Austin
Sponsored by

Property Tax Protest Companies

3,168 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HECUBUS
Spider69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is Resolute Tax Solutions as good as other companies? I've usually just eFiled my protest to TCAD in the past. Most adjustments have been modest, imo.

Thanks for advice!
AustinScubaAg
AG
I do not think it matters this year you are probably screwed.
jopatura
AG
The only saving grace this year is that it's Jan 1 data, not April data.

I would not use a company that requires payment upfront or payment just for protesting.
Btron
AG
I've used Five Stone and they have been awesome!
rcannaday
AG
+1 for Five Stone
tamc91
AG
I used Five Stone and ProTax. Both had relatively similar success. ProTax changed their fee structure where it is a minimum plus percentage of savings. I believe Five Stone is still a percentage, and they give a portion of the proceeds to local charities.
HECUBUS
AG
Protax said they were going to charge a minimum and we decided not to pay the minimum. Then, they sent us an email recently and are they are not charging us a minimum. It's still the same percentage. They did require a minimum on some people we know for their rental property. Not all properties get the same deal.

In these parts, the average sale price is almost 50% above 2020 tax assessments according to Zillow. Our evaluations were frozen in 2020 at 2019 values, so it's actually 50% above the 2019 evaluations. I don't know if that gap is big or small compared to other areas, but everybody I know uses Protax or something similar.
rcannaday
AG
The key is to get your neighbors to also protest, thus the comps the companies can use all go one direction and everyone wins less the tax man.
The Dirty Sock
I quit using five stone because of the fee structure change. No way would I have come out ahead using them this year.
Leeman
You realize if you protest and they say your value is higher than what they quoted, you will get hosed.
CapCity12thMan
AG
got raised the max 10% (again). Fortunately not in CoA taxing jurisdiction, but still this is ridiculous. I have used Texas ProTax for a few years now.

2017-2018: valuation went down 4%
2018-2019: valuation went up 10%
2019-2020: valuation went down 1.3%
2020-2021: valuation went up 10%
Senator Blutarski
AG
Holy Californication Tax Assessment, Batman. The taxes on my central Austin rental property (no homestead exemption) just increased 50%, and I'm going to be shocked if I can pass that along to the current tenant. At least it's going towards more police and solving the homeless problem.
Spider69
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

I do not think it matters this year you are probably screwed.

Actually my 2021 appraised value went down about $35,000 but I'm still protesting it.

I'm locked in with my Homestead and over 65 age.
HECUBUS
AG
In the last four years our improvement tax appraisal is up 160%. Does it really cost 160% more to build a home today than four years ago? I doubt it.

We're up 12% and at 62% of Zillow.
Vade281
AG
Woo hoo, got my value decreased by 15k. Pretty easy conversation when they use my own house as a comp and then say it's worth 15k more than that lol
MouthBQ98
AG
They tend to invite to the well organized protest companies. At least, the companies know all the tricks and arguments used to drum up the value.
tamc93
AG
Any updates on successes? It sounds like mine is still pending.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
I bleed maroon
AG
If you look at TravisCAD.org, you can see the date of your formal protest. Informals are usually in May, and the finals are July or so.

Mine is scheduled for 7/8/21, and I sure hope my protest agent (Texas ProTax) achieves a sizable reduction of the 62.7% increase over last year.
tamc93
AG
I bleed maroon said:

If you look at TravisCAD.org, you can see the date of your formal protest. Informals are usually in May, and the finals are July or so.

Mine is scheduled for 7/8/21, and I sure hope my protest agent (Texas ProTax) achieves a sizable reduction of the 62.7% increase over last year.
Thanks. I had not seen that. Mine are both blank still
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
tamc93
AG
Well my protest company reduced my appraised value by a whopping $72.00.

I will take it as a moral win to hopefully stand better ground next year.

Not happy with the communication of the company and only found out that they had settled since I called TCAD.

HECUBUS
AG
Protax got our improvements reduced $80k, but didn't change our tax amount, so free of charge.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.