Austin
Sponsored by

AISD vs LTISD

3,889 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Guy on a Buffalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a big difference? I live out in Lakeway and my son's mom lives in Manchaca. He has gone to private school since pre-k and is now choosing a high school (private is out of the question at this point).

Is there a big difference between Bowie and Lake Travis? Help me sift through the rumors and reputations and just speak to factual differences (or similarities).

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
wadd96
AG
If your kid is sports minded at all, LTISD.

Other than that, I got nothing except AISD is going to be operating under a massive funding shortfall again this year.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BrokeAssAggie
I would avoid AISD like the plague
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Help me understand why.

-----------------------
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Can you explain the shortfall?

-----------------------
BrokeAssAggie
From my personal experience.

-Horrible Administration
-Poor facilities
-If your child needs accommodations, good luck getting any real help
-Majority of resources and time spent on teaching about pride week, critical race theory, gender identity, being inclusive, etc. instead of actually teaching kids reading, writing, math and science.
wadd96
AG
Dropping enrollments as Austin proper gets populated with DINKs.

Rising housing prices forcing people to the burbs.

****ty management.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
milkman00
AG
Bowie is , or was, one of the better AISD high schools. But a lot can change in 25 years.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
LTHS has excellent opportunities athletically and in academics and just about anything thing else you can think. Great staff and administration.

Flip side - the school is massive and ultra competitive.
Archie86
Is this a serious question? LTISD by a long shot.
HECUBUS
AG
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/texas/rankings/austin-tx-12420

Bowie and LT are more the same than different these days. I've still got a rising sophomore at WL.
wargograw
I went to Westlake three years and Anderson for one and those are pretty comparable to the two you mention (respectively).

It was absolutely night and day how much better the education was at Westlake.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
HECUBUS said:

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/texas/rankings/austin-tx-12420

Bowie and LT are more the same than different these days. I've still got a rising sophomore at WL.

The problem with this ranking is that it places a lot of weight on mastery of the state-administered testing. I am far more concerned with things like critical race theory and social indoctrination; I've heard a lot of negative things about AISD in this regard and also that LTISD has held that at bay somewhat.

-----------------------
HECUBUS
AG
Ahh, politics. No idea about that. Not many people are that wound up in politics and not many kids are that gullible. Good luck.
Charpie
AG
Out of all the AISD schools, Bowie is probably the best, followed by Anderson and McCallum.

The question really is, what are you trying to get out of it?

Is he going to do sports? How good is he? If super good, then LT all the way.

If he's not going to do sports, you can't go wrong with Bowie. The biggest drawback for Bowie is that it's freaking MASSIVE. Teachers at Bowie (I have two friends that teach there) aren't liberal compared to other AISD schools.

Good luck!
wargograw
HECUBUS said:

Ahh, politics. No idea about that. Not many people are that wound up in politics and not many kids are that gullible. Good luck.

You serious? The kids buy this stuff in droves. You really think they're not buying the massive LGBT push?
The Silverback
AG
We are in process of moving our 3 kids from Bowie system (AISD) to LTISD.

Covid was eye opening of how terrible AISD is. Although mine are all young right now, have friends with kids at Bowie and apparently a lot of the faculty there are liberals pushing their political ideology on the kids. Some of them blatantly too.

Add all that and then go take a look at Lake Travis High School and compare to Bowie....Night and Day the facilities and resources they have there. Can a kid end up fine at both schools? Absolutely. In fact, the pressure and competition at LT can be a detriment to some people, but I figured if you don't try and put your kids in the best possible position to succeed you are doing them a disservice.
HECUBUS
AG
Just pointing out Bowie has good academics as does LT. I wasn't aware of anything about your real concerns with a "massive LGBT push" that you believe kids fall for in droves.

Again, no idea about politics at these schools and never heard anything about that from the people I know with kids in those schools. None of the people I know are political fanatics though.

Good luck with that.
CapCity12thMan
AG
don't have kids in either district, but listening to our friends in both, it's not even close. LTISD by a long shot.
Charpie
AG
I changed my mind.

