Austin
Sponsored by

North loop/Allandale

3,027 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Copperpot
barbacoa taco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got a place in north loop that i'm moving into this week. Wanted to live in south Austin more but this is what I got and given the circumstances with the housing market i'm okay with it.

I'm not very familiar with this area. What do yall think of it? Recommendations for things to do/places to eat/bars/coffee/outdoors etc? Trying to get to know the areas of the city outside downtown and immediate surroundings.

single dude, early 30s fwiw.
MouthBQ98
AG
I usually work in that area, off north loop nearer to Lamar. It's commercial and old development suburbs with a lot of redevelopment of townhomes and apartments. Lots of restaurants and bars up and down Burnet.
JohnnyShotgun
You're pretty much in the middle of town and can get most places pretty quick. That being said that area has dozens of bars and restaurants within walking and short driving distance. Uncle Billy's for beers and burgers, Draught House for more beers, La Mancha for Mexican, el Caribe for the strongest margs in town, and the list goes on. Enjoy
emando2000
AG
I work in the area. Food spots I like in the are are T22, Pinthouse Pizza and La Mancha. I've got to know Will & John over at La Mancha over the years so I'm a bit partial. But I gotta say, their food is pretty damn good for the price.... and it's fresh.

Bars... Ok spots. Lala's, Local Post...
The Fall Guy
AG
Local Post! Great after work bar.
KRamp90
AG
It's always Christmas at Lala's!

Also:

https://www.eltacorrido.com/location/el-tacorrido-burnet/

Frozen Concoction
Billy's on Burnet is great for burgers and beer. They only have to-go orders for food for now, though you can eat on their (unfortunately small) patio. Billy and Alex are good people.

We used to like Blackstar Co-op on Lamar. Their menu has shrunk in the past couple of years, and we haven't been since COVID.

Stiles Switch is a winner for above average, low-hassle barbecue.
The Fall Guy
AG
Billy's is down the st from my work. Good burgers where you can have a quiet lunch pre Covid.

Copperpot
AG
So many good spots. I live in Rosedale (45th/Burnet).

Beer: Draught House, Billy's and Pinthouse
Burgers: Billy's on Burnet (fwiw...Billy's an Ag)
Tex-Mex: La Mancha and Taco Flats
Pizza: VIA313, Pinthouse and Home Slice
BBQ: Stiles Switch (fwiw...the owner is an Ag)
Coffee: Monkey Nest, Stinsons, Pacha, Houndstooth and Merit

I'm 40 fwiw.

Potcake
AG
We've been in Brentwood since 2012.
This is definitely the pizza coridor. In addition to the ones mentioned:
Bufalina Due
DeSano's
Little Deli
Brooklyn Pie

Best breakfast tacos are at La Cocina de Consuelo
+1 on El Caribe margaritas and Carla is a pistol. Taco Flats has a good margarita also.
T22 has great hot chicken
Little Woodrow's is our regular bar
We go to Jack Allen's Kitchen for HH. The fried catfish is 1/2 price and excellent.
As someone else mentioned, you can get almost anywhere in town in 20+ minutes.
It's a great area without the density of South Austin. I was hellbent on South Austin but am really glad we're in this part of town.
expresswrittenconsent
Burnet/Koenig is a great part of town to live.
Copperpot
AG
Great beer selection at the Shell station at North Loop & Burnet.
AggieOO
Lots of good suggestions. I'll add Michi Ramen. I prefer it over Tatsuya
expresswrittenconsent
Almost every pizza spot listed (home slice, little deli, pinthouse, via313, desanos, etc) has multiple austin locations so the whole town is kinda "pizza corridor".
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Work horse bar and Aristocrat
For other dives

Billy's is a top burger in Austin
fig96
AG
austinaggie2003 said:

So many good spots. I live in Rosedale (45th/Burnet).

Beer: Draught House, Billy's and Pinthouse
Burgers: Billy's on Burnet (fwiw...Billy's an Ag)
Tex-Mex: La Mancha and Taco Flats
Pizza: VIA313, Pinthouse and Home Slice
BBQ: Stiles Switch (fwiw...the owner is an Ag)
Coffee: Monkey Nest, Stinsons, Pacha, Houndstooth and Merit

Monkey Nest and Pacha should not be in the same sentence as Houndstooth and Merit (though Pacha's breakfast is great).

