Austin
Sponsored by

Austin City Council going on vacay

1,733 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgOutsideAustin
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going on 6 week vacation without making any decisions on the homeless situation. Nice.

Furlock Bones
AG
Oh no you can't discuss local politics here. It upsets trapper keeper of the spirit.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Keeper of the spirit has already reported you, requested that the thread be nuked, and asked to have you removed from the site. Was nice knowing you.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Said my peace on both threads, mods know my position and don't need to report any more. I renew the opportunity to speak with me about important issues like this in person. I won't comment on these threads anymore, and am only responding to these because of the direct mentions. I will allow you to waller in your misery
The Fall Guy
AG
Is anyone surprised the council did this? This just pushes the turd down the pipe. The people that voted for them either have no common sense or morals. It's very unhealthy for Austin going forward but the bed was made and until the citizens revolt more its going to stay the same path.
KT 90
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Is anyone surprised the council did this? This just pushes the turd down the pipe. The people that voted for them either have no common sense or morals. It's very unhealthy for Austin going forward but the bed was made and until the citizens revolt more its going to stay the same path.

pretty horrible thing for the council to do. They've put the APD in an impossible position. It'll be up to them to enforce the new mandate (we'll enter the next 30 day phase while the council is on vacation), yet the council has provided no solutions or place for the campers to "go". If APD enforces the mandate, they'll take all the brunt of the criticism/pushback/violence from the activist groups. If APD doesn't enforce the mandate, they are going to pushback from everyone who voted for the new mandate.
KT 90
AG
and as a general FYI, I occasionally post current event info about Austin or the general area. I honestly like to hear opinions/input from others that live in the area. No agenda, no wallering in misery or anything like that.

You tend to get more level-headed options on here than you do in the trying to dig through the twitter comments. Most on there have already made up their minds and dug in their heels on a certain side of an issue.

Unfortunately our local media doesn't do a very good job of covering news events anymore. At least not both sides of an issue and letting the viewer make a decision as to where they stand on the issue.

The Fall Guy
AG
KT 90 said:

The Fall Guy said:

pretty horrible thing for the council to do. They've put the APD in an impossible position. It'll be up to them to enforce the new mandate (we'll enter the next 30 day phase while the council is on vacation), yet the council has provided no solutions or place for the campers to "go". If APD enforces the mandate, they'll take all the brunt of the criticism/pushback/violence from the activist groups. If APD doesn't enforce the mandate, they are going to pushback from everyone who voted for the new mandate.

It is unfortunate for APD and its staff. The council is petty. The amount of APD officers that have retired, moved to another police job or left being an officer are staggering. Our neighbor left APD officially in Dec. He is in the process of moving somewhere else. He served aong term at APD but after last year he needed somewhere he was not blamed for everything.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Totally get that, and appreciate that. TexAgs is generally far more reasonable than broad social media. My challenge is not to get down in the muck of it all and talk about what we can actually do about. I know I have multiple options, I can advocate my position to my elected officials, I can donate money to the cause I support (big supporter of the camping ban), I can volunteer with those organizations and I can vote. I do all of those things and encourage each of you to do the same.

Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in all of us. Yelling and complaining and saying things your would never say in an actual conversation is an impotent solution to the problems for me and worse
It further divides our already politically fractured communities. Most people prefer to yell at their screens than roll up their sleeves to do the hard work required or
open up their pocket books. If I am not working to solve a problem then I am not going to complain about it and I am going to do my best not to bash someone or something just to do it.

The subject matter of my employment is related mostly to corruption both public and corporate,
So I have been witnessing this stuff first hand my whole career.f From that I learned control what you can control and don't worry about the rest. It's the only way I can stay out of the negativity of it all, that's a long dark road for me. I've stayed on TexAgs because of the connection with my local community of Ags. I tried to review a lot of the postings of some of the most vocal folks on the board to better understand their position and know I wouldn't be able to function in that negative headspace.
MouthBQ98
AG
Good, they can do less damage the longer they are out.
Aust Ag
AG
I've never heard of this "break". Is this done in other large cities, where the mayor just says "Adios" until August?
Mike Elko
AG
Yes, in Europe.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Yes, in Europe.

And Seattle and Portland and San Francisco and Chicago....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.