough to get a GC and tradesman for remodels under a certain threshold.

What is your budget or much were you thinking of spending? An architect can do a lot of the plans, but you are also talking a bunch of extra $$$.

As suggested, you can really make do with sketches and measurements on your own if it's mostly working within the confines of the existing walls.
SteveBott
AG
I cant think of a worse scenario for a big remodel. Being 4 hours away is going to make it really hard. Have you thought of moving and renting a year here? Being local makes it more doable but as said still really difficult project. So many on site decisions have to be made quickly. You are trying to eat an elephant if doing this from Tyler.

Good luck
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also all power is with the contractor right now, you can sit all them all you want but in all reality you are getting what you get which is likely what you pay for.

Start with CG&S they will set you upper limit in terms of cost and service
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
I'm an Architect that lives just outside of NW Buda. Been in the area of 967/1626 since 2009. If interested give me a call or text at 512-4I5-4I5O. If nothing else, I can offer a few recommendations if I am not the proper professional for you.
Gordon Bombay
AG
Mark Corley in Georgetown, good guy, responsive and meticulous in his work. Can pass along his information if anyone needs it.
jmm
River City Construction
Donny Wills

We just finished a large project We moved out for 45 days and they did a great job. We ordered everything months in advance and warehoused flooring, counters, appliances, plumbing fixtures. Did several dry runs thru the project before we left town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.