Austin
Sponsored by

Ags in Northwest Hills?

3,912 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hammerhead
jkm1982
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're relatively new to the neighborhood. Moved to Old Cat Mountain last year. Where are the good places to eat?
Aston 91
AG
We like Saffron on Far West. It's fairly cheap Indian/Himalayan food. Only doing takeout last I checked, but should be opening for dining soon. No liquor license, so you can bring your own and they don't charge a cork fee.
Mookie
AG
Saffron is really good. I like bidermans deli up there too.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Bidermans is good but the old Kitchen Door was legit.
Billy Foster
AG
Azul Tequila at 2222 and Dry Creek
chet98
AG
Not far from you is Eldorado Cafe (W. Anderson just inside of MoPac). Kind of hard to describe Mexican inspired food. Not TexMex, per se, but really really good. Doing to go (get the 'rita kit) and taking reservations to eat inside.
Aston 91
AG
I've been craving a Freddie's Plate from El Dorado for months now. Glad to hear they're finally open. Will have to get there early on the weekends to beat the crowd.
chet98
AG
Joel's Happy Plate? You may be confusing named food with Freddie's from the Dixie Chicken! Which also sounds good!
chet98
AG
Ooh I stand corrected, just checked the menu and Freddie's is a great looking breakfast item! Nice!
chet98
AG
OP check out Austin Terrier too. Also like Haru Sushi up in the arboretum area. Been getting to go from them during the pandemic and even pre-pandemic. Pretty quick run up 360 to them.

Back on W. Anderson Lane District is excellent (although haven't been since pre-COVID) and the new-ish pizza place Tony C's behind Starbucks has some tasty pizza, cold beer and actually really good salads.

Seven Spice in the island on Spicewood Springs (where Taco Shack is) has been getting good pub. Haven't been there yet ourselves. Same for the Korean place across the street.

Torchy's of course. Then in the Randall's parking lot at Spicewood Springs & Mesa there is a new BBQ truck getting good pub.
Hudson2508
AG
We just moved into area as well off Mesa north of Far West. Decided to leave Tarrytown since the Calis were taking over in a crazy way. We love El Dorado and Bidermans as well. Saffron is on the list to hit up as well. So much more available to us than the old hood and much nicer people up here.

If anyone has kids in the 2-6 range let me know, my two boys are anxious to make some friends in the neighborhood.
thirty-two
AG
Welcome to the 'hood!
Aggieangler93
AG
Be forewarned, these are not frilly places....so if you are a foodie....you may not like how cheap you can get good quality food at any of these places:

For honest well-priced BBQ, check out Bert's BBQ off Far West. Don't expect linen table cloths, but those guys have been cooking up Q for over 45 years in the same general area. Try the T-man....with jalapeno sausage.

The French Dip at Biederman's Deli is fantastic!

Jim's off 183 near Burnet Road is an old school diner with great breakfast and pies.

Top Notch off Burnet Road is a well known local burger drive in.

With the exception of Biederman's deli, these other places have stood the test of time for more than 40 years in Austin. Some folks go for all the latest trendy stuff, but I grew up here and hope to see the Mom and Pop places continue to hang on.

Don't get me started.....I am still pissed that we lost Holiday House, The Frisco, and the Omelettry!!!
Aston 91
AG
Didn't grow up here, but been here for about 20 years and agree - I try to support places that have stood the test of time. To clarify, The Omelettry didn't close, it moved to over to Airport and 47th. I liked the vibe at the old place, but the wait could be bad. The new place is in a strip shopping center, but has much more seating.
Hudson2508
AG
Top Notch is amazing. Can't ever go wrong there.

My only wish was that we had a better taco shop west of Mopac. Torchys and Taco Shack just don't do it for me.
Billy Foster
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Be forewarned, these are not frilly places....so if you are a foodie....you may not like how cheap you can get good quality food at any of these places:

For honest well-priced BBQ, check out Bert's BBQ off Far West. Don't expect linen table cloths, but those guys have been cooking up Q for over 45 years in the same general area. Try the T-man....with jalapeno sausage.

The French Dip at Biederman's Deli is fantastic!

