Austin
Sponsored by

Lake Austin boat ramps

2,075 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Furlock Bones
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just bought a boat and will be taking it out for the first time this weekend on Lake Austin. It's been about 10 years since I've been out on that lake so I'm just curious with all the new boaters around here now, is it still fairly quick and easy to launch at the 360 bridge or Walsh Landing if we go mid morning on a Saturday or an evening on the weekend?
Potcake
AG
Quinlan Park may be a drive for you but is usually quieter but also less parking.
AggieT12
AG
Walsh Landing is my preference. Easier to get in and out and better parking if you're there early. 360 bridge fills up quick and they now charge $5 per person to get in plus $7 trailer fee (cash only). Walsh Landing is just $10 to park and easier for picking people up.
ReloadAg
AG
Good to know. Thanks.
MouthBQ98
AG
Penny backer bridge is a zoo because it is accessible and parking is limited.

I've launched from Emma Long park before. Fee is moderate, and it's such a long drive to get back there that ramp usage is pretty light.

ReloadAg
AG
We launched at Walsh Landing this morning at about 9 and had no issues. Plenty of parking.
OregonAggie
AG
ReloadAg said:

We launched at Walsh Landing this morning at about 9 and had no issues. Plenty of parking.

That's great to know. I'm not a fan of lake austin but sometimes I go there just because it's easy for my friends to get to, especially during the week.
ReloadAg
AG
We love Lake Austin! What don't you like about it?
MouthBQ98
AG
It's cold towards Mansfield at least, which can be good or bad depending on the season.

It gets a little too shady in spots in the morning and afternoon being down in that canyon.

Other than that it's ok.
OregonAggie
AG
I know lots of folks love it but it's too busy and there aren't enough places to just anchor up. Also, watersports are tougher there because of how narrow the lake is.
Furlock Bones
AG
OregonAggie said:

I know lots of folks love it but it's too busy and there aren't enough places to just anchor up. Also, watersports are tougher there because of how narrow the lake is.

That and surfboat wave after surfboat wave.
OregonAggie
AG
Furlock Bones said:

OregonAggie said:

That and surfboat wave after surfboat wave.

Yeah I'm on a surfing boat and I hate pulling people there, partly because of all the other surf waves but then also the fact that we're ruining other folks days.

I keep my boat at Canyon but will take it to Travis and LBJ a couple times a summer. Not sure when I'll be back on austin.
ReloadAg
AG
I definitely miss the days when people were trying to make the smallest wakes possible, not the biggest.
rather be fishing
AG
Potcake said:

Quinlan Park may be a drive for you but is usually quieter but also less parking.

If they haven't done any repairs to it, that ramp was slicker than hell.
Furlock Bones
AG
i have been on surf boats a couple of times. they are a lot of fun. but, at the same time, they really do ruin the lake for other people especially on narrow lakes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.