Austin
Sponsored by

Public Camping Ban Phase 2

2,820 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/city-of-austin-moves-to-phase-2-of-public-camping-ban-may-issue-citations-for-repeat-offenders

Have my serious doubts about the enforcement of this, and I also can't think of anything more pointless than handing a citation to a homeless person

but I'm a least a little bit pleasantly surprised to see *some* news on this after Prop B passed.

Also, this is the first I've heard this:
Quote:

The first 30 days of the City's implementation of the camping ban, Phase 1, sought to educate people experiencing homelessness about the rules of the ban. Representatives from multiple city departments visited encampments across the city, providing resources on alternate options and safe housing.

Phase 2 is expected to last 28 days.
DD88
AG
They just need a means to remove them and all the clutter from unsafe areas to start with.
If the City manager is willing to take this action, there will be a certain amount of improvement and some will even return to shelter options.

When the Austin City Council allowed camping everywhere the sheltered population actually decreased by 20%.

https://thetexan.news/a-look-behind-austin-voters-bipartisan-blow-to-the-citys-homeless-camping-policy/
Quote:

Immediately, an incentive to leave shelters and live on the streets was established. From 2019 to 2020, Austin's total homeless population jumped by over 750 people. The unsheltered percentage increased 45 percent while its sheltered percentage decreased 20 percent leaving Austin with the highest unsheltered rate among Texas' most populated cities.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Adler and his merry band of city council members criminals just left for a 6 week vacation. Nothing will be done.
Martin Cash
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Adler and his merry band of city council members criminals just left for a 6 week vacation. Nothing will be done.
But not before taking the time to misname the latest episode of thug violence as 'gun' violence.
bankshot11
AG
Is this the "pretty please" phase or the "pretty please with sugar on top" phase?

Seriously, the hobo camps are only increasing in size, and now they've added bicycles to their repertoire. I have to drive through intersections at about 15mph to make sure I don't run over the suicidal ones who jump out in front of traffic.
Aust Ag
AG
Martin Cash said:

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

But not before taking the time to misname the latest episode of thug violence as 'gun' violence.
That was so annoying. I saw the "after" video of the shooting, lots of bikers there and in town last weekend for the rally. Lots drinking, etc. What % of them you think might have had a firearm with them (hint: it's high)? How many of them were reported to have shot anyone?

But it's a "gun problem".
Gramercy Riffs
AG
bankshot11 said:

I have to drive through intersections at about 15mph to make sure I don't run over the suicidal ones who jump out in front of traffic.

You don't have to
tailgatetimer10
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-public-safety-commission-recommends-to-stop-camping-ban-citations/

Sooo, the citizens voted on it.. and this is going to be their out to ignore an election?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Small step, but cleanup happening this morning:

https://www.saveaustinnowpac.com/major-downtown-encampment-cleanup
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They cleaned out airport and 35 2 days ago
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.