Jim's off 183 near Burnet Road is an old school diner with great breakfast and pies.

Top Notch off Burnet Road is a well known local burger drive in.

With the exception of Biederman's deli, these other places have stood the test of time for more than 40 years in Austin. Some folks go for all the latest trendy stuff, but I grew up here and hope to see the Mom and Pop places continue to hang on.

Don't get me started.....I am still pissed that we lost Holiday House, The Frisco, and the Omelettry!!!

I agree with all of this. I grew up with Zach and his sister and they're a great old Austin family. I'm glad he opened the deli and hope they stick around for a long time. Wish we still had some of the old haunts listed above but Austin changes and people sell out. Berts was our staple in high school both on Koenig and Far West. The T-Man is still rock solid.
johnson2012
AG
Yes, the T-man! That one was when's m my rotation when the 24th location was open and I worked downtown.
rsemingson
Great old style Texmex at family owned Enchilada y mas on east Anderson Ln just past Burnet in the right. Cheap and no frills.
Credible Source
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Top Notch is amazing. Can't ever go wrong there.

My only wish was that we had a better taco shop west of Mopac. Torchys and Taco Shack just don't do it for me.

You ever tried Taco Deli? Pretty solid. Also some really great trailers on Burnet
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
El Dorado is easily the worst meal and margaritas I've had in Austin

Enchiladas y mas is the real deal
tlepoC
AG
El Dorado hasn't been quite as good post covid but it's still great. Will continue to be one of our regulars. Part of their greatness was how friendly and welcoming the staff was.

Carnitas Cubanos slathered in Scorpio is something I just can't get enough of.
Credible Source
AG
I don't care for El Dorado, Vazquez #3 on Burnet is REAL Mexican food. Enchiladas Y Mas is real Tex Mex. La Traila #3 in between the two on Burnet is the best Tacos I've ever had.
Hudson2508
AG
El Dorado is not Texmex but it's still great food. Their salsas are awesome.

Tacodeli is great but just not convenient from our house and open too late on the weekends. Would love to have a Veracruz on our side of Mopac somewhere.
wargograw
I lived in this area for a little over a year while attending Anderson. Always wanted to get back. Y'all are making me jealous.
KRamp90
AG
https://www.eltacorrido.com/location/el-tacorrido-burnet/

tlepoC
AG
KRamp90 said:

https://www.eltacorrido.com/location/el-tacorrido-burnet/

This place impressed me more than I expected based on appearances. I had forgotten about it though - thanks for the reminder.
Aggieangler93
AG
Aston 91 said:

Didn't grow up here, but been here for about 20 years and agree - I try to support places that have stood the test of time. To clarify, The Omelettry didn't close, it moved to over to Airport and 47th. I liked the vibe at the old place, but the wait could be bad. The new place is in a strip shopping center, but has much more seating.
This made my post worth it. I will have to get by the new Omlettry location soon! Thanks!
wadd96
AG
Not much farther up the road from Haru is Tomodachi on Parmer. We think it is the best sushi in Austin.
wadd96
AG
Also, Jay Tinney just opened up a BBQ spot at Mesa and Spicewood Springs.
tlepoC
AG
wadd96 said:

Not much farther up the road from Haru is Tomodachi on Parmer. We think it is the best sushi in Austin.
Shh. I live down the road a bit. By far the best Sushi in Austin that isn't at the Uchi level.
wadd96
AG
I like it better than Uchi. Much less pretentious.
Credible Source
AG
wadd96 said:

I think Soto is the best, but Tomo is excellent as well.
Credible Source
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Aston 91 said:

This made my post worth it. I will have to get by the new Omlettry location soon! Thanks!

I recently heard the story about the Omelettry. A husband wife and friend started it. The husband and wife split off and started Magnolia. The husband and wife got divorced and the wife started Kerby Lane. Guess she was the brains
Aggieangler93
AG
wadd96 said:

Also, Jay Tinney just opened up a BBQ spot at Mesa and Spicewood Springs.
What is this one called? I may have to check in on it.
wadd96
AG
Tunney BBQ.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.