Austin
Sponsored by

If you didn't live in Austin

6,206 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Potcake
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grew up in Houston, then moved back after A&M and have been in Austin for 5 years now.

I don't miss the sprawl of Houston at all and not a big fan of the Dallas vibe, so I'd definitely go San Antonio. Great TexMex and the food scene overall is getting better, reasonably affordable and some fun places to hang out and shop (The Pearl, The Rim, etc.).
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
fig96 said:

Grew up in Houston, then moved back after A&M and have been in Austin for 5 years now.

I don't miss the sprawl of Houston at all and not a big fan of the Dallas vibe, so I'd definitely go San Antonio. Great TexMex and the food scene overall is getting better, reasonably affordable and some fun places to hang out and shop (The Pearl, The Rim, etc.).

Not to mention, I don't think many if any Mexican food places out Tajin/Chili Salt on their margs like in SA. I like that about the place.
aggielax11
AG
DFW
Christopher
Class '02

BrokeAssAggie
Naples Florida area
Agit8r
AG
Sold the house in s. Austin in June and made a killing (bought at $108k in '93). The wife and I could've moved anywhere (retired). Liked Colorado but was finding it hard to move to a blue state plus the winters are too cold for this Texas boy. Florida was a possibility but too far away from the wife's grandkids and daughter. I liked Destin or somewhere in Florida along the gulf coast. So decided to stay in Texas (and do our part to keep it red).

Houston: nope. Too much sprawl/too much traffic/too humid/> air pollution
Dallas: nope. Been there done that ('80's). Too big/traffic/too cosmo for me
S.A.: maybe. Got use to SA having driven over there alot (from Austin) during the 90's and 2000'sfor work. Getting around the city much easier than H or D town. Good restaurants and getting better. Close to the hill country (have-motorcycle-will-travel). Several hrs. to the beach.
Fort Worth: Probably gets my first place vote for what others have said about it above.

Bastrop: where we decided to settle into. Close to wife's daughter and grandkids, I'm close to my hometown of College Station and 2 of my siblings (the other in Houston), close enough to Austin to restaurants, concerts, friends, can still get to the beach in 3-1/2 hrs, quaint fun little downtown with a nice riverside park (and bar!), and has just about everything one needs (except a Costco or Sam's Club).
So far, so good.
wadd96
AG
San Antonio and it's not even close.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I can't imagine considering Colorado or Florida and deciding on Bastrop

Although with 2 kids under 3 I understand the importance of family being close especially when they are willing to help
HECUBUS
AG
Have been looking for somewhere else for ever. The last kid has about two and a half years left in the house. Then we'll be looking full time, but I doubt we can find anything better.

rather be fishing
AG
Closing in on 2 years since we left Austin for Montana. Definitely miss Austin, but not regretting our decision at all. Sitting on my porch looking at the mountains, thermometer shows 49 degrees. Got the first snow of the season on the taller peaks last night.
HECUBUS
AG

I will miss the poach in Austin the most.
Martin Cash
AG
HECUBUS said:

I will miss the poach in Austin the most.
You can poach pretty much anywhere.
HECUBUS
AG
Maybe somewhere near Asheville NC. Some fine poachin' in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Income tax, but less property tax.
SMidgett87
AG
One of the Metroplex suburbs; although I wouldn't like the winters there. I grew up there and still have family up there.
[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/bpilcik/secede.jpg[/img]
Potcake
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Would you be in Dallas, Houston, or SA? Let's assume no family or job ties you to any of them.

OP listed three choices, none of them in Florida, Asheville, or anywhere else. Never change TexAgs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.