Austin
Sponsored by

Pool recommendations, Anthony & Sylvan?

6,260 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wahoo82
Swope McGee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like the rest of the world it seems, we want to put a pool in our backyard and are getting bids. Anthony & Sylvan seems like the best option so far, but there are some bad reviews out there on BBB and has me re-thinking. Does anyone have recent experience with them?
We've looked at Cody (about $20k more than everyone else), Premier Pools and Spa, Innovative Pools and Spa, and then a few smaller builders.

We're in central Austin and are running into an impervious coverage issue amd don't have room for a lot of decking. It's been suggested that we do the decking after the city signs off on the pool. Anyone else gone slightly over coverage rules afte the fact? Not sure if it would cause issues when selling.

Thanks for any input.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Texas Tiny Pools, the product and customer service is superior, we don't have a deck we have a pool cover the price is more however
tailgatetimer10
AG
I hate to highjack but do any of these people do plaster repair?

wargograw
Check out California Pools. I know the owner FWIW.
The Silverback
AG
wargograw said:

Check out California Pools. I know the owner FWIW.
They did awesome job on my pool
Apache
AG
Iconic Pools is Aggie owned & does a great job.
If you are price sensitive, you can't beat Cody Pools however.
I've done work on the same jogs as Texas Tiny Pools & California Pools & they seem to do nice work, though the California Pool guys did some silly logistical things that left me scratching my head. (Probably just a brain dead subcontractor & not anything to do with California Pools though)
Swope McGee
AG
That's interesting feedback on Cody pools. They came in much higher than all the other bids. I was expecting to see Cody, Premier, and A&S all come in around the same price, but That was not the case. My sales guy seemed somewhat new, so I'm not sure he priced it correctly.
@Apache - have you seen any pools done by Anthony Sylvan?

I'm going to call Iconic and California Pools tomorrow.
On the advice of an earlier thread, I called Johnson Custom as well, but they couldn't even start the process until January.
JAW3336
AG
DO NOT use premier. They will not honor their warranty.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
Swope McGee
AG
Thanks for that. The experience with them has been pretty subpar from the jump. The sales guy from Premier has still not sent me a full proposal, but he was trying to get me to "close" last weekend.
And then last night he sent over his full costing breakdown. He realized his mistake and sent me a text at 11:30 pm asking me to delete the email.
aggielax11
AG
Got a quote from them and definitely not the cheapest but I do like the design he came up with and actually went with what we asked. Had a guy come out today and each time we said we wanted something he then tell us we don't need that or you don't want that. Wasn't sure if he was building our pool or his own. Was working on a 3rd bid but they haven't reached back out. So glad to hear you were happy with California Pools. Pretty sure that's who we are going with. He gets you with his design lol.
Potcake
AG
We used Elite Pools in 2012. Randy was great to work with and we've had zero issues.
rather be fishing
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I hate to highjack but do any of these people do plaster repair?

Brothers Pools does plaster. I had him do an estimate for a house we own in Belton, but he is in RR I believe.
The Silverback
AG
aggielax11 said:

Got a quote from them and definitely not the cheapest but I do like the design he came up with and actually went with what we asked. Had a guy come out today and each time we said we wanted something he then tell us we don't need that or you don't want that. Wasn't sure if he was building our pool or his own. Was working on a 3rd bid but they haven't reached back out. So glad to hear you were happy with California Pools. Pretty sure that's who we are going with. He gets you with his design lol.
Nice....FWIW, we are selling our house right now and the pool inspector made a couple comments on how well built our pool was.
Bob_Ag
AG
Interested in this thread. We are in the process of getting quotes. So far have had Denali and Premier Pools and Spas out. Cody McFayden of Waterview Pools has been emailing back and forth with my wife on designs and renderings. Still have John Pack Custom Pools, Jaida Custom Pools and Cody Pools coming out in the next couple weeks.

So far Denali and Premier felt pretty similar, although Premier does have the big chain type of vibe to it. Cody is definitely old school and seems to be a straight shooter, but I never even heard of this company till recently. Any thoughts on any of these companies? I also talked to Joel at Reliant Pools and I think he would do a high quality job, but he wanted $250 for the consultation and wanted me to spend a couple grand out of pocket for core samples. I can only imagine how high his pool bid will be.
mforce
AG
Also following this thread. We received a quote from Cody last week right around $100k for what I would consider a fairly basic pool (no heater, no spa, no in-ground cleaning). Tough market to be a buyer right now. Checking with other recommendations from this thread as well as others but it is getting difficult even getting a consultation with some builders.
HowdyTAMU
AG
mforce said:

Also following this thread. We received a quote from Cody last week right around $100k for what I would consider a fairly basic pool (no heater, no spa, no in-ground cleaning). Tough market to be a buyer right now. Checking with other recommendations from this thread as well as others but it is getting difficult even getting a consultation with some builders.
Crazy. Size and gallons?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
HowdyTAMU said:

mforce said:

Crazy. Size and gallons?

