Austin
Sponsored by

Conservative Vet Recommendations

2,710 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tlepoC
macbateman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi! Getting a new puppy (hunting companion dog) soon and looking for a conservative vet in the Austin/Cedar Park (even willing to venture further if needed) area. I am from a small town with a conservative aggie vet and hoping to find the same somewhere here. All recommendations are appreciated!!
Potcake
AG
Now, this is how you troll!!
Aggietaco
AG
Dr. Davies used to be our vet at Arbor Animal Clinic who has since moved to Firehouse in RR. She got her vet degree at A&M.

https://firehouseroundrock.com/

dsvogel05
AG
Dr. Dana (yes, she's an Aggie) at Animal Wellness Hospital in Taylor is great for my 3 dogs.
BurnetAggie99
Dr. Dan McBride - Burnet Vet Clinic
Ag in tu land
AG
I highly recommend Northwest Austin Veterinary Center on Jollyville. Dr. Walden is definitely old school and won't try to up sale and guilt you into the latest and greatest things your animal "needs".

We moved and tried another vet closer to our house and $400 later for a routine visit we were back with Dr. Walden. My wife doesn't no how to say no to doctor's recommendations.

I love Aggie vets but the vet school must have added a business class or two called "how to maximize your treatments and average spend per visit".
SteveBott
AG
I've had two upsale vets and both times they got one visit and I became a former client. I don't mind caring for my animals but I balance needs versus wishes.
The Fall Guy
AG
Potcake said:

Now, this is how you troll!!

Don't want any Beta pets.

ZIIINGG!!
Martin Cash
AG
If you're willing to venture, Bill Selman at Town and Country Veterinary in Creedmoor.
Charpie
AG
How do you know the political persuasions of your vet? It's literally never come up with mine
SteveBott
AG
His post is not about political belief. He is asking what vets out there that are minimalist in their care recommendations
FredMc92
Dr Sarge O'Larmy in Cedar Park is the guy you want. He recently spent some quality time in the nation's capital on Jan 6 (if you know what I mean, and I think you do).

He'll make sure your pets don't become "woke" and can recommend good pet foods that are certified antifa-free.

Only accepts former students who were in the Corps, too. But not BQs - the doc has standards.
Charpie
AG
Whew.

Then don't go to the big chain places.

Also, depending on what part of town you are at, consider AVES for your emergency care. Don't get me wrong, I love all the others, but AVES was extremely thorough, and the fact that I got the same treatment plan for my two dogs at another clinic that was $500 less expensive, I'll be going to AVES from now on in an emergency.

Also, make friends with a country vet.
SteveBott
AG
Umm you are not a the top of your game today. The OP said Austin/Cedar Park area. So I assume NW Austin along 183
Potcake
AG
Yea, owners sure don't need to know the available options in order to decide for themselves how to proceed with heir pet.
Charpie
AG
I also said for emergency vet care. To save 500, I'd drive to 2222/360 every day
SteveBott
AG
First Potcake has inherit bias in this thread. He is married to a vet. I did not say a vet should give treatment options. Of course that should. What they should not do is charge for care without discussion with the client and provide outcomes and costs.

Perfect example of overreach. When I moved to Austin from CA I took a dog to a vet to make sure he had his required shots to be legal in Texas. I felt he needed 2-4 vacs. When I got back to pick him up they gave every shot they possibly could and double of what I expected. That was one and only visit that vet got.

Second example. I had a 11 year old Lab that was fine the night before but in the morning she had a huge extension in her stomach, could not get up and was laboring to just breath. I rushed her to my preferred vet, then Dr Sunstrum (retired unfortunately). He called me and said if could be one of two problems. To just diagnose her it would be 500-700 dollars then 1000-1500 for treatment. I asked if treated what would be the outcomes and neither were very good. Just extending life for 6-8 months. I told him I was sending the wife and kids over to say their last goodbye.
Potcake
AG
I'm not sure how my post was biased at all. In 19 years on TA I have never mentioned her name, hospital, or referred anyone to her. I have cajoled her into advice from time to time. On top of that, she isn't a GP and doesn't do immunizations. I responded to yours and other posts deriding the options provided as "upselling".
SteveBott
AG
And I provided an example of upselling and another doing it the correct way
dmart90
AG
We've been going to Buttercup Creek in Cedar Park for the better part of 30 years. They've always treated our pets well.
rather be fishing
AG
We followed Dr. Dreibelbis around from Cedar Park to West Lynn before we left. She's now off of Far West, I believe.
bmfvet
AG
This is a double edged sword and ultimately different people want different levels of care for their pets based on multiple reasons. You can find whatever level of care you're looking for, often at the same clinic. We are upfront with our clients and try to provide accurate estimates before every appointment. Our clinic tends to do more which would not fall under the conservative label in the OP. I've also treated pets that had been seeing a conservative vet for years and they probably spent more than if they had diagnosed and treated the underlying problem in the beginning. Veterinarians would make a third less revenue if clients did what we said.
‘99
bmfvet
AG
Charpie said:

Whew.

Then don't go to the big chain places.

Also, depending on what part of town you are at, consider AVES for your emergency care. Don't get me wrong, I love all the others, but AVES was extremely thorough, and the fact that I got the same treatment plan for my two dogs at another clinic that was $500 less expensive, I'll be going to AVES from now on in an emergency.

Also, make friends with a country vet.

I'm surprised that AVES was cheaper as they tend to be the highest cost EC our clients go to.
‘99
Charpie
AG
I live NW. We've taken my mongrels to AVES, and the two emergency places in Round Rock. I paid at least $500 more for the exact same treatment that AVES did. The dogs presented with vomiting in all three scenarios. Full blood work, ultrasound and X-rays.
macbateman
AG
Thank you all for the recommendations! I definitely meant conservative in there approach and not a vet who wants to Nickle and Dime me. Also, I am a "she" not a "he" but thank you nonetheless!

Thanks again!!
tlepoC
AG
North Lamar Vet Clinic. Spellman.

Trust me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.