Like the rest of your list though
Aston 91
AG
Some may call this blasphemy, but a surprising fact about Billy's is they've got good vegetarian options (frito pie, burgers, and hot dogs). Even if it's not applicable to you, the odds of needing to accommodate a vegetarian at some point are fairly high so it's something to keep in mind.
MouthBQ98
AG
austinaggie2003 said:

Great beer selection at the Shell station at North Loop & Burnet.

Just watch the dates, some of them are a bit aged on the shelf.
Potcake
AG
Frito Pie burger is legit
Copperpot
AG
Mmm, shelf aged beer.

Rosedale Mart and Sunrise Mart have great beer selections too.
Copperpot
AG
I know their coffee is so so, but I'm a sucker for the atmosphere in Pacha on a Saturday morning. I like cramped and busy.

The spicy monkey at Monkey Nest is legit.
Copperpot
AG
The veggie options at Billy's are worth a try for even for the most ferocious carnivore. All are good. Also, the cheese curds and fried green beans are pretty badass.
Potcake
AG
austinaggie2003 said:

Mmm, shelf aged beer.

The Shell at Koenig/Woodrow has a good selection too but nobody can outbeer the Flag Store.
stamper
AG
The new Thom's Market at corner of burnet and koenig where 7-11 used to be also has a very solid beer selection. Maybe not the quantity of the flag store but high quality stuff.
Aston 91
AG
Pleasantly surprised to see I'm not the only one who like the veggie options at Billy's. I'm not vegetarian, but it's nice to have good options. I must say the cheese curds and fried green beans sound disgusting to me, but my wife will definitely try them next time we're there.
AggieOO
Potcake said:

austinaggie2003 said:

Mmm, shelf aged beer.

The Shell at Koenig/Woodrow has a good selection too but nobody can outbeer the Flag Store.
never been in there. Better than Sunrise?
Potcake
AG
Which one, Koenig Shell or Flag Store? I would say the Flag Store has more variety than Spec's.
fig96
AG
austinaggie2003 said:

I know their coffee is so so, but I'm a sucker for the atmosphere in Pacha on a Saturday morning. I like cramped and busy.

The spicy monkey at Monkey Nest is legit.
Fair, I am a fan of their breakfast. And I've tried Monkey Nest a few times and never been impressed, I'll have to try that next time I'm over there.
AggieOO
Potcake said:

Which one, Koenig Shell or Flag Store? I would say the Flag Store has more variety than Spec's.
you said no one can out beer the flag store, so I was referring to that place. Sunrise (on Anderson) also has a much better selection, than most, if not all, Specs. I'd never even heard for the flag store, but i've always been up north. Sunrise is a staple for craft beer folks, so I was just curious if I'm missing something by not stopping in when i'm down that way.
Potcake
AG
It's about a regular-sized convenience store but 80% beer. And you could probably pick up one of those hard to find Angolan or Latvian flags.
barbacoa taco
AG
Aston 91 said:

Pleasantly surprised to see I'm not the only one who like the veggie options at Billy's. I'm not vegetarian, but it's nice to have good options. I must say the cheese curds and fried green beans sound disgusting to me, but my wife will definitely try them next time we're there.
Vegetarian/vegan meals are good from time to time, even if you dont regularly have that diet. I went to this vegan falafel sandwich place when I was in Spain a few times and it was SO DAMN GOOD.
SkyMoose
AG
The Gyros at Phoenicia are out of this world. The pita bread is very light and tastes great. On Burnet around 47th
Pythagoras
Wow! I didn't realize there were so many Ags living in my neighborhood!

We should have a Rosedale/Allandale Ag get-together. We've got three young kids, so hopefully you're not scared off by us.

Post a reply if you're interested!

Steve '98
SkyMoose
AG
Pythagoras said:

GWow! I didn't realize there were so many Ags living in my neighborhood!

We should have a Rosedale/Allandale Ag get-together. We've got three young kids, so hopefully you're not scared off by us.

Post a reply if you're interested!

Steve '98
I've actually been thinking the same thing. I've lived in austin forever, but just moved into Rosedale and don't know a soul. All of my neighbors seem to be old, retired, and not that into sports. Of course I'm old, almost retired - but totally into Aggie sports - so that's completely different. Kids don't scare us - as long as you take them back with you when you leave. Mine are both at A&M right now. We have a third kid who has long hair, four legs, and likes to poop in public.

With the current state of Aggie Baseball, I'm not sure a watch party would draw much interest. I'm down for a get together though. We need to jump on it now, before furnace blast season hits.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The flag store is in Hyde Park so include us to!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.