Austin
Sponsored by

Covert GMC on 183

3,409 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wahoo82
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charging $10k above sticker on new Yukon's.....made one call to Ancira in Beorne and they are doing $0 over. They even made comment that some dealers are trying to get over sticker and how they aren't playing that game.

Bad bull and will remember that when things flip back to a buyers market in auto industry.
wargograw
You should go sell them a car for pre-COVID prices then.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You can find them cheaper, I just got a Tahoe and Covert wanted MSRP + a 1K package for protection.
Abilene wanted 5k on top
Capitol wanted 3k on top

All American, Ancira and Northside in San Antonio are all doing them at MSRP. They are profiteering so no need to listen to WGG on this one. I got mine a Buckalew in Conroe. Sent an email to every dealer I was willing to drive to and said I'd purchase before they even got the VIN but I wanted to MSRP, Z71, Black and bucket seats in the 2nd row. Didn't care about anything else. Waited for a few weeks and finally got one
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Chevy dealership in Victoria is also an option
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Just my opinion: this doesn't sound like a big deal at all. They set a price that you didn't like, so you shopped somewhere else. This is the way the world works. As long as they didn't try to mislead you, no harm no foul.
The Silverback
AG
wargograw said:

You should go sell them a car for pre-COVID prices then.
A holes low balled by truck for trade in as well.

I get it, they can charge what ever they want but for me personally, I have purchased 3 vehicles from the previously and will go out of my way to purchase elsewhere moving forward.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It' definitely seems short sited especially for a repeat buyer but that 5k or 10k is all profit right now but who knows maybe they will make more money that way. It would be nice to know the dealer ships who are charging over MSRP right now so you could do less work to find a vehicle

I
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Maybe by then you could buy from the manufacturer
SteveBott
AG
I would defer any auto purchases right now if that is an option. New or used. Buy a warranty if that is the issue.

The market will come back to normal. Not sure when but it will eventually
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think you might see prices lower than MSRP but MSRP will be higher
SteveBott
AG
Eventually chip production will catch up and dealers will flood the market pushing prices down. 6 mo? 12? No idea
Tobias Funke
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Just my opinion: this doesn't sound like a big deal at all. They set a price that you didn't like, so you shopped somewhere else. This is the way the world works. As long as they didn't try to mislead you, no harm no foul.
Exactly this. Why is this a thread?
The Silverback
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

People come to buy cars from the Coverts because they have been doing so for years and trust that the vehicle they are buying is fairly priced, as those are largely set by the manufacturer.

Clearly they are selling cars right now, so I feel they are taking advantage of people who have put their trust in them from decades of prior service, with out shopping around. I am not one of them but think its bush league.

If this helps someone not waste their time shopping them for a new car great, if this wasted your time by reading it then my apologies.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I agree this is generally not shocking but is unexpected from the Covert family who are known by many in the local community. There are many people who have been loyal to Covert for 40 years so I can see why people would expect some loyalty in return
Charpie
AG
How dare they try and make money. How dare they charge for a truck. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE??!?!

BTW, don't buy a car right now. You will not be able to work a deal.

IN FACT, if you can downsize to one car, you can trade in your ****ty car for a huge profit.
The Dirty Sock
Tobias Funke said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

You can't have capitalism here, comrade!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Question for OP, in different times do you expect them to sell the car for less than MSRP? I think of that the case then it's kind of hypocritical. I hate the haggle.

I have always just called multiple dealers and told them what I want and what I want to pay then I wait. Covert initially told me 5k over MSRP and I said no thank I'll go to capital and they called a week later at 1k over but by that time I had one at MSRP
The Silverback
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Question for OP, in different times do you expect them to sell the car for less than MSRP? I think of that the case then it's kind of hypocritical. I hate the haggle.

I have always just called multiple dealers and told them what I want and what I want to pay then I wait. Covert initially told me 5k over MSRP and I said no thank I'll go to capital and they called a week later at 1k over but by that time I had one at MSRP
I worked in the car business for several years out of school and have several friends who run dealerships in the Austin area. Bought countless cars over the years. Never seen anything like that in my life. I don't think I have ever seen a normal production vehicle you can buy anywhere ever listed over MSRP to that degree.

Ancira bid my truck at $7k higher than Covert for trade in and selling me a new Yukon at MSRP, a $17k difference on what I would deem a very normal transaction. Not like these are exotics and hard to put numbers on. Just never seen or heard of that kind of variance from a large reputable dealer before. Thought it was odd but maybe not?
Charpie
AG
There isn't enough supply to go around right now. That's the only reason this is happening. Lots are empty. Toyota is scaling back production because they don't have enough parts and chips to make cars right now. It will get better but its going to take time
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think Covert is doing it because there is plenty of dummies paying it without going somewhere else and covert has the name and scale to attract plenty of peolle
The Silverback
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I think Covert is doing it because there is plenty of dummies paying it without going somewhere else and covert has the name and scale to attract plenty of peolle
Exactly my point of this post.....Bush league and for someone who has bought several cars from them previously, I personally will not in the future. This will come back to bite them in the long run when the tables have turned.
SteveBott
AG
I've never heard of paying MSRP for a standard American car until now. Always some kind of cost plus
austinag1997
AG
The service department at Covert is awful. Terrible customer service.
Medaggie
The cost of doing business is going up and this is likely not a good business decision but its supply & demand. Someone will pay that price and they will make more profit now and may lose some business in the future. That is the cost/benefit calculations they made.

I have found in business its all about $$$ and profit. Happens all the time. I never blame anyone to maximize profit if they are able, I am sure we all do that in life.

We raised our STR rates 40% pre to post covid and still booked all through the summer. You can call me price gouging too but that is just what the market dictated. Actually I should have raised it 60% b/c it was booked 3 months out so the demand was there.
Caesar4
AG
Medaggie said:

We raised our STR rates 40% ...
STR? https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Str
MouthBQ98
AG
The whole dealer phenomenon is a bureaucratically enabled distribution cartel in my view. It might have once served a purpose.
Now it is just a job and tax base creating overhead.
The Silverback
AG
Medaggie said:

The cost of doing business is going up and this is likely not a good business decision but its supply & demand. Someone will pay that price and they will make more profit now and may lose some business in the future. That is the cost/benefit calculations they made.

I have found in business its all about $$$ and profit. Happens all the time. I never blame anyone to maximize profit if they are able, I am sure we all do that in life.

We raised our STR rates 40% pre to post covid and still booked all through the summer. You can call me price gouging too but that is just what the market dictated. Actually I should have raised it 60% b/c it was booked 3 months out so the demand was there.
Apples and Oranges.

No one books a house from you because of your name and reputation as long standing reputable company in the community.

They are profiting off of this even though virtually every other dealer has not marked their vehicles up a dime.

If you were the only person charging 40% more on STR you wouldn't have any occupancy, the entire industry did this as well.

Another update on this, ironically I dropped my truck off on 8/23 for transmission issue. Warranty work but naturally they have no loaner vehicles (even though I was told there would be one any day). I was then told because of this inconvenience they would do same day diagnosis.

Well, after 4 days they finally tell me it needs a new transmission but it will only take 3 days to fix and get it back to me. So here we are 8 days later and now they are saying another 5-7 days till I get it back.

All the while with no loaner and costing me $95/day rental vehicle.

I understand this is a crazy time in car business but awful experience all around
The Silverback
AG
Wahoo82
AG
We have gotten great deals at Covert Hutto and Covert Bastrop. Covert 183 not so much. They have always been high priced.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.