Get your kid out of AISD now. Heck if Westlake is an option, you'll have huge success there as well.
wargograw
HECUBUS said:

Just pointing out Bowie has good academics as does LT. I wasn't aware of anything about your real concerns with a "massive LGBT push" that you believe kids fall for in droves.

Again, no idea about politics at these schools and never heard anything about that from the people I know with kids in those schools. None of the people I know are political fanatics though.

Good luck with that.

The politics at these schools are unavoidable just when I go play tennis there. Almost every door's got an "ally" sign. Or trans people welcome here. Or BLM. etc. I've seen this stuff even at middle schools.

If you don't realize that's politics I don't know what to tel you.
HECUBUS
AG
It's sad that we live in a time where people feel that these signs are needed and that the people they target get angered by them. I've never noticed these signs at any school and we've been to every baseball field, track and gym. I guess you see what you look for.

Political fanatics can find a way to be miserable anywhere.

BrokeAssAggie
I'm not angry by it but it's not the schools place to push these agendas. The AISD school buses of big ass rainbow stickers to celebrate pride week. The school should be focusing on teaching academics not gender identity, BLM matters, etc.
The Silverback
AG
HECUBUS said:

It's sad that we live in a time where people feel that these signs are needed and that the people they target get angered by them. I've never noticed these signs at any school and we've been to every baseball field, track and gym. I guess you see what you look for.

Its everywhere whether you look for it or not, most of the time its more subluminal that blatant. Example, a HS Jr. at Bowie has been baby sitting for my kids the past couple of years. She said there have been multiple teachers at Bowie who grade papers based on how they perceive the content as it relates to their view on politics. So if you don't write a paper geared towards how you perceive the teacher will view it your grade is effected by it. She is at least keen enough to realize this and write the damn paper how the teacher wants it as opposed to her own thoughts and ideas, and can joke about it after the fact. But a majority of kids are writing papers on ideas and thoughts they are pushed down on them, and they don't even realize it. Their school paper also has multiple examples of political agendas and propaganda (don't have specific examples of this, only going off what i was told).

This same concept and issues are exasperated on college campuses all over the country now as well. So to your point you can chose to see/realize these issues, not care about them or be complicit and encourage this behavior.

I am personally doing my best to help put my kids in a position to be free thinkers. Add to that the resources LTISD provides and simply being surrounded by a greater number of people who are striving to be better and LTISD is a no brainer over Bowie, and this is coming from a Bowie alum.
ContinentalAg
Bowie is one of the better AISD schools, but it's still in AISD and the district pushes out a lot of stupid stuff. They handled Covid terribly, and a huge portion if the district is basically a year behind. That will impact kids for years as next year's classes will be filled with kids not ready for the material. My friends with kids in AISD almost universally talk about how bad it is.
wargograw
HECUBUS said:

You must be blind then. And like I said if you don't think kids are falling for it I don't know what to tell you.

You clearly have a "people care too much about politics" schtick going and that's fine, but this particularly thing doesn't support your case whatsoever.
BrokeAssAggie
Here's another option for you

Charpie
AG
I already recommended it.

I'm shocked that they are an open district. I think its great!
BrokeAssAggie
I think they have lost a bit to private schools
Charpie
AG
I have a friend who sent her son to Westwood then moved to get her daughter into Westlake. Academics were on par, however, at Westlake, the teachers work with the kids to ensure success. It suited her daughter well.

Go get into Westlake. It would be totally worth it.
Come Out Roll
AG
Guys, Westlake is Eanes ISD...and Westwood is Round Rock ISD...

Lake Travis vs Bowie in ANYTHING is like comparing apples to sledgehammers....
My kids went to LISD...Cedar Park...great schools....
Charpie
AG
We know!
HECUBUS
AG
Just messing with you. You should be afraid of "it" and avoid "it" at all costs. "It" might be contagious.
rcannaday
AG
WL & LT Schools are >>>>>>>> any AISD schools except for maybe LASA. I would only put my kids in AISD if they were in LASA. If I had to live in the AISD school district I would find a private school.
aTm papi
IHIOGA that one of the Bowie English teachers said that toxic masculinity in South Austin comes from football and Christianity. The teacher also used to be the NHS sponsor. It makes you think what else are they teaching the kids.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.