There have been a ton of pools go in within 2-3 blocks of me the last 6 months. It baffling how many to be honest. Is it crazy low interest rates on cash out refis driving super high demand?
Complete Idiot
Yes, probably.
Potcake
AG
People spending more time at home also.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I did Reliant with Joel and zero complaints.

It was higher than most, but I got what I paid for
Complete Idiot
DeangeloVickers said:

It was higher than most, but I got what I paid for

It was in line with most as far as cost, and the design for my layout was better than the other quotes I got - I got more than I would have paid for with others.
Bob_Ag
AG
Well we signed with Denali Pools on Friday. We shall see how it goes.
Dr T and the Women
AG
Bob_Ag said:

Interested in this thread. We are in the process of getting quotes. So far have had Denali and Premier Pools and Spas out. Cody McFayden of Waterview Pools has been emailing back and forth with my wife on designs and renderings. Still have John Pack Custom Pools, Jaida Custom Pools and Cody Pools coming out in the next couple weeks.

So far Denali and Premier felt pretty similar, although Premier does have the big chain type of vibe to it. Cody is definitely old school and seems to be a straight shooter, but I never even heard of this company till recently. Any thoughts on any of these companies? I also talked to Joel at Reliant Pools and I think he would do a high quality job, but he wanted $250 for the consultation and wanted me to spend a couple grand out of pocket for core samples. I can only imagine how high his pool bid will be.
I used Waterview. Cody is actually the namesake for Cody Pools... he started it and sold it.

He has a ton of experience. Not very polished but does a good job and was very fast in the pill
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mforce
AG
Apache said:

California Pool guys did some silly logistical things that left me scratching my head. (Probably just a brain dead subcontractor & not anything to do with California Pools though)

Would you be able to elaborate? Talking with CP along with a few others and would be interested in hearing more.
Swope McGee
AG
Out of curiosity, how much more was the CP quote vs the Cody quote?

mforce
AG
We are still early in our discussion with CP but seems like they will be quite a bit cheaper.
Swope McGee
AG
Wow. When I talked to California Pools, they gave me a starting at price that was about $20k higher than Cody. And they couldn't start building until after the summer and after they took a soil sample amd an engineering site survey.

We signed with A&S amd are waiting on the permits from the city to get started.
We really liked our sales guy and they came in right in the middle of all the bids.
Apache
AG
One example:
They had a skytrack forklift on a job to move some metal beams for an elevated deck in a back yard attached to the pool.

They also had multiple pallets of stone (1.5-2 tons each) sitting in the front yard that needed to go on top of the concrete pool decking in the back yard.

Rather than use the skytrack sitting on the job to move the stone, the masons wheelbarrowed around 10 tons of stone around back & carried them piece by piece up a flight of stairs slowing the job down by several days.
The project manager could have had all stone sitting on the deck where the masons could have been installing the same day if the skytrack was used. Just dumb, but you see it all the time in construction.
TamuKid
AG
Reached out to a local company in Round Rock and got pricing examples that floored me.
They sent fact sheets with examples of pretty basic pools.

Starting at $142,500 for a basic pool/spa combo (20x30 pool, 6ft deep, ~550sqft of decking, no landscaping, no features, no equipment upgrades, etc).

Starting at $202,500 for a 34'x23', 6ft deep, pool on a slope with stone waterfall on entire sloping side, and elevated spa with spillover at 600 sqft of decking.
bearzo
AG
Which company was this??

Seems like those prices are nearly double what they should be!
TamuKid
AG
Johnson Custom.

Denali told me 75 for basic pool. 95 for basic pool/spa.
locoAG
AG
I agree. DO NOT use Premier. I made the mistake of signing with Premier in January. It's almost Sep and we are still waiting on them to finish. I would avoid them regardless of their "we use our own labor" pitch.
Wahoo82
AG
Millennium Pools did our pool years ago and it has